Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
in case you're wondering what liquid damage repair costs without applecare+..my son was kind enough to provide me with that info. I wish i had bought applecare+ for $100 bucks..id have saved myself $1100 today.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Oh man I sympathise with this you on this one. My middle child did this to a 2010 MBP about a month after I got it. Was accidental however rather than typical 2 year old logic ?.

No AppleCare and no insurance back then either.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
That was painful to watch. Mature audience only warning. If that had happened to me, I think I would have just bought a new machine.
I dont think buying a new machine would work out in my favor.. my configuration 14in m1 max 32 core with 32g of ram isnt available till may 9 at the earliest, so naturally i was under the assumption that my repair would take a month or two. But it turns out the repair centers have logic boards on hand for all the different configurations and i should get a "like new" machine back in less than 5 days. I use it for work so i wanted as little downtime as possible. The machine will have a new warranty when I get it back and i have the ablility to order apple care on it (which i will).
My other option was to try to sell this liquid damaged unit on ebay for someone to repair or something, i think it would be a hard sell and would have probably had to drop the price by more than the 1399 this repair cost me.

In my attempts to save the machine I dumped all the water out, took a vacuum and sucked excess water, used a hairdryer to help dry it out, then put it in a sealed bin with rice for the whole day until i took it to the apple store. I opened up the bottom of the unit to see how the liquid sensors looked ..every single one of them was glowing under a UV ..so i knew i was in for at least a logic board replacement and a screen..ill post an image of the screen too ( i think the water got in the screen when i was shaking the machine trying to get the water out of it)

Attachments

• IMG_3309.JPG
    IMG_3309.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
This was less than 12 hours after the incident..I had to wait till the next day before I could find somewhere with the pentalobe driver so i could open up the bottom case.
The machine was dry but already showing signs on corrosion around some of the chips on the logic board. Amazing how quickly corrosion takes place..this was just cup of drinking water but the minerals do some damage very quickly!

In the process of cleaning it up..it turned on (i didnt want to turn it on but it did on its own)..then shut down in the middle of startup. This happened multiple times. Then one time is got to the desktop..so i figured I should get a backup going asap..it shut down a couple times during the backup but i managed to get it running long enough to complete the backup. This was my main concern becuase i new logic board means a new ssd and everything else, so its amazing that i got a backup off of it. When i brought it to the apple store the employee asked if he could take it in the back and see if the liquid sensors were set off ..i told him dont bother and showed him the video. He agreed after seeing it that it was definitely a tier 4 repair.
IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.