Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhoneAtlas reports that one click web-based Jailbreak for the iPhone and iPod Touch has seen 144,000 downloads since its release. The programmers estimates that this number represents approximately 100,000 actual devices.

AppSnapp allows iPhone and iPod Touch users to "jailbreak" their device easily to allow installation of 3rd party applications. Using the known TIFF exploit, by simply downloading the image on your device's Safari browser triggers the application to open up the iPhone and install the proper applications.

Article Link

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Too bad there aren't numbers for downloads per device. I would like to see the number of iPod touch downloads compared to iPhone downloads.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
that's good news. maybe it'll push apple to a surprsie announcement of the availability of the iphone native apps dev kit this month instead of early in the new year :D

Can AppSnapp be installed using EDGE or is it meant only for a WiFi connection?

yes, but it'll be slow.

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ
that's good news. maybe it'll push apple to a surprsie announcement of the availability of the iphone native apps dev kit this month instead of early in the new year :D

yes, but it'll be slow.

That's a bit of a generalization, as it is not THAT slow. Slow, yes, but not unbearable.

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ
Too bad there aren't numbers for downloads per device. I would like to see the number of iPod touch downloads compared to iPhone downloads.

That would be something like 143,996 to 4.

I'm sure the majority of iPod touch downloads are people with BOTH devices, iPod touch and iPhone. The alternative is the wrong demographic for AppSnapp. Or should I say, the wrong demographic to KNOW ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF AppSnapp.

FunkyJunk

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Leesburg, VA, USA
That would be something like 143,996 to 4.

I'm sure the majority of iPod touch downloads are people with BOTH devices, iPod touch and iPhone. The alternative is the wrong demographic for AppSnapp. Or should I say, the wrong demographic to KNOW ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF AppSnapp.

You haven't been over to the Touch forums here lately have you?

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ
Eff AppSnapp. Had it for 2 hours any my EDGE stopped working. Restored.

Ok since this isn't a feature of AppSnapp, do you think maybe you should consider what YOU did wrong? Sadly, so many in this community are quick to blame the software or the dev team or jesus for their iPhone issues.

Hate to break it to you, but when software WORKS on one iPhone, or better one dev team worth of iPhones, then it WOULD work on yours as well.......if you did it right.

Some may say, how can you screw up a one click install? Easy. By installing AppTapp on old firmware, improperly restored firmware, ALREADY HACKED firmware, UNLOCKKKKKKED firmware... Furiously tapping around trying to 'make it work'. Not restarting your phone after install. Not restarting your phone after each of the first few downloads/installs. Not restarting your phone. Not restarting your phone. Not restarting your....oh sorry.

Continuously and obsessively restart your phone during the first stages of any sort of hack/jailbreak to the iPhone and you will be in much better shape than the guys who don't and then blame AppTapp.

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ
You haven't been over to the Touch forums here lately have you?

Sure I have. I was exaggerating obviously, but not dramatically. In the iPod touch forum are the same 10 ten people posting over and over and over again. MANY posters are people who you see have iPhones or are simultaneously posting the same things in iPhone threads. Its gettting quite annoying frankly.

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
then what?

Hi guys, I tried out the AppSnap, yup worked like a snap...
now what?
how do i get apps onto the iPod?
i tried using Cyberduck and SFTP but doesn't seem to work.
do i need to install SSH onto the iPod separately?

and how do i do that? I tried out the INdependence, but the buttons are greyed out, saying that i need to jailbreak first.

Is there an easier way of getting apps onto the iPod after installing Applications?

thanks

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
144.000 downloads by people who have seen the light? Sure this is isns't a jehova's witness commercial? :)

You're thinking 144,000 uploads.

Me, I'll take a religion with unlimited uploads. And a beer volcano.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
Hi guys, I tried out the AppSnap, yup worked like a snap...
now what?
how do i get apps onto the iPod?
i tried using Cyberduck and SFTP but doesn't seem to work.
do i need to install SSH onto the iPod separately?

and how do i do that? I tried out the INdependence, but the buttons are greyed out, saying that i need to jailbreak first.

Is there an easier way of getting apps onto the iPod after installing Applications?

thanks

If AppSnapp did what it is supposed to do, you now have the installer app. tap that. and all the apps are a tap away.

or to install things that might not be listed there first install the SSH access thing then use something like cyberduck to manually access files from your computer.
(of note the username/password i was using with the old firmware was username=root password=dottie, now i had to use username=root password=alpine)

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Yay, 144k paperweights when Apple releases a patch for this. Which is imminent. :rolleyes:

I would think people would be smart enough to heed Apple's warning this time around, and not upgrade "modified" iPhones/iPod Touch's without restoring to the stock firmware.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
You're thinking 144,000 uploads.

Me, I'll take a religion with unlimited uploads. And a beer volcano.

uploads. however downloads would be really cynical.

but I agree on the volcano. and fill up the pool with wine please.

snchpnz

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I wonder how many of those 144,000 were on demo iPhones at Apple Stores... :rolleyes: Trick or treat!

Omg what a great idea!!! Yay, now I have something to do this Friday night. I am going to beautify the iphones at the apple store. Sad yet fun. ;)

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
this program is amazing but has anyone else been able to use any of the applicaton without it crashing on start up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.