Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Right they don't accept returns on opened computer boxes. That's why I'd never order from them.

Yeah, maybe I'm wrong about the 14-day return policy. B&H has a 30-day return policy for defective products, which they have told some people applies here, but that's not the same as a policy that covers changing your mind, and some at B&H say all warranty issues are handled by Apple. So check first.

LethalOptical

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2016
IRL
Its settled, been reading articles and lurking around here since last July. Today I finally picked something up:

2.9/16/512/460

for under $2700? Yes please!

Reactions: Sanpete

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Right they don't accept returns on opened computer boxes. That's why I'd never order from them.

B&H will do a return if you get a computer with a defect. I got one a few months back. It was for a custom config that they no longer had in stock, so they setup a RMA for a full refund. Very good customer service with those guys.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
They show up occasionally. You just have to keep checking—or use one of the sites that tracks refurb stock and set up an alert.

Oh, a tracking site sounds great! DO you have a favorite/one that has proven reliable?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Yeah it's understandable they would accept a return for defect, any retailer would do that, but regular returns is a no on PCs for them if it's opened. The benefit with them is the tax break.

As a side note, earlier I saw 23 2016 15" in the Apple refurb store, isn't it really early for this many returns showing up in March.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Oh, a tracking site sounds great! DO you have a favorite/one that has proven reliable?
Refurb-tracker and refurbme both work. The latter tends to churn up non-Apple results, and I haven't figured out how to turn that off.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Refurb prices are more in line with what the retail prices should be to begin with IMO.

Agreed.

On the bright side, these refurbished units probably underwent way more QC testing than the new ones, given Apple's lovingly anal with their refurbished products. I prefer refurbished over new actually...

Reactions: turbineseaplane

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
They show up occasionally. You just have to keep checking—or use one of the sites that tracks refurb stock and set up an alert.

the 2015 refurbs go fast, so be ready with credit card in hand.

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
As a side note, earlier I saw 23 2016 15" in the Apple refurb store, isn't it really early for this many returns showing up in March.

Almost five months since they came out. Is that unusual?
[doublepost=1490134192][/doublepost]

Took half over half a day last time I noticed, so you can walk to get the credit card!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I think what a lot of people need to ask themselves who returned these....is it worth re buying the same model you returned for whatever your reason and save yourself now between $360.00 to $420.00. I personally think that's a great savings. I just wish they didn't have software lag and keyboard issues. I miss that incredible display, especially going back to my 2009 Dell Studio argh.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Almost five months since they came out. Is that unusual?
[doublepost=1490134192][/doublepost]

Took half over half a day last time I noticed, so you can walk to get the credit card!

I don't know about it being unusual but I figured there would be 2 or 3 maybe but at one time I saw over 20 and now it's about 16 sitting there. Something is really odd that there are so many of them and no one is buying them. The savings is great in my opinion so it can't be about the money. I know some here won't agree but people are not buying these like Apple wants you to think. All assumption on my part but I bet the return rate on these are a lot higher than we might think. If we continue to see 15-20 of these sitting in the refurb store over the next few months then something odd is going on that some people here don't want to admit.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I don't know about it being unusual but I figured there would be 2 or 3 maybe but at one time I saw over 20 and now it's about 16 sitting there. Something is really odd that there are so many of them and no one is buying them. The savings is great in my opinion so it can't be about the money. I know some here won't agree but people are not buying these like Apple wants you to think. All assumption on my part but I bet the return rate on these are a lot higher than we might think. If we continue to see 15-20 of these sitting in the refurb store over the next few months then something odd is going on that some people here don't want to admit.

We can't tell how many refurbs they're selling. Each entry is for a different variation for which they may have quite a few in stock. Early sales last November reportedly set records, so there were probably also a lot of early returns, especially since there were early busted speakers from Boot Camp and graphics issues, plus having a new kind of keyboard and larger trackpad that some people didn't like.
[doublepost=1490149749][/doublepost]
The base 15" should be $1999 - in fact, that's what it should have cost when introduced. The pricing is still absurd for the value on offer.

Sheer nonsense. The base 15" with 512 GB is $100 more than the 2015, with easily a dozen improvements, including features the 2015 lacked completely.

Reactions: HenryDJP

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Do the batteries and casing get replaced for the MacBooks like the iPhone refurbs? Or is it just a recycled return product?

Do you get a retail box?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Do the batteries and casing get replaced for the MacBooks like the iPhone refurbs? Or is it just a recycled return product?

Do you get a retail box?
I believe that both are replaced. I've never had more than a few charge cycles on a refurb, and they look brand new. As for the box, no. It's a nondescript brown box. If you didn't see that, you really couldn't tell a difference between new and refurb.

Reactions: NovemberWhiskey

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I don't think your conclusions are correct here. First of all, these are likely configs and not one and only MBP's. You seeing 20 of these in the store means there are likely many untold number of these that fall within those 20 configs onscreen. When a config is no longer available it is gone. We have no idea of knowing how many of these were sold. Second, Apple has sold millions of these. So yes, there will be more than 15-20 returned out of those millions. Every single return seems to be documented on MR so there must be thousands here alone. But we don't really know how many again.

I'm not seeing some conspiracy by Apple you're alluding to, this is business as usual for every company. They are intentionally vague about returns and sales of specific units for competitive reasons, not to make Apple loyalists happy. Literally every company that has any competitors does this. Nothing "odd" going on here. Not sure why you are suspicious. Saw your earlier post about these refurbs being released early. Again, not sure what that means whether it's early or late or right on.

I've heard people have been waiting for refurbs, so this is all good news right?

Reactions: HenryDJP

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Anyone have experience with refurb'd MBPs? How is the quality compared to brand new? Does it come in a new retail box?
The 13" MBPr I am using is a refurbished, all refurbished computers and ipads come in the same white box as retail it just says "Refurbished" on the box. As for the quality, if I put the two same models next to one another the only way to tell the difference is the serial number sequence. Refurbs supposedly start off with a different sequence for identification purpose's.
[doublepost=1490354188][/doublepost]
I'll second that, if you snooze you loose on the refurbished one's. I'm waiting on a 15" entry level but with 512 instead of 256 and only seeing the latest models.

Also Apple could be pushing all of these out because of the newer processor coming in something in the next couple of month's.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I believe that both are replaced. I've never had more than a few charge cycles on a refurb, and they look brand new. As for the box, no. It's a nondescript brown box. If you didn't see that, you really couldn't tell a difference between new and refurb.

I don't think they replace the batteries or cases. I have gotten units 6 or 7 battery cycles on them. Since they are returns in the 14 day window, that sounds like a reasonable number.

They do check them out thoroughly.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
The 13" MBPr I am using is a refurbished, all refurbished computers and ipads come in the same white box as retail it just says "Refurbished" on the box. As for the quality, if I put the two same models next to one another the only way to tell the difference is the serial number sequence. Refurbs supposedly start off with a different sequence for identification purpose's.
[doublepost=1490354188][/doublepost]
I'll second that, if you snooze you loose on the refurbished one's. I'm waiting on a 15" entry level but with 512 instead of 256 and only seeing the latest models.

Also Apple could be pushing all of these out because of the newer processor coming in something in the next couple of month's.
I don't think new MBP's will come in months like you said, it's most likely going to be 8 months available in Nov 2017. History shows they only released updated MBP one time at WWDC in June a long time ago.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I don't think they replace the batteries or cases. I have gotten units 6 or 7 battery cycles on them. Since they are returns in the 14 day window, that sounds like a reasonable number.

They do check them out thoroughly.
They are returns, but I don't think they are all from the 14 day window, are they? The fact that the cases look immaculate is what tells me what they are sometimes replaced. People just aren't that careful.

As for the batteries, maybe it's possible they run them through tests? The one I got yesterday has 7 cycles too.

You could be right and I'm just way off here. Perhaps anything outside the 14 day window just gets stripped down for parts. Either way, they are close enough to new for me to be happy. I noticed they even changed the boxes from old brown ones to white ones that have "refurbished" in tiny print. I wouldn't buy a refurb from almost anyone else, but Apple's are great.

Reactions: MrGuder

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I don't think new MBP's will come in months like you said, it's most likely going to be 8 months available in Nov 2017. History shows they only released updated MBP one time at WWDC in June a long time ago.
Thats not what I said, usually apple starts putting the current model in the refurbished section at the 6 month + time frame. Like all you see in the 13 and 15 inch MBP section is the new over priced MBP

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Thats not what I said, usually apple starts putting the current model in the refurbished section at the 6 month + time frame. Like all you see in the 13 and 15 inch MBP section is the new over priced MBP

Ok this is what you said:

"Also Apple could be pushing all of these out because of the newer processor coming in something in the next couple of month's."

So your saying the newer processor is coming in "something" in the next couple months so that might be why Apple is pushing these out in the refurb store. Perhaps you should be more clearer in your writing so all people that read understand what your trying to say. Your quote is actually very vague probably why no one responded. The reader should not have to decipher what "something" is....

In any case none of it really matters, there is still a boatload (19 to be specific as of this writing) of these 15" 2016 MBP's in the refurb store...it still looks very odd to me why so many of these are for sale.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
They are returns, but I don't think they are all from the 14 day window, are they? The fact that the cases look immaculate is what tells me what they are sometimes replaced. People just aren't that careful.

As for the batteries, maybe it's possible they run them through tests? The one I got yesterday has 7 cycles too.

You could be right and I'm just way off here. Perhaps anything outside the 14 day window just gets stripped down for parts. Either way, they are close enough to new for me to be happy. I noticed they even changed the boxes from old brown ones to white ones that have "refurbished" in tiny print. I wouldn't buy a refurb from almost anyone else, but Apple's are great.

If you guys download the Battery app in the App Store, it will tell you the build date, battery cycle count, etc.

I've gotten one with 17 cycles, Dec 1 build date; and another with 4 cycles, Oct 1 build date. Both exteriors looked immaculate, but the Oct 1 came with a small scratch on the bottom lid. Both keyboards feel slightly wonkier than a brand new MacBook. Otherwise, it would be hard to tell the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.