13 year old daughters text messaging...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by packetjunkie, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. packetjunkie macrumors regular

pre-iphone around 2,000 (RAZR).

iphone.... 3,970 texts for last month.

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Around 5 text msgs every hour, 24 hours straight for a month...not too bad. :rolleyes:

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the way the iPhone works, text messages are more like conversations
    its easy to get carried away

and also, maybe she got a boyfriend....haha

5. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Well sure, its just so much easier to text on an iphone than on a Razr! LOL But, you bought your 13 yr old an iphone!?! :eek: I told my 14 yr old that she would get an iphone when she could pay the extra monthly fees for it. She has an ipod and a regular cell with a text plan, thats enough for a teen.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Well, considering I'm an old fogie of 34, and I had ~1100 texts last month, just under 4000 isn't bad for a 13 year old. ;)

Thankful for the unlimited option, aren't ya?

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

understandable from a usability standpoint. texting on a Razr is far slower and more cumbersome.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

9. cristo macrumors regular

More than enough, in my opinion.

To the OP: do you not see that your 13 year old daughter sending 2000 text messages a month is bad enough, let alone nearly 4000. That's around 8 messages per hour, presuming that she's awake for around 16 hours. Does your kid not go to school? Spend time on homework? etc etc.. Wow.. I can't believe you haven't taken her phone off her a long time ago!

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Can I have her phone number? Relax, it's a joke...

11. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Neither did I, in fact my father made me pay the cost of having a landline put into my room and then work extra chores for the monthly fee!

I gave her the first-gen iPhone when I got myself and the wife 3Gs. Works pretty well since I only have to pay the lower data fee for the non-3g unit.

And, yes, unlimited is a good thing. Add on a thousand minutes of weekend talk time and thats a girl who is definitely connected with her friends.

She did say she gets alot of attention as she is the only kid in her class with an iPhone.

12. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

When I was 13, I had to walk to school 3 miles in the snow. Uphill both ways.:rolleyes:

What's your point? I didn't have a cell either, but you can bet that my kid will, for my peace of mind, if nothing else!

Times change.

13. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

then she better be careful it doesnt get stolen. kids stealing cell phones happens a lot in schools.

14. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

I think we are in a very different time from when we were kids. I grew up at Dartmouth and was chatting with friends in the early 80s on what was then called XYZ. All in all, I don't consider it a bad thing - just something to keep an eye on.

So true and she's pretty aware of that and it stays locked up while she is in classes. She knows if she loses this, there is no replacement (except her old RAZR, which she'll go to great lengths to keep from going back to that!)

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Don't forget you didn't have shoes either!

:)

16. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Will you adopt me...I want unlimited texting.....

17. cristo macrumors regular

I agree that we're in a completely different time, but then there's no need to spoil your child. You're setting her up for a big fall when she enters the real world and actually has to pay for things for herself (unless, of course, you're incredibly wealthy and intend to treat her as a princess for the rest of her life). There's nothing wrong with providing a phone for your child, but 1000 minutes and 4000 text messages is more than excessive.

18. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

You mean that's not a given? Actually, I had to stuff my hand-me-down shoes with newspaper. :( The bottoms of my feet are permanently stained with newsprint.

:p

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

when i was 20 i didnt have a cell phone

20. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I have unlimited texting on my family plan because I myself have over 1,000 texts for the month. And my wife, who is just learning to text, has over 200.

I have unlimited evening/weekend time simply because of my calling plan for all the phones. With 3,000 rollover minutes to my credit, I've got plenty to spare.

I have 5 children - she is the oldest. I get my $40 a month worth and then some from babysitting and chores (she does not get an allowance).

Nothing here is particularly excessive - in fact, the iPhone she has was a gift from a friend upgrading his iPhone to a 3G since I didnt own the first generation myself. He called it Paying It Forward.

21. saxman macrumors 6502

I've had my iPhone 3G since it's release and have yet to send a text to anyone. Guess I'm a hermit

22. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

My first cell phone was $1 a minute - for every minute it was used and billing in full minute increments.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1000 weekend minutes = Free
    Unlimited Text Messages = $20 a month

That's "excessive?"

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Only 3970 texts??? Huh, she needs to pick it up a bit and start texting more. I think she needs to at least double that amount to keep up with the rest of her class.

25. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

did you have the big Motorola saved by the bell style brick?

i think i have one of those in my house somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.