Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
To anyone implying that I neglect my son..
We were just in the living room together a couple seconds before this but i got up to run into the kitchen to get him some milk...things can go south very quickly with a toddler. I obviously take full blame for this and im in no way mad at my son. Its a very expensive lesson but i can afford it and will ensure it doesnt happen again.
I was just sharing the video so you guys could get a laugh at my expense.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We were just in the living room together a couple seconds before this but i got up to run into the kitchen to get him some milk...things can go south very quickly with a toddler. I obviously take full blame for this and im in no way mad at my son. Its a very expensive lesson but i can afford it and will ensure it doesnt happen again.
I thought it was hilarious, and painful, to watch.

No worries.

systemBuilder

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Age 6, my son jumped on our Thinkpad T40 IPS display. Repair from IBM would be $700. I ordered a $240 display form malaysia (boe hydis IPS 1440x 1080) and it took me literally FOURTEEN attempts to route the cables and reinstall the laptop bezel after replacing the display. IBM provides an AMAZING repair manual that can be downloaded for free, thank you IBM !! But I literally had to take THREE coffee breaks to avoid picking up the laptop and flinging it against the wall !! My blood was boiling !!

Age 15, my OTHER son spilled a full glass of milk on a Macbook Pro 2015. We got it fixed at Louis Rossman's Rossman Repair Group ($400) of New York City. It worked for a very short time like 1d and then the keyboard failed (probably an aftershock of the milk damage). Louis was very kind and replaced the keyboard for a wholesale cost ($240), when you see how poorly the apple keyboard is mounted with almost 100 locking tabs to make sure NOBODY ever works on the laptop, I was glad to pay for him to do the replacement. Also, at the time the MacBook Pro 2015 was the LAST apple macbook with a good keyboard! Overall I spent about $700 to fix that milk mistake. Nobody ever said it was economical to own Apple devices!

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
I feel bad for your wife having to stumble on that first haha. Honestly I'd have reacted the same way. I feel bad for laughing cause its not funny. $3300 before tax is pure pain.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
That was painful to watch. Mature audience only warning. If that had happened to me, I think I would have just bought a new machine.
A new Mac and a new kidlet while I'm at it. ? (Just kidding in case anyone thought I was serious!).

Coming back from Christmas with my sister years ago, I placed some chocolates that she had given me into the console on my brand new (1 month old) car to keep them safe from my dog while I went inside to get my mail. Was gone for 5 minutes at most but in that time, my pup had ripped the cloth cover off the console. Fortunately, he did NOT actually get to the chocolates. I kept that car for many, many years and the torn console served as a reminder of how destructive furkids can be--and how much I love mine regardless.

Moral of the story: Stuff happens when you have kids or pets. There is simply no way to fully kid-proof or dog-proof a house or car, no matter how diligent you are. The alternative (no kids and no pets) is far worse, IMHO. I was actually amazed at how composed Mom was when she discovered the carnage. I'm not sure I would have been able to keep it together quite that well, regardless of how much I knew I should.

Last edited:

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
Meanwhile, here is me, being an adult, yet still having ruined two MacBook Pros in a row because I spilled coffee on them. ?

“I take full blame for this and I’m in no way mad at myself.”
“It’s a very expensive lesson but I can afford it and will ensure it doesn’t happen a third time.”

• Haha
Reactions: hefeglass

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How old do kids need to be before you send them away to military school?

Only kidding. It’s a good thing expensive laptops didn’t exist when I was two, or I might have wound up at a military school myself.

(I didn’t start breaking my dad’s electronics until later in life, when I was “fixing” them. Didn’t matter if they were broken or not, they could always use a little fixing, right?)

Reactions: Glacier1

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Or basically just don't leave your two year old unattended with a multi thousand dollar laptop. Sounds harsh and I don't mean it to but if OP is rich enough to make that 'schoolboy' error he's obviously rich enough to pay for the consequences. Me? I'd be crying for a year.
I would not leave another adult unattended with a MacBook Pro. Well that's only one of the many ways laptops get destroyed by accident. A few years ago one of my buddies laptop was destroyed when a flying projectile went through it. It wasn't a Mac so no big loss (Kidding) but it was not functioning after ?

Reactions: MajorFubar

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
I'm certain that Joe Biden wishes Hunter had purchased AppleCare+ instead of having to take his computer elsewhere. Apple, by the way, always, always, always zeroes out all your data. AppleCare+ saved my bacon with prompt, affordable accidental damage repair twice in the span of a week (using up my butterfingers allowance for the first year of the coverage, sure, but a hell of a lot better than a total loss). Could you imagine paying $1399 for repair only to do it again just a few days later? Buy the AppleCare+.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mpetrides

Raylai328

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Respect. At least you'll remember what you should do in the middle of getting someone's milk.;);)

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Kids are always up to something. :confused:

iu

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
People are too quick to judge, being an actual parent, this can happen cause you got a call from your boss asking for some info, you got off the couch to get that info, toddler destroys the laptop. It can happen very quickly...

I agree though on that with kids around, AppleCare+ is a must... you'll need it.

I agree completely. Don't forget to add exhausted frayed parents as well, kids are exhausting. My then 2 year old gave my iPad a coffee bath a few years ago. Fortunately, it had AppleCare +, the apple store genius was even nice enough to not even charge me the normal replacement fee ($60?).

My kids are now 6 & 4, I gave them a couple of extremely locked down and screen time limited iPads (An older 10.5" pro, and the 2021 iPad) and you can bet both have applecare+ on a monthly renewal, besides the kid full screen protective case.

(EDIT: The coffee was cold (thank god), I was just working at my desk and hadn't taken care it to dispose of it yet. It got all over her, Xbox 360, iPad, and lots of other stuff, so I was amazed only the iPad was damaged.)

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
when it comes to expensive electronics like that, they would be placed out of sight or 6 feet high where they couldn’t reach it.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Indeed. 20-30 years from now when OP's kid is having kids of his/her own, this will be a hilarious memory. That Mom and Dad didn't make it a traumatic event for the kid is what matters in the big picture of things.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
The “I know I am forgetting something…” Except it’s worse than simply needing to go back to the grocery/convenience store.
I think it’s funny how people are trying to somehow say you were wreckless, an amateur, etc. Things happen, you live and learn. Thanks for sharing the vid thought made me laugh and cringe at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.