Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inaka

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
If you go with the 13" rMBP, I have the STM Bags Alley Air Small for 11" and 13" MacBook Air from eBags, and it fits the 13" rMBP like a glove. (The 15" rMBP wont fit.)

232817_1_1
232817_1_2
232817_1_4

$36 shipped. I love the bag. Small and very portable.

bgiaach

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
NYC
At first when I posted this thread I had few replies and I was really torn between the 13 and 15. I haven't placed my order just yet but I think with the influx of comments I think I'll be confident in my decision. As we all know apple products arn't cheap so it's always good to hear opinions from actual users and not just website reviews or salesmen influenced by many outside voices. Thanks MacRumors community!

Mercmanman

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2012
Canada
It is switchable, you can force to only run the integrated graphics.
If you really want portability, yet just a little slower performance to 13" rMBP, get the 13" MBA.
If you want a REAL pro machine but light and with value, get the 13" cMBP for value and cost or directly go to 15" rMBP which is lighter than the 13" cMBP but with a larger footprint and get alot more performance out of that machine.

13" rMBP is a ripoff, money-grubbing machine that is an embarrassment to Apple.

Or get a 13"rMBP and get a nice screen in a smaller package then a 13 MBA, with more performance. It's the perfect blend of MBA and cMBP...with a fantastic display, rather then an average display. For me, the display is what i look at while not attached to an external TBD...so having the best is worth a couple of hundred bucks over the MBA...
Obviously though you seem to have some emotional attachment to it being a ripoff...so I think you should not ever even look at one in a store.

07dodge

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Well, thanks to everyones advice, I picked up my base 15" Retina today...completely blown away! This thing is GORGEOUS!!:eek:

Totally made the right call going 15" over the 13"

samuelk0814

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
You definitely made the right choice in getting the 15'' rMBP (I used to have it until I decided to return it and wait for next year because I didn't need a computer at the moment)
IMO, getting the 13'' rMBP right now is the worst possible way you can use your money. $1699 for a computer with i7 DUAL core processor, integrated graphics, and only 128 gb of SSD? LOL! ONLY A COMPLETE IDIOT WOULD BUY THAT! REALLY APPLE? REALLY APPLE? REALLY APPLE?

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
You definitely made the right choice in getting the 15'' rMBP (I used to have it until I decided to return it and wait for next year because I didn't need a computer at the moment)
IMO, getting the 13'' rMBP right now is the worst possible way you can use your money. $1699 for a computer with i7 DUAL core processor, integrated graphics, and only 128 gb of SSD? LOL! ONLY A COMPLETE IDIOT WOULD BUY THAT! REALLY APPLE? REALLY APPLE? REALLY APPLE?

Even if it is a rip-off, that laptop is one of a kind for that form factor. Apple takes advantage of it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got the 13 inch just yesterday because the 15 is already too big for me to carry to classes and the library.

the only lag i'm experiencing so far is scrolling pages on higher resolution in safari. it worked better on my mid 2009 mbp

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
i got the 13 inch just yesterday because the 15 is already too big for me to carry to classes and the library.

the only lag i'm experiencing so far is scrolling pages on higher resolution in safari. it worked better on my mid 2009 mbp

I have the same lag/stuttering problem with my rMBP. Just as a check, have you tried QuickRes? Turn off the HiDPI at the same resolution and see if it goes away. It works better for me, but then of course I lose the advantage of the beautiful retina display.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
A COMPLETE IDIOT WOULD BUY THAT! REALLY APPLE? REALLY APPLE? REALLY APPLE?

The price point really does not make sense to me but the 13" is still a very nice machine. The only thing IMO that makes it weaker is how close it is in cost to the 15" with better specs. My prediction is the 15" goes UP in cost next gen.

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
The price point really does not make sense to me but the 13" is still a very nice machine. The only thing IMO that makes it weaker is how close it is in cost to the 15" with better specs. My prediction is the 15" goes UP in cost next gen.
I think the only way is down in terms of pricing from here onwards. The 13" will fall by a greater margin.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Unless you really need a smaller screen there is absolutely no reason to go for a fully specced 13 inch over a base 15 inch on the rMBP, it's just bad value.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Just received my rmbp 15 .. love it .. quick question for other 15" rmbp owners .. on the keyboard it feels like the keys are barely above the aluminum .. dont remember the keyboard being like that on the other macbook pros i have owned ?

Doctor Suarez

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
I'd say if you want the retina screen on a smaller, easier-to-tote computer, get the 13. But if you want to do anything intensive, whether it's video editing, or gaming, or what-have-you, get the 15 (which is what I did).

The Intel 4000 integrated GPU is seriously weak-sauce for any demanding task. It can't even run Civilization V well, and that game is nearly two years old. The 13" isn't really what you'd call a pro device, since it'll likely get overwhelmed by those demanding "pro" tasks. You can almost think of it as an MBA with a retina screen and the extra hardware needed to drive it.

With the 15, you're paying for power. With the 13, you're paying for form factor. Sure, the 13 is a lesser value in terms of power-per-dollar, but if you don't have those specific needs the 13 becomes an attractive option. That screen really is a joy to use, even if you're just reading the web or your email.

bgiaach

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
NYC
Well, after putting in my order last Thursday my brand new 15" rMBP arrived today. I set it up from my time machine backup and I'm a happy camper. And to top it all off, I checked the screen info and it's a Samsung! I'm happier than a pig in s*%!

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Congrats! You made the right decision with the 15", and also got rewarded with a Sammy screen!!! :D

Enjoy!! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.