15" 2016 TB MBP models now available on Apple's Refurbished Store

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
And the irony is I JUST placed my order for a BRAND NEW ONE before 5pm today. Literally couldn't make this up. Friend works at Apple so I got a fairly reasonable discount but imagine if I would've waited three more hours.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Oh no, that's too bad. But, the refurbished discounts aren't too major and you say said you already got a discount so you probably didn't spend too much more then you would have anyway. You always have that 14 day window if the difference is worth the hassle.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Oh no, that's too bad. But, the refurbished discounts aren't too major and you say said you already got a discount so you probably didn't spend too much more then you would have anyway. You always have that 14 day window if the difference is worth the hassle.
Yeah bro it was a bit of a bummer but honestly I ended up getting those specs above for 2708.94 including two day shipping and tax included so I think I made out pretty good. Bummer is I could've actually got a refurbished one with a better Radeon for the 2900 but not sure if Apple employee discounts work on refurbs.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Looks like you paid the same price as the refurbished model. Nice discount on the new one. With these 2016 MBPs priced the way they are, you have got to take what you can get. lol
As for the better Radeon card, tough call. Haven't used any of the 2016 15" models yet. Depends what you are going to be using your computer for. Is it worth the extra $170(455 pro)-250(460 pro), it may or may not be.

Reactions: HeyGreggie

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Anyone have experience with refurb'd MBPs? How is the quality compared to brand new? Does it come in a new retail box?

LethalOptical

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2016
IRL
Some tempting configurations listed, anyone know how the Radeon Pro 460 has been holding up? I know users were experiencing some issues but I haven't seen any posts saying performance improved.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Some tempting configurations listed, anyone know how the Radeon Pro 460 has been holding up? I know users were experiencing some issues but I haven't seen any posts saying performance improved.
I got a brand new 460, and on the first startup I had a rainbow burst screen for a few seconds. After that setup completed normally and the computer performed well, generally. But, I did feel like I hung more often than usual with the spinning beach ball, just doing some simple tasks like switching safari tabs. I sent it back.

Overall though, it seemed fine. It does run hotter than the base 450, but so does the 455. Battery life is also slightly less than the base 450.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Looks like some pretty decent deals. I have the 15" 2.7/1TB/460 model. It was $3299 new and $2799 on the refurb site. Pretty good discount.

I've purchased refurbs in the past. Never had a problem with any of them. They all look new and the laptops have always had battery cycles at or around 0.

LethalOptical

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2016
IRL
After adding a 15in TB to my cart I try to add AppleCare for purchase as well but I get pop up in the screenshot I uploaded. Any reason as to why?

Attachments

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
After adding a 15in TB to my cart I try to add AppleCare for purchase as well but I get pop up in the screenshot I uploaded. Any reason as to why?
Don't worry about it. Delete AppleCare and buy it later.

Since AppleCare for a MacBook does not cover accidental damage you can always get it at a later data during your original warranty period. Some people get it at discount from Amazon.

LethalOptical

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2016
IRL
Don't worry about it. Delete AppleCare and buy it later.

Since AppleCare for a MacBook does not cover accidental damage you can always get it at a later data during your original warranty period. Some people get it at discount from Amazon.
VERY cool, I will do that & thank you for the tip!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Been waiting for this. Bought one. 2.6/16/512/460. I'll happily take the better graphics card over the extra 0.1Ghz. Wish they'd had a 2.6/16/512/450, but oh well. This gives me 14 days to see if I can adjust to the keyboard, miss my function keys terribly, etc. If not, I'll keep using my old one.

I'm surprised at some of you saying the refurb discount isn't that much. I think it's pretty substantial. And while I wouldn't go with refurbs from pretty much any other manufacturer, I've found the Apple ones to be top-notch. The only downside in sales tax from Apple, but that's mostly offset using the 5% Discover Deals (and I'd use Discover anyway for the extra 1 year of warranty).

Reactions: MrGuder

Sanpete

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Does this mean if it was just bought from B&H it can't be returned?
There's a 14-day return window at any authorized dealer.
[doublepost=1490118637][/doublepost]
Haven't heard of any problems specific to the 460, i.e. that don't also happen with the others.

Reactions: medulla
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.