Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinkleStinkle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
IMG_4242.jpg
Wondering if anyone else has this issue with their new MBPs? It looks like the piece under the display is not glued evenly and it sticking up further in certain spots than others making it uneven. Is this worth a return?

Reactions: Chevysales

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I don't have that going on on my 14"

I'm not sure I would have noticed that while using the computer unless I was looking for it. But if it bugs you then I'd recommend swapping it.

I was most concerned about poor display uniformity, but I'm pretty happy with my screen.

Reactions: baummer

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Haha, I was just going to post or check here if anyone had the same issue. This must be a common problem, mine has the same thing but just on the bottom left side. The other thing I noticed is the keyboard has some keys that are lit more than others from the bottom when looking at a certain angle but that's present on all new MacBooks I checked at best buy and on the same keys "L" "4" etc... AFAIK, so that's a non issue. Otherwise my machine is perfect.

Reactions: SerpentEagle

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Haha, I was just going to post or check here if anyone had the same issue. This must be a common problem, mine has the same thing but just on the bottom left side. The other thing I noticed is the keyboard has some keys that are lit more than others from the bottom when looking at a certain angle but that's present on all new MacBooks I checked at best buy and on the same keys "L" "4" etc... AFAIK, so that's a non issue. Otherwise my machine is perfect.
Here is mine for reference.
20211029_131318_HDR.jpg

Reactions: WinkleStinkle

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Oh yeah must be a common issue. That’s unfortunate, I know it’s really insignificant but it catches my eye now that I know it’s there.
Do you have a photo of what yours look like? I'm. Thinking if it's worth a warranty exchange on what's otherwise a perfect machine.

mrwood

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
This is NOT an issue. It's much crazier than that:

The new MacBook Pro's have "active aero" like on a Porsche (or like an aileron on an airplane).

This black trim piece is actually on its own hinge, adapting itself for the fan exhaust. With the display open, the trim piece is flush, when the display is in clamshell mode (closed) the trim piece rotates revealing "fins" that match up with the exhaust port outlets.

I might make a more detailed post about this with a diagram because nobody is talking about it, not even iFixit caught this to my knowledge.

2021 16" MacBook Pro.

WinkleStinkle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
This is NOT an issue. It's much crazier than that:

The new MacBook Pro's have "active aero" like on a Porsche (or like an aileron on an airplane).

This black trim piece is actually on its own hinge, adapting itself for the fan exhaust. With the display open, the trim piece is flush, when the display is in clamshell mode (closed) the trim piece rotates revealing "fins" that match up with the exhaust port outlets.

I might make a more detailed post about this with a diagram because nobody is talking about it, not even iFixit caught this to my knowledge.

2021 16" MacBook Pro.
I get the humor, but this is a $2,000+ device. It's not unreasonable to be unhappy about a having a piece that you're staring at not being glued correctly.

mrwood

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
I'm literally not joking. No humor here.

This piece is not glued. It rotates when you close the display to direct airflow for clamshell mode.

Zero glue.

I think the "bumps" are from the display cables running underneath (when the display is open).

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
I get the humor, but this is a $2,000+ device. It's not unreasonable to be unhappy about a having a piece that you're staring at not being glued correctly.
It almost looks like the frame at that angle is sitting on top of the black strip as opposed to the black strip sitting on top of the edge of the frame and holding it down. If you push the frame you should be able to flex the frame up and down at that spot. I noticed looking from the top a faint black indentation on the black strip, very hard to notice.

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004

This piece is not glued. It rotates when you close the display to direct airflow for clamshell mode.

Zero glue.

I think the "bumps" are from the display cables running underneath (when the display is open).
I think it's the strip too short or damaged during install and the frame is sitting on top of the strip and not being held down by the black ribbon strip on those particular spots.

Reactions: WinkleStinkle

WinkleStinkle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021

Zero glue.

Oh I apologize, I misunderstood what you were explaining. But still this piece is still not fitted properly.

mrwood

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
Oh I apologize, I misunderstood what you were explaining. But still this piece is still not fitted properly.
I don't think its a fitment issue per se, rather the plastic trim piece is flexing from the display cables running underneath.

It's an oversight for sure, this trim piece should have been tested better.

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
I don't think its a fitment issue per se, rather the plastic trim piece is flexing from the display cables running underneath.

It's an oversight for sure, this trim piece should have been tested better.
Wondering, are you seeing this on your unit?

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Oh my, likely a widespread issue then. I guess I'll keep it as is since the screen is fine otherwise.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Same here, only visible under certain lighting conditions. Don't care much, but rather wish I hadn't seen this post ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.