Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SerpentEagle

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2021
Although the visible part are this small lighter portions visible in the bottom bordering of the strip below the display, I believe that whole bottom part would be lighter if the strip was adhered to the display case.
Can any of you having this issue do a little test:
if you slide you fingertip along that bottom border of the strip, while you light it properly I believe you would be able to see there's a little play all along that border.
At least in my case it happens.
That strip is perfectly adhered for about 2/3 of its heigh (beginning from the bottom border of towards the bottom of the strip), being that approximately the last 1/3 or even less are not adhered, just sits on the display case.
Waiting for your input.

I can confirm from my end that this is the case. The fact that you can even bend it is really disappointing to see from a $2-5k laptop, let alone any product from Apple.

7422736m

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
I can confirm from my end that this is the case. The fact that you can even bend it is really disappointing to see from a $2-5k laptop, let alone any product from Apple.
The strip has that play I mention when you run your finger across it?
If so, I believe is nothing to be disappointed with as it seems clearly a design option to avoid cases like the one I am posting a picture of, where something got into the bottom and top case and when closing the lid of the MBP that strip simply cracked.
By replacing this strip with a flexible one, this kind of issue is avoided.
This is not an unseen solution as I've already seen this on some high-end laptops.

Attachments

• 52efb52b-4792-4ed3-9f1b-ec8e69217b84.jpeg
    52efb52b-4792-4ed3-9f1b-ec8e69217b84.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 392

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
My 16 and all the demos i checked have same issue with different locations. Classic Apple quality control…

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
Got my new MBP 16 M1 Pro 1TB model and ZERO GAPS between the display piece and hinge! The laptop is basically perfect without any defects except for the same light leak from the keyboard (which you can clearly see at angles but not a deal breaker)
Are you sure? Could you please add photo with flash light illuminated

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Seems like there are numerous reports of this trim piece being "uneven", etc.

I'm thinking that there might be a reason that Apple chose to let this "float" and not secure it down.

Or, as Steve Jobs might have said, "you're not looking at it right" ... :mad:

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Apple Quality Control is such a freakin joke considering how much we pay for it and how much hype is attached to it. Every damn time I buy a MacBook we have issues. I must have gone through 15 units in the last 15 years. Keyboard Issues, Screen coating issues, Battery Issues, Stage light LCD panel issues, botched up repairs, scratches, dents out righty out of the box, uneven parts parts like crooked uneven trackpads. I have lost track of how many Apple issues I had to deal with in the past, and now we have these units with cheaply made or designed Screen Panel frames and visible glue residue.

The only Apple device I never had an issue out of the box were my iPod's and my iPhone 13 Pro Max which has not so great viewing angles compared to my LG v60 OLED Panel but I assume that's how they all are. Otherwise a perfect device.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
This is a terrible situation because quality control of Apple for MacBook Pro is a mysterious lottery. The new one may come with same issue or other issue like dead pixel stuck pixel display tint strach dent opening click etc :( My first 16 had 2 stuck pixels and replaced

Last edited:

Cjallen

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
I have a the same issue but at the top of the screen. Apple sent a replacement for the original “lost” order and told me to keep this when it arrives. Hopefully, it’s not the same.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
If so, I believe is nothing to be disappointed with as it seems clearly a design option to avoid cases like the one I am posting a picture of, where something got into the bottom and top case and when closing the lid of the MBP that strip simply cracked.
This is not an unseen solution as I've already seen this on some high-end laptops.
I am really confused about this. Is this a method caller flexible strip or “stripgate” ???

Last edited:

yuhan zhun

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2022
I had this issue with my original 16", and I requested a replacement. These photos are the new one. The hinge gap is not that obvious, but it still feels very wavy. I checked with a flashlight, and you can find some shade along the line in the pictures.

Attachments

• tempImageXJcgJe.png
    tempImageXJcgJe.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 286
  • tempImagenDH60Y.png
    tempImagenDH60Y.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 289
  • tempImage1JMEvx.png
    tempImage1JMEvx.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 322

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
View attachment 1883376 Wondering if anyone else has this issue with their new MBPs? It looks like the piece under the display is not glued evenly and it sticking up further in certain spots than others making it uneven. Is this worth a return?
So my 16” 64gb 2tb Max came after 9 weeks and has same issue. I went to my Apple store and all 4 of their display models 14” and 16” in grey and silver had it.

It’s clearly not supposed to be like that.

I went to iFixit.com and looked at tear down pictures which one can see why it is like that.
And it doesn't appear any cables are under it it's a simple vent cover that covers an antenna running underneath it from fixit notes.

There is no glue used at all on that part. It’s supported by parts except at the vents which is why it bows down in those areas. As there is no support at vents.

But machine is flawless otherwise and benchmarks faster then same machines listed on Mac chart by 200 pts at Geekbench so really reluctant to give it up unless sure replacement doesn’t have wavy trim…..

Anyhow I sent email with pictures to Tim Cook after leaving Apple store I went to see their displays at. As for a $4600 laptop I expect better.

Their Retail Executive Relations called me next day and are expediting a replacement allowing me to keep this one until that arrives.

I can’t ask for more than that but have a suspicion the new one won’t be any different.

This is so wide spread most don’t know they even have it. I originally looked at flat part on screen not realizing it was piece below that everyone was talking about. It was on my 3rd day of ownership I noticed it.

So fingers crossed and at least they aren’t making me be without a computer for that period. But no darn way did they design and engineer that vent trim to be wavy like that. No way at all.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I had this issue with my original 16", and I requested a replacement. These photos are the new one. The hinge gap is not that obvious, but it still feels very wavy. I checked with a flashlight, and you can find some shade along the line in the pictures.
Yep, that and the light bleed under the “4” key are pretty consistent among these new laptops. I find the light bleed to be much more distracting, but in the grand scheme of things who really cares?

darthpotato94

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
i have the same wavy issue. i actually feel better that its so common and im not the only one. i guess it feels less lonely. lol. i dont think its worth returning. you will probably get another one with the same issue. funny thing is my macbook air does not have a wavy trim at all.

melodrake

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
Australia
I noticed the same after reading this thread but it's hardly noticeable. Don't think I'll return based on this especially given it takes weeks to ship to an Apple store. The design seems a bit weird to be unevenly glued down there but my mac is otherwise perfect (besides the tiniest mark somewhere I can't even remember) and I love it. I do have apple care+ just in case.

limtheanhok

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
Well, I might be late to this thread but Apple QC suck (including their iPhone 13 Pro Max line). I also noticed this problems on my Macbook Pro 14" (Properly February Batch). I already contact my local authorized service center and they will look up on this issue

bintangsbgj

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
Indonesia
I was wondering does anyone know what type of material being used for the chin bezel/baffle on the new MBP 2021? Looking back on the previous gen MBP/current MBA that there were so many cases where the chin cracked so easily because it was so fragile as it was made of a very thin glass (looking at the crack characteristics). Maybe I am being too paranoid but I am so worried that the 2021 MBP is using the same material as the previous gen that it could shatter the same way as the previous gen did ? does anyone has this information?

gianmarco6404

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2022
Same issue on my 14", I already contact my local authorized service center, they inspected the computer and it was all normal for them, however I insisted on a repair and agreed to change the display, we will see if the new display will be better

piattj

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2021
Is it not just areas where no vent / vent is located so it 'feels different' when you run your finger along?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Didn't notice it, until I used a spotlight and magnification same areas at a 90 degree angle to view. I guess Ill be returning mine ( joke )
All the newbies feeling hard done by with the wavy rubber trim hinge area. LOL

Last edited:

brosenz

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I got a 16" recently, I think it is early March build, no issue, the strip is flat, there is no separation from the LCD

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
The imperfection can be seen consistently with a light source having 5K color temperature. When looking at the left and right areas on a 16" M1, it's easy to see. It's not visible to me otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Try locating it with 1000 lumens flashlight and a magnify glass. Worked for me :D:D:D
Yeah it has it but it’s minor compared to what I’ve seen in other people’s picture. I don’t notice it during regular use and it hasn’t worsened so not an issue for me. Everything else is perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.