13" rMBP Haswell with Quad Core?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by B..., Mar 7, 2013.

1. B..., Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

Hi everyone!

I'm in the market for my first laptop, and the new Macbook Pro with Retina has caught my attention. I am wondering if it, as it is now, if worth the money, or if I should wait until Haswell in mid-late 2013. I wouldn't wait until Broadwell.

I have also heard about UI lag in the rMBP, so that might be a problem.

If anyone reccomends getting the rMBP now, would you suggest I buy the Late 2012 version (w/ 256 GB) for a $180 discount, or play it safe and buy the new 2013 model (which might have some changes).

Also, if you don't reccomend the Macbook Pro with Retina, which computer is best for a student who uses it for: internet, Pages, photos, iTunes, email, maybe some 3D apps (for engineering), NO games?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

Newer is better.

On a serious note, only splurge for the 2013 model on the 15" rMBPs. Those have newer CPUs and upgraded memory on the higher end model. The 13" model saw price changes in 2013 but the CPUs remained the same.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Your information is incorrect, the higher end 13" rMBP saw a processor upgrade as well with the Feb 13th price decrease and performance bump.

The early '13 models also have different internal components than the previous models, I'm not sure which ones so rather than assuming and giving false information I'll hope someone else can chime in on that part.

4. B..., Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

B... thread starter macrumors 68000

B...

Thank you both for your replies.

I hear that the 15 inch mostly got the internal upgrades in SSD, logic board, IO board, etc. I havn't heard about the 13 inch...

I'm only holding off because of hear Haswell integrated GPU is up to 2x the performance, battery life is 20% better, and CPU is 10%. Those are some serious upgrades!

5. buysp macrumors 6502

If you need it now, buy now. Refurbs could be a good option for you.

6. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Macbook Air

7. B... thread starter macrumors 68000

B...

Is there a reason to get the MBA when you could get a rMBP? (better screen, color, black bezel, better CPU, etc), disregarding price?

8. e²Studios, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Haswell GPU is 50% better in Intel's lab tests, the real world results will be nowhere near that. Same goes for CPU and battery life. Haswell is just a bump, its not worth half the hype people here want to think it is.

I have a late 2006 MBP that has been rock solid, a early '13 MBP will net me far more than waiting for haswell will. Considering my Mac is nearly 7 years old I've waited long enough to upgrade it :p Any computer you buy will be outdated in 3-6 months, once Haswell is out all the tech trolls here will start screaming about Broadwell, its a never ending cycle.

9. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I think i have to agree with you, there is a hell of a lot of hype around haswell and as result it will only disappoint. Don't get me wrong, it will be better than Ivy but it wont be the jump some people are expecting.:rolleyes:

10. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

This is a little off topic, but I heard the new Haswell rMBP is set for the summer, is that an accurate time frame, because I would like to pick one up before the next school year starts with that $100 gift card.

11. B... thread starter macrumors 68000

B...

I need an expert to corrobrate, but June/July is when Intel rolls out the Haswell chips. Apple might not implement them in their computers until September/October. Perhaps not even until November since Apple just updated minor specs.

Any other opinions? I'm in the same situation--going back to school.

12. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Yes 2nd june is the launch date of haswell, expect broadwell for the same time period next year, intel is moving out of the early year launch to a mid year launch, so OEMs can sell their notebooks with more easy on the xmas and post xmas period, not to mention something new for back to school

hardly, the difference between a HD 3000 and a HD 4000 is exactly that, and intel havent said anything about how performance we are going to get from haswell on the igpu side, from the cpu side on the other hand we are going to get around 10-20% increase, for you should be a 200% increase in performance. Depends on your apps usage off course, if you are going to feel it or not.

Regarding the igpu which model are you talking about? the 4600? the 5100 or the 5200?

And given that apple actually asked for what is the 5200 last year and some years ago, Im pretty confident that they will be in the rmbps

I also have a hope that the 35w quads from haswell could have the 5200 and be present on the rmbps.

BUT, here is the deal, do you need now? buy it now, can you hold? hold. Its that simple, tech evolves, getting the latest and the greatest when you can, is wise on your money. I have a 3-4 year upgrade cycle or when it dies, whichever comes with my needs at the moment and the projected future ones.

13. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Based upon what you said your usages are that's why I listed the Air. The only thing you're paying for in the rMBP is just the screen. You are using the same CPU (just clocked lower) and you have the same integrated graphics card in each. Plus it's lighter and thinner than the rMBP13.

Based upon your usage the Air will do everything you want it to do. It just won't have the screen.

14. magbarn macrumors 68000

As a fellow rMBP user you know it's ALL about the screen lol. I've played with the rMBP extensively and if I were in the market for a 13" macbook today, the rMBP 13 would be at the top of the list. Especially now that's it's within $200 of the MBA 13, it's a no-brainer.

15. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

not really

1) in terms of cooling the rmbp is way superior
    2) the i5 on the rmbp is comparable to the i7 in the mba, despite that the clocks on the HD4000 are still way lower on the ulv cpu from the mba
    3) the screen on the rmbp is still much better than on the mba, not only because of the res, but also in other metrics like color accuracy, distribution...
    4) the cpu on the mba is actually of better in a sense from the rmbp, because its a higher binned part, not in terms of power

16. B... thread starter macrumors 68000

B...

Thanks everyone for the great info! So the general consensus is that I should go with the rMBP.

I know about the tech cycle, and how something new is always right around the corner. But this is my first computer, and I plan to have it for about 5 years. I can wait for Haswell, but if the changes in performance are going to be negligible for my uses, I'd rather just get it now.

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you say no games, I don't see why not.
    The Hd 5200 should be quite a big leap ahead and it is almost a given that the rMBP will get the top part in that corner but for all your use cases the HD 4000 should do just as well. Nothing else like e.g. cpu speed is worth waiting for.
    Batterylife probably won't dramatically change either given that the display is probably the biggest power sucker and the really low power single SoC Haswells most likely will end up in the Air and not the rMBP 13" with its 35W TDP CPU.

18. Serban Suspended

Wait for Haswell, they will change the entire line up with this, is already mid March, another 3-4 months if you don't need right now shouldn't be a problem.

Think about it with Haswell depends of what Apple want to do you get a lighter macbook if they remove a part of the battery OR a long usage maybe up to 9-10 H like in iPad. Only this motive it's for me a real deal beside the better graphics.

19. B... thread starter macrumors 68000

B...

3-4 months would be June to July. Intel only releases the chips in June, and that is the Ultrabok chips. Apple will take a while to put them in to their computers, so I'm thinking more like October.

Beside speculation, why do you think Haswell will be so great? It's not a die shrink...I'm hoping that it won't be so tempting, so I can get Ivy Bridge at a discounted price.

20. Serban Suspended

Sry to say but Apple always are the first to put the new chips on their line up. And first are the macbook lineup follow by the iMac in late 2013 or spring 2014.

----------

I want to buy a retina macbook as well but for me to wait for 3-4 months for a lighter or 10 H battery usage is a must have. I have a 13" MBA late 2012 and in late of this month the new imac should arrive for me so you understand that i really don't need right now a macbook and the wait for me for haswell is not such pain, but to buy now in mid march for a rmacbook is for me a waste of money, the haswell cpu and graphics should perform excellent with that retina display. Like the case of ipad 3 retina, the hardware was a little slow to render a smooth user experience and thats why after a half a year they replace it with A6X chip.

21. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

13" MBP (or rMBP) or an iMac.

A MacBook Air might not be that good for 3D apps.

22. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is some myth that isn't dying.
    They haven't been the last 3 times around. They have never actually been the first. Other manufactures always had some models out sooner.
    Apple needs lots of top tier chips and they yield badly at the beginning. Most other manufacturers don't replace their whole line and thus don't need as many chips. Acer, Asus & Co have usually been first to market.
    Apple needed about 2 months from Intel official chip release the last times around.

They don't get the first chips they never do. They get chips they pay for at the time that Intel can spit them out.
    Intel also said that Dual Core will take a little longer so August is probably the optimistic launch time. October is probably a bit pessimistic though.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The current "2013" model is the exact same thing as the 2012 model except for the minor processor bump.

And yes, if it's in your budget the rMBP is an excellent choice.

24. mscice macrumors regular

Id wait, the new refresh to haswell i think will also have wifi 5g

25. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

But the 13'MBP is still using the same internals as a Macbook Air.

If the 3D apps use OpenCL it shouldn't be a problem with the HD4000. Unless he needs something specific like CUDA then the 15 inch Retina would be good (or just a regular 15)