Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday unveiled a new 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a Liquid Retina XDR display that uses mini-LED backlighting to achieve up to 1,000 nits of full-screen brightness and up to 1,600 nits of peak brightness. With over 10,000 mini‑LEDs grouped into more than 2,500 local dimming zones, the display also has an impressive 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

13-inch-macbook-pro-m1.jpg

Apple has so far branded its mini-LED displays as "XDR" displays, short for "Extreme Dynamic Range," and rumors suggest the iPad Pro won't be the only Apple device to feature the technology this year.

Taiwanese research firm TrendForce today reported that Apple plans to launch new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with mini-LED displays in the second half of 2021, in line with previous reports. The notebooks are expected to be powered by an Apple silicon chip and feature a new design with the return of an SD card slot and HDMI port.

There is a lot of anticipation for the new high-end MacBook Pro models, as Apple will likely equip the notebooks with an improved iteration of its M1 chip, perhaps with M1X branding or something along those lines. Reputable sources like Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and analyst Ming-Chi Kuo have also claimed that the Touch Bar will be replaced with physical function keys, and that a MagSafe magnetic power cable will return.

As of this week, Apple has updated four Mac models with Apple silicon, including the iMac, 13-inch MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini. Apple previously said that its transition away from Intel processors would be completed by around WWDC 2022.

Article Link: 14-Inch and 16-Inch MacBook Pro Models With XDR Displays Expected to Launch Later This Year

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I figured it would be a fall launch since it’s a more important line for them. But this is the MBP I’m waiting for so I’m content to wait a bit longer. With the M1 chip, though, it’s harder to upsell to even more power as it’s already quite powerful. Not like the question of intel chips with the i5 or i7 choices with minimal meaningful differences in actual use.

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
I hope there will be a lower cost entry level 16" with the M1 chip, and higher end models with say M1X . Some don't need anything more powerful than M1 but want the screen estate. I'd love to know what the battery life would be if they just put an M1 in the existing 16".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.