14 Major U.S. Hospitals Now Using HealthKit as Apple Adds Health Industry Advisors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fourteen major U.S. hospitals have rolled out their own trials of Apple's HealthKit tool, with the pilot program earning praise among doctors for its ease of use and advanced tracking of various health metrics, reports Reuters.

According to the news agency, eight hospitals trying out HealthKit are on the U.S. News & World Report's Honor Roll which ranks the best hospitals, with the program seeing more of a positive reaction versus health tracking programs by Google and Samsung.
    Apple said that over 600 developers are integrating HealthKit into their health and fitness apps. The company has also hired Rana and John Halamaka, who act as two informal industry advisors that focus on health data privacy and industry introduction. Last September, it was reported that Duke University and Stanford University Hospital had begun trials with HealthKit, with representatives from both hospitals speaking highly about the program's convenience for patients and doctors.

Apple introduced HealthKit alongside the new Health app in iOS 8 as a part of a new initiative into health and fitness tracking. HealthKit taps into data from the iPhone's various sensors along with compatible accessories to provide a more comprehensive picture of a user's health. The upcoming Apple Watch will also contain a number of sensors and health tracking features that seamlessly integrate with the Health app.

Article Link: 14 Major U.S. Hospitals Now Using HealthKit as Apple Adds Health Industry Advisors

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like there's some hospitals here in Boston that are trying to incorporate this - cool.

Looks more like some vertical type solutions that meet their needs more then perhaps apps directed towards the general population.

3. iPad Air macrumors regular

I think doctors are really going to like having this data quick and easy. I believe that iOS devices have always been king of the hill when it comes to UI simplicity.

I am looking forward to seeing my local hospital pick this up.

4. RobQuads macrumors regular

This is the sort of thing that could make such a difference. In medicine data is huge, specially with the advances we have had in the analytics of it.

http://vimeo.com/98620534

That is a great example of how now with this extra data we can get much better treatments.

The big issue around this is privacy. Personally if its just the hospitals etc that are using it fine, the issue comes if someone starts selling it on

5. Zxxv macrumors 68040

6. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Really enjoyed that Video, guessing thats one of the Applications IBM will be pushing the iPad towards with its partnership with Apple? The interface looks touch friendly.

7. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I'm eagerly anticipating HealthKit integration with games like Angry Birds and Temple Run.

Just imagine the protagonist from Temple Run getting slower and eventually needing hospitalization as the player's blood pressure increases.

8. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Per the "I'm only going to shop at stores that accept :apple:pay" mentality, how long until we get "I'm only going to get medical services from health institutions that use health kit"?

"Sir, you've been in an accident and we're getting you to the nearest hospital"

"Do they use Apple's health kit?"

"I don't think so"

"Take me to a different hospital then- one that does use health kit"

"But sir, these injuries are life threatening"

"If I die, I die. Got to be a health kit hospital or forget it"... "Oh, and they need to accept payment via Apple Pay too".

All ;)

9. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

This is very interesting to me.
    As we move further into health monitoring, I recall discussions about the cost of the Apple Watch. Can we say, "subsidized by insurance companies"?

Of course, that would open a whole other set of issues; some good and some bad, in my opinion, but it does spark thought about what the future may hold.

10. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Don't worry there's the proverbial snowball's chance of that coming here - can you imagine the NHS doing this?!

11. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

If this requires iCloud syncing it could be crippled before it even starts.

12. Pagemakers, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

13. Zxxv macrumors 68040

as our government dissect the NHS yes I can see it. As private companies start to offer services yes I can see it.

14. monaarts macrumors 65816

This doesn't matter... It's a start and Apple now has it's hands/ears in these 14 hospitals. When 8 of these hospitals say "you know what? This is great but if we had insight into X we could help care for patients with Y." Now Apple knows what is necessary to make the product better and get it into another 14 hospitals. ;)

15. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Or it could mean that after almost 12 months it’s not really catching on.

16. bushido Suspended

bushido

well at least they r doing something with your insane hospital bills i guess ;)

17. Zxxv macrumors 68040

In first with the age old saying

an apple a day keeps the doctor away

18. iforbes macrumors 6502

Um, there are only 5,686 hospitals in the United States. And the article specifically refers to the "top hospitals", but to be fair, I am not sure of the criteria for deeming them "top hospitals".

19. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

It seems like a liability to rely on information in a phone if the patient is unable to provide or confirm that information.

20. QuarterSwede, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

14 Major U.S. Hospitals Now Using HealthKit as Apple Adds Health Industry Adv...

Excellent. The hospital my wife works at is switching to Epic so I hope that means they'll be in a good position to support Apple Health.

21. Zxxv macrumors 68040

asylums are using it to , cool

22. H2SO4 macrumors 601

I wonder how long it’ll be before….

…the first lawsuit?

23. surfingarbo macrumors regular

surfingarbo

Wow; Someone on this forum has a wife?!?

/s

24. 2457282 Suspended

Anthem just reported a security breach which exposed 80 million members. Yes these HealthKit thingies are cool. But seriously, we need to get security and privacy fixed first. I dont need my medical data or xrays of my... whatever... being stolen and sold.

If they can do this with airtight security, then okay, but too often privacy and security is an add on or afterthought

25. SwissMac2 macrumors member

I'd love to use the Health app on my iPhone 6 but what exactly denotes a compatible accessory? I had a walk around the stores selling weight scales and other bits and bobs recently, and while many claimed "Bluetooth Connectivity" this usually meant with their own app only, and even in the local Apple Store when I asked whether some scales they had for sale was compatible with Apple's Health app the Apple employee concerned had no clue what I was talking about!

So, can anyone please tell me how I get something that can talk to my iPhone to measure my weight? It'd be great if there were ones to measure my blood sugar and blood pressure too, but the scales would be a good start...

TIA