Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Does the phone have to be broken if hou have AC +? Can you just request a new phone and pay the $49? I know its a refurb and it prob depends onthe person in store that day to make a decision. But has anyone tried this. If not cant you just cite battery issues? To "accidently" break a phone for no reason sounds silly.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I have wondered this as well. I am interested to hear what experiences people have had getting replacements.
I've always wanted a replacement because of all the small scratches on the screen. With my use I'm hoping to be able to get a new one within two years because of the battery. I also hesitate giving up my phone with no known issues for one that may have a problem.

JuanSrq

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
*accidentally drop it on the ground.

Next few minutes call apple or make an apt

And u should get a new phone on your next visit

Who cares about fakin battery issues why go thru that hassle when u can just break it your self that's why insurances are for..

I've done since the iPhone 4. I returned my 4 about 2 times and my 4s around 2 as well no big deal

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I am almost certain you can pay the fee and replace to replace. Worst case make a Genius Bar appointment and when they give you crap throw it againist the floor and say "I'll take my replacement now!"

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
If there is no physical damage, and it is just some other issue with the phone then that falls under the standard 1yr warranty.
With the 1yr warranty you can get your phone repaired.. Under most situations (all situations for previous generations) they will replace your phone.

So if there is a legitimate situation, just go to the apple store and they take care of you for no charge at all.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
It must be weitten somewhere but way too lazy to go thru all the legal blah blah on that 10 page document ac+ came with

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Does the phone have to be broken if hou have AC +? Can you just request a new phone and pay the $49? I know its a refurb and it prob depends onthe person in store that day to make a decision. But has anyone tried this. If not cant you just cite battery issues? To "accidently" break a phone for no reason sounds silly.

People only started receiving them 11 days ago.
If you received it with a botched battery, why wouldn't you take it in under normal warranty service? You're making this entirely too difficult.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
According to the AppleCare+ terms and conditions it basically covers hardware/battery defects and accidental damage from handling that results in operational or mechanical failure.

It specifically says it does not cover cosmetic damage (scratches and dents) that don't affect the phone's functionality; defects caused by normal wear and tear; or preventative maintenance.

If you are able to walk into an Apple store and have them replace your phone under AppleCare+ without any defect/damage, immediately go buy a lottery ticket because it's your lucky day.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

Who cares about fakin battery issues why go thru that hassle when u can just break it your self that's why insurances are for..

I've done since the iPhone 4. I returned my 4 about 2 times and my 4s around 2 as well no big deal

Are you now promoting theft or dishonesty ? It this the way of some Noobs on this forum ? :mad: You are a Theft JuanSrq

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
According to the AppleCare+ terms and conditions it basically covers hardware/battery defects and accidental damage from handling that results in operational or mechanical failure.

It specifically says it does not cover cosmetic damage (scratches and dents) that don't affect the phone's functionality; defects caused by normal wear and tear; or preventative maintenance.

If you are able to walk into an Apple store and have them replace your phone under AppleCare+ without any defect/damage, immediately go buy a lottery ticket because it's your lucky day.

more often then not they will replace it for any reason b.c you can easily drop your phone.

I am almost certain you can pay the fee and replace to replace. Worst case make a Genius Bar appointment and when they give you crap throw it againist the floor and say "I'll take my replacement now!"

They will most of the time. I have had 2 phones replaced in the past for cosmetic damages right before I went to sell the phone to buy the newest iphone. They also are yet to make me pay the $49 deductible

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Apple care + with the 49 fee is for things you do to the phone yourself, like drop it, break the screen, water, whatever.

When you buy ac+ your standard warranty is extended to two years. So 1 day before the two years are up you can go in and cite battery issues get a brand new phone for free covered by the warranty . .... Sell it and use money to get next generation.

Not saying you should do this just explaining how ac+ works

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
I recently talked with an Apple staff, and he said there are people who literally dropped the phone on the ground in the store on purpose, and Apple will replace it via AC+ with the $49 fee. The phone is covered as long as its broken, doesn't matter how it breaks.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple care + with the 49 fee is for things you do to the phone yourself, like drop it, break the screen, water, whatever.

When you buy ac+ your standard warranty is extended to two years. So 1 day before the two years are up you can go in and cite battery issues get a brand new phone for free covered by the warranty . .... Sell it and use money to get next generation.

Not saying you should do this just explaining how ac+ works

I recently talked with an Apple staff, and he said there are people who literally dropped the phone on the ground in the store on purpose, and Apple will replace it via AC+ with the $49 fee. The phone is covered as long as its broken, doesn't matter how it breaks.

exactly. If you want a new phone for cosmetic reasons, just drop it and then take it into the store. Even if the screen is not cracked, the damage from the fall is not "normal wear and tear", so they would replace it. Really the only reason for a replacement would be from damage not caused by normal wear and tear unless the anodizing doesn't hold up.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Are you now promoting theft or dishonesty ? It this the way of some Noobs on this forum ?
No it's not just the new people, it's part of Apples ego driven example of selfish consumption. The number of new & highly experienced iPeople that only care about what's in it for them, return / exchange a mind boggling number of phones, laptops etc.

----------

exactly. If you want a new phone for cosmetic reasons, just drop it and then take it into the store. Even if the screen is not cracked, the damage from the fall is not "normal wear and tear", so they would replace it. Really the only reason for a replacement would be from damage not caused by normal wear and tear unless the anodizing doesn't hold up.
What a horrid choice reflecting complete lack of honesty.

A word iPeople choose to ignore, much less practice.

Simply _disgusting_ :eek:

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011

Now place your hand Up to your four head with your index finger pointing upward and you're thumb pointing to the side ......

LOOSER!!!!!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No it's not just the new people, it's part of Apples ego driven example of selfish consumption. The number of new & highly experienced iPeople that only care about what's in it for them, return / exchange a mind boggling number of phones, laptops etc.

----------

What a horrid choice reflecting complete lack of honesty.

A word iPeople choose to ignore, much less practice.

Simply _disgusting_ :eek:

I can't understand how you can even think that. It is insurance that I PAID for and will possibly pay a deductible for if I cash in on it. The same way if i scratched my car and wanted it fixed. Nothing dishonest about it. What someone else considers normal wear and tear may be different than what I think. Good luck going through life with that closed minded thinking.

oh and just so you know....when apple sells applecare+ they really push the fact if you want a new phone b.c of cosmetic damage you can get one. I have even been told to drop it by their employees.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
People only started receiving them 11 days ago.
If you received it with a botched battery, why wouldn't you take it in under normal warranty service? You're making this entirely too difficult.

Confused by yourcomment? Ac+ is only available for iphone 5??

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Confused by yourcomment? Ac+ is only available for iphone 5??

he is saying that if a phone if 11 days old and needs to be replaced for manufacturing defects you do not need to use applecare+. Even if you have applecare+ and something goes wrong w/i the first year (manufacturing defect) that does not count against your 2 replacement phones and is replaced for free.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
he is saying that if a phone if 11 days old and needs to be replaced for manufacturing defects you do not need to use applecare+. Even if you have applecare+ and something goes wrong w/i the first year (manufacturing defect) that does not count against your 2 replacement phones and is replaced for free.

Haha i know. Just making the point that this thread is not just about ip5. But ac+ in general

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I can't understand how you can even think that. It is insurance that I PAID for and will possibly pay a deductible for if I cash in on it. The same way if i scratched my car and wanted it fixed. Nothing dishonest about it. What someone else considers normal wear and tear may be different than what I think. Good luck going through life with that closed minded thinking.

oh and just so you know....when apple sells applecare+ they really push the fact if you want a new phone b.c of cosmetic damage you can get one. I have even been told to drop it by their employees.

It's absolutely dishonest.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's absolutely dishonest.

why would you want a new phone if it was not damaged? ...oh yeah, you wouldn't. That is why you buy applecare+...to replace a damaged phone, no matter what kind of damage it is. I guess I cannot understand how people are that "good" or "honest". Must be a real beast. Like i said, I have been encouraged to drop if by their employees

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
why would you want a new phone if it was not damaged? ...oh yeah, you wouldn't. That is why you buy applecare+...to replace a damaged phone, no matter what kind of damage it is. I guess I cannot understand how people are that "good" or "honest". Must be a real beast. Like i said, I have been encouraged to drop if by their employees
I would return it WITH THE REAL damage. If it's truly damaged, they should replace it.

armoredsaint

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
USA
558340_lg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.