$14 for a 90-day return policy.. worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by agkm800, Oct 2, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

So, I am now without an iPod Touch--it's been 2 days and I'd really want to buy a new one asap. I will buy the 32GB model.

I have two options:

1. Order from Amazon and pay $279.99 with no tax
    2. Buy from Costco and pay $279.99 + $14 sales tax (with 90-day return policy)

What would you choose?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Do amazon not have a returns policy?
    You already know you want it, so get the cheaper one. If it's faulty, it should be exchanged regardless, either by the retailer or Apple.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Uh, unless you think you will suddenly change your mind and want a refund, go with the cheaper one. All new iPods have the same manufacturer warranty, regardless of the purchase location.

4. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I guess agkm800 is waiting for an update and if that would happen within 90 days, he could return/exchange easily.

5. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Nope. I don't expect to see another update in 3 months.

It's just way more convenient to return to Costco for a full refund than to deal with repairs or returning it to Amazon or Apple.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I say go for amazon. If there is any fault, take it to apple.

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

If that is the case, I personally would go with the cheaper one, but I understand your point of easy return. So just go with Costco then - it's "only" $14 and if it makes you feel better with having an easy return - do that. :)

8. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I would do the Cotsco route. Its only $14. And I hate dealing with people over email when returning something. And if an Apple store is far, the cotsco will be very convenient. And if an update comes in the next 3 months....you will be covered....

@I am in no way saying there is going to be an update soon, just my opinion

9. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Just so you know when you bring an ipod to an Apple store they dont fix it they just give you a replacement.

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

One additional factor to consider. At Costco all the "big" electronic stuff gets the warranty extended an additional year for free. That's why I buy my flat screen TV's there. I assume the ipod's are included but not 100% certain.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I would guess the iPod is not a big electronic device.

Also, what is the policy of the 90 day return- can the device be used when returned or is that unopened?

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I think there was a thread a few weeks back about this guy kinda bragging about buying stuff @ costco then returning it...soo i'm assuming that if it is open, you're able to bring it back for an exchange/refund within the 90days.

p.s.

just don't abuse the system ^_^

13. ihonda macrumors 68000

sams club has a "just keep your original receipt" return policy, i just returned a 3yr old ipod nano for full money back.

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What was your reason for returning the iPod?
    I assume not a legitimate one.

Talk about abusing the system- come on- it is choices like this that increase costs for everyone- THANKS!:rolleyes:

The policy is there for a reason- when something doesn't perform to the level you think it should. Not to update an iPod in a few years!

This is my pet peeve- I shop at LLBEAN, Eddie Bauer, BackCountry.com, etc because of their return policy- but I don't abuse it. I return things that don't perform to my expectations AND my expectations are reasonable for the time I expect a product to last!

(Note- at least it was SAms/Wal-mart- I hate the big box stores- especially them!)

shop local or directly with a manufacturer you think makes good products- that is what should drive our economy- not cheap prices and return policies.

flyfish29 <------stepping off soapbox!@

15. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Aren't you ashamed of yourself?

16. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have a saying I teach my second and third grade students-

"What if everyone did it?"

17. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I bought a 2g 32gb touch from Costco last year, simply because it was easier. The extra $20 I paid in tax seemed worth it to get it that day and have the peace of mind of a 90 day no questions asked return policy. (I bought it right before Christmas so I thought that Apple might release the 64gb right after like they did with the 1g 32gb) I don't regret it at all, especially considering how good Costco has been to me as a consumer. I have had 4 HDD die within a year of use, and they returned all 4 with only one question: "What happened?" So I got what I paid back and have been doubling the size of my drives every year. I have gone from a 250gb to a 500gb to a 500gb to a 1tb and a 750gb to a 1.5tb, and have actually gotten $20 back from my original purchase prices.

18. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

yeah, but the fact that you keep buying a HDD that craps out on you says something about the quality of the product....is it really worth the hassle of returning something that many times and have to set up the HDD over and over? :confused: HOpefully you are not losing data every time this happens.

19. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The only "big" thing i've returned to Costco was a swimming pool after 3 months.... when we walked in with the lady said, that has GOT to be the last one. Every one had come back for a seam burst at the same spot.

iPod's fall under the 90 warranty with Costco - you can buy an extended if you want.

I did recently return/exchange a monitor at Sam's - it was actually outside of my comfort range (2 months?), but it had this stupid intermittent problem and i couldn't continue on. The new one hasn't done it - so i'm safely assuming it was indeed a hardware problem. I spent that 2 months trying to decide if it was my Mini that was 1 week out of warranty when it started.... or the monitor.

ANYWAY.... abuse makes policies tougher. And whatever you do, delete your honeymoon in Hawaii pictures off the "camera that doesn't work and never did" before you return it :rolleyes: (a real return my first week working at Best Buy a number of years ago).

20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

2 months isn't bad when it is something that is clearly defective. That is funny about the pool- that is exactly why those policies are there-

Target used to have a great return policy- they they tightened it beyond belief where I couldn't even return a second baby swing we got for a gift b/c we didn't have the receipt. The crazy part is that it was the exact one listed on our Target registry and the registry showed one being purchased as a gift. ON top of that- the swing box had a Taget shipping sticker on the box!!! They still wouldn't return it because it was over the $75 limit they had at the time!!!:mad::mad::mad:

To the OP- what is your decision...Costco or other?

21. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

HDDs are THE most likely part to fail in a computer, so I was expecting it, and some just get killed by freak accidents. (The most recent was a fried power supply due to the flip of the circuit breaker when we were replacing a light.) I only lost data once luckily and learned. I immediately bought the second drive for backups. I now have a great setup. One central drive with all media, one backup drive of all 3 Macs and the central drive, and two of the three Macs have copies of parts of the media.

22. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, they are the most likely- but I have to say accidents are not covered under most return policies...either specifically stated or implied-

So you are saying because you replaced a light in your house that "accident" fried your computer HDD...come on, that is not Costco or the HDD makers fault....you are clearly abusing a policy- too many people do that and prices either go up or worse yet, they get rid of the policy.

Not to mention you need a surge protector or something on the computer!

23. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I just bought a 32GB Touch at Costco today ($294 total). Amazon is currently out of stock until Oct. 6th and it will take another 5-7 days for shipping. I didn't want to wait 10 more days and the peace of mind that the 90-day return policy gives me seemed worth $14.

24. ihonda macrumors 68000

it would no longer scroll, i planned on buying a new one, they returned mine i didnt ask them too.. dont open your mouth unless you know the entire story.

25. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

lol. shouldve just explained it in the 1st place