13" rMBP WiFi sucks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisrosemusic1, Feb 26, 2013.

1. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

You may have seen previous questions regarding this issue and the internet is rife with other people with similar issues with their routers.

I have now purchased an Airport Express to no avail either.

They (or perhaps this one) is pure crap. Initial connection speeds are fine but within 2 mins the connection is unbearable. Even with Airport Express running in 5Ghz only it still sucks.

So pissed off cos it's otherwise the perfect laptop. I'm on the phone to Support right now but I am probably going to return this and the Airport.

10 years of custom and this is the most pathetic issue to have.

/venting /rage :mad:

2. mykem macrumors regular

Have you tried going with different DNS than the default (your ISP DNS). You change that by going into your router and changing it to, for example, Google Public DNS. It's best to find one closest to where you are.

You may think it's a HW issue- I had the same problem with an iPhone 5 where it crawled when I'm using my home WiFi but has no issues when using other WiFi network.

Try using the laptop elsewhere and if exhibits the same problem then you're on to something but if not, you might want to call a network technician if you aren't comfortable with tweaking your network settings.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The internet is rife with everything. You could search for reggae cats and find results, but that doesn't mean it's common.

The rMBPs have one of the best Wi-Fi cards available, and the best antenna configuration. Have you tried changing wireless channel/bands, checked for interfering networks on nearby channels, and analysed traffic to see exactly where it's dying (chances are it's not dying between your laptop and router).

4. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

5. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

ughh.. you gotta be kidding me

Can someone post some speedtest, won't have mine till Mon.

6. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502

I have August build retina 15 and the wifi is as good as it gets. I have Airport Extreme with range extender and doing a 36 GB time machine backup over 5GHz took roughly 30 minutes.

7. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

My Internet speed is 13.5mbps on my PC, old MacBook and iPad.

When I very first connect the rMBP I get 8-9 but within 5mins it is 1-3mbps.

I have spent an hour and 30mins on the phone again tonight and am now re installing OSX. Airport is a needless expense and that will be returned tomorrow. As for the Mac, if tomorrow's conversation with the support guy doesn't bring good news I will be returning it.

I will post speed test screen shots when OSX re installs.

----------

I've done it and tried it elsewhere. I have tweaked everything imaginable - as has Apple Support over two phone calls.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

15" rMBP. 100/5 internet connection, AirPort Extreme (old 3rd gen) upstairs with a floor and wall between:

[​IMG]

If you use a newer AirPort, it'll be much faster too.

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Here you go, 60 mi away from you. 5GHz WiFi on Optimum Online Boost Plus (60/10), machine in sig:

[​IMG]

In any event there are too many variables in play here. Maybe as others have suggested try finding a better DNS server. The namebench app might help.

10. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Ping is between 300 and 800ms, 1-2mbps top speed, and 0.30 upload.

It's ****. Will post screens once OSX is re installed.

11. 1member1 macrumors 6502

12. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

maybe you have a crap wireless card... everyone else has been solid

13. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

It's true, you can. OP, assuming your machineray can load it ok, there's a video of reggae cats that might make you feel better about life. Of course, if it doesn't load then that'll probably just add to your woes...

14. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Yeah well I didn't rule out that it could be 'my' machine. I have asked for an exchange already but they are reluctant to say the least. If after tomorrow's conversation I have no fix then I will ask for a refund.

People assume because you have a problem on here that it couldn't possibly be hardware or Apple related. They aren't impervious to faults and I have had other issues with other machines and devices in the past. I'm expressing my disappointment that my £1250 machine a) required a further purchase of £79 to attempt to fix the WiFi with an Airport and b) still doesn't function as it should even after this purchase.

It's alright though, I'll just keep quiet and not share my experience and the world will be a better and happier place.

15. Freyqq macrumors 68040

16. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

17. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

This seems pretty clear cut to me. Maybe you could put it even further beyond doubt by testing the rMBP at the same time as one of the other devices just in case something freaky happened to your ISP at the time you ran the test. If you do that and are sure that the rMBP is not doing anything else to slow it down (updates, backups, etc) and it's still slow... you have a defective unit.

Have you got anywhere with the phone support? If not, if it's a regular thing, you should be able to replicate it in an Apple Store and get it sorted.

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Are you connecting at 5 GHZ @ 450 megabits/sec? Option-click on the wifi icon to see what you are connected at.

19. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Screen shot of connection:

Attached Files:

20. chrisrosemusic1, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Connection speed on above 5Ghz connection:

Obviously this isn't right, regardless of those who are happy with their Mac and connection quality.

I am not.

Support had me on the phone for 90mins tonight doing various tests, resetting PRAM, SMC etc, booting in safe mode, making new accounts and partitions but I cannot re install OSX which was their last request before ending the call - my internet connection is so slow that after 4 hours it managed about 15% and was quoting 115 hours to complete.

Plain and simple, this isn't what I expect of an Apple product and I am not prepared to spend anymore time or money trouble shooting it.

I am returning the Airport tomorrow and requesting an exchange for the rMBP. If the replacement is just as bad then I'll sack it off for good.

Attached Files:

21. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Here you go:

I've posted some other info screen shots too. I am giving up.

Attached Files:

22. Ccrew, Feb 26, 2013

Ccrew macrumors 68020

You folks keep running speedtests like it's the be-all end-all to determine if the wireless is running correctly. It may be, and your internet just flat sucks.

I have yet to see someone post actual network diagnostics.

Now that said, I bought a 13" rMBP on October 31, 2012. I've paid hell trying to get Apple to own up to the problem.Got nowhere with trying to get a retail store to replace it. Replace wi-fi card? Yup. Replaced logic board? Yup. I was of the mindset they were going to replace everything in it. I was however told by a sympathetic genius that it's a common complaint. That tells me Apple's trying not to replace machines for this issue if they can help it.

I gave up last friday and escalated to Apple Exec Relations. Dumped diagnostics, had all my documentation as compared to a 15" cMBP I own, and just got authorization and a case # to take it to store for a replacement today. After 4 months of nonsense. I will add however for full disclosure, I communicated with them from my work email. It's a domain most exec/marketing departments don't want to just blow off.

I'm not even sure I want another one. Debating asking if I can swap it for $ value for something else.

Good diagnostics tool for making your case if you have a known good to comparison against:

http://www.netspotapp.com/

23. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm debating a different machine now then.

24. Freyqq, Feb 26, 2013

Freyqq macrumors 68040

at that distance, your transmit rate should be near 450, assuming your router is capable of that speed. You have a transmit rate of 81. Pretty bad. RSSI for my old macbook pro from about 10 feet from a linksys router is -38. Yours is -73. Also bad. Overall, either the router is terrible, or the laptop has terrible wifi. Either way, wifi connection speeds are pitiful. I'm planning on getting the 15" rmbp in about 4 months, so hopefully that model isn't affected.

EDIT: However, I did notice that it says DFS on your wifi info. I found this explaining what it is: http://wifiprofessor.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/dynamic-frequency-selection-dfs/
    I recommend turning this off in your router settings. It is possible that is causing your issue, as it is not a standard, common thing to be using. In fact, I've never seen it before, so it could be confusing your equipment. Switch to a standard channel like 153 instead.

25. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

It's not the router because I get perfect signal and download speeds on every single other piece of tech in my house.

I have looked on every setting for the Airport and there is no way to disable this 'DFS' mode.

I'm stumped, going to ask for an exchange today.