Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaLLiNx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
I would ask what is the best iPhone case, but it all comes down to personal preference. I just got an iPhone 4S, so I need some suggestions for a case.

I'm open for any suggestions. I'm mainly looking for a case that can protect my iPhone while not being very bulky.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Otterbox commuter

BaLLiNx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Otterbox commuter

This is one of the cases I was most interested in. I was browsing some older threads on here and it seems like a lot of people have problems with lint, which I don't like.

Also I think it may be a little too bulky for my liking.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Otterbox Defender in glacier and matte speck candyshell. I like to switch between these two for my 4S

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I went through a lot of cases and like the poster above, I really like my SGP Neo hybrid 2S infinity white case. I've been using it for over a month now and still love it on my white iPhone 4S. And that says a lot bc before this, I was switching cases weekly.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
The InCase Snap (Smoke color), this is the one I always go back to. First got it through the 'Free Case Program' a while ago but I've been re-buying as needed. On my third one now, heh.

incase2.jpg

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Griffin Reveal.

Though, I rarely use it anymore. The rubbery edges make it difficult to get in and out of my jean pockets, especially on a sweaty day.

AndyinAtl

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Otterbox defender, although I can certainly see why some wouldn't like it. FOR ME the naked phone is to little and slick. I like that the silicone is grippy and i've never let it win when it resists being put in a pocket.:rolleyes:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
This is one of the cases I was most interested in. I was browsing some older threads on here and it seems like a lot of people have problems with lint, which I don't like.

Also I think it may be a little too bulky for my liking.

I have a black otterbox commuter (revised one, with a bigger camera cutout) and I don't have ANY problems with lint. I keep my phone either in my jeans pocket, coat pocket or hoodie pocket -- all filled with lint -- And still don't have any lint problems.

I've taken the case apart a few times cause I was convinced that lint must be getting in there and I wanted to clean it out. VERY minimal specks of anything in there... nothing really worth taking the case off for.

Anything negative I read about the case seems really dumb now that I have one. Some examples:

1. The case doesn't fit.
Yes, it does. You're doing it wrong. Sure it doesn't line up right if you are in a huge hurry and left all of your common sense at home that day... Slow down, put the silicon sleeve on first, put the TOP part in the outer rubber case, put the SIDES in and make sure they line up. If they don't... YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG, take it off and start again...

2. Lint.
As stated... not a problem for me. I have a very black, very lint-showing case... simply not a problem.

3. The silicone stretches/is loose.
I'll give this complaint a smidge more merit over the others cause it does seem a tad bit loose around the volume buttons and the side directly opposite the volume buttons. I've only had mone for about 1.5 months and I wonder if it's going to get more loose as time goes on. Only time will tell. I don't see it being any more loose than the day I put it on but maybe I'm not paying close enough attention.

I use mine with a front screen protector and I actually put a back one on too (just cause I have it)... I suppose the back one "protects" the apple logo or whatever.

Other than that, I literally love the case... it does everything I need it to do and I think it looks great. I'm not sure I'd like it if it weren't all black cause I'm more of a simplistic, minimal kinda person.

Anyway, don't rule it out. I had 4 different cases in 4 days of having the phone. Settled on this one and I'm very happy with it so far. I hear their customer service is superb as well.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
+1 on the Otterbox Commuter. I would also recommend the Magpul Field Case, if you want something more minimal, yet still protective. And it's only $10. :D

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Pretty much anything Switcheasy makes!

I have two Trim cases, a Melt case, and 2 of the Avant-Garde series (Blossom & Chateau). They're unique and a great value with all of the extras, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.