Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KKStoklund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Denmark
Hi people,

I just got my new 15" haswell macbook pro a couple of days ago. The 2.3Gz 500gb 750M one.. Does anyone else with the same model experience lousy battery performance? I've drained and recharged the battery a couple of times during the last few days, and still it only lasts for about 4 hours of web surfing. No photoshop, gaming or any other heavy tasks.

Let me know about your battery experiences with the same model.

Cheers ;)

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Mine has been weird. 1 minute it will tell me 4 hours remain and the next it will tell me over 10. All in all, I get good battery life out of it. I have had it since Thursday and have only charged it once since the initial charge. I also boot camp windows to use visual studio.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I got the same model 2.3/16/512. I have not done any real battery measurement. I think I got really great performance. Last time I remembered, 100% at 6am: casual usage all day, by 8pm it was still at ~50% level. I closed the lid every time I was not using the laptop. The last charge I did was yesterday at around 5pm before I left work, it was at 100%. I didn't use the laptop all night, not till right at this moment. when I open the lid, the battery still said 100% even after 10min of usage. That was over 12hrs on sleep.

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
Hello

Can you tell me the temps you have ..surfing...and for exemple seeing a youtube video. In ºC.

I bought a base 15" model..but i thing to change to the next level.

The base 15 surf round 32ºC youtube 40ºC

Last edited:

Donsig

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
I've also got the base 750m one, and I too get around 4 hours on a fully charged battery while doing virtually nothing. Even went to the reseller where I bought mine and got it exchanged for a new one (Turns out that one even had a faulty battery chip), still got the same issue though.

I think the highest I've had it report was 8 hours remaining on a 100% charge while no apps were running.
Honestly I'm quite disappointed, seeing how I've read about others who got to push theirs upwards of 10-11 hours.

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
So at the moment I'm using Safari, Outlook, Word and VNC Viewer. Brightness set to, well, I think about 40%, it shows me 8h remaining with 82% battery.

Domdog31

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
do we need 100 diff battery threads on here? Could the OP do a quick search and see this has been discussed in length. Not so much for the OP but for others searching for the same question its gets diluted in the multiple threads.

I love this community but there are way too many duplicate threads covering the same 3 or 4 topics.

tomtom101

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Could anyone tell me what the battery is like on the 750m model when running windows through boot camp? Hear the 750m has to continuously run!?

Last edited:

KKStoklund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Denmark
I have iPhoto, Evernote, Safari and Powerpoint running. It went from 100% to 60% in 1 hour and now tells me there is 1h 40m left. Do you think I have faulty battery? I really think that's a lousy battery performance.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I have iPhoto, Evernote, Safari and Powerpoint running. It went from 100% to 60% in 1 hour and now tells me there is 1h 40m left. Do you think I have faulty battery? I really think that's a lousy battery performance.

Powerpoint is the killer here. Powerpoint uses the dGPU for some reason. Try to see your battery performance without Powerpoint open. If that doesn't work, check activity monitor for which apps are using significant energy or the dGPU.

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
There was article on MR not to long ago about how to improve your battery life for MacBooks by keeping the charge between 20%-80%, anyone have the link for that? I cant find it any where.

KKStoklund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Denmark
Powerpoint is the killer here. Powerpoint uses the dGPU for some reason. Try to see your battery performance without Powerpoint open. If that doesn't work, check activity monitor for which apps are using significant energy or the dGPU.

I'll try this. Thanks ;)

Sybersport

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
There is a thread on here somewhere (I read it, but can't find it now) about a kernel_task that runs in the background constantly, that's draining battery. I looked in my activity monitor and have a kernel_task running all the time. No idea what it is, or why it's running.

From what I read in that thread, it will require an OS update on Apple's part to fix.

FYI, I get ~7.5 hours of real-world usage with my 15" 2.3/16/1TB. This is mixed use with wifi on, surfing youtube etc. with flash plug-in, doing some work in Final Cut Pro X, etc. I'm pretty happy and don't worry so much about what the "remaining" battery indicator says.

Broric

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
FYI, I get ~7.5 hours of real-world usage with my 15" 2.3/16/1TB. This is mixed use with wifi on, surfing youtube etc. with flash plug-in, doing some work in Final Cut Pro X, etc. I'm pretty happy and don't worry so much about what the "remaining" battery indicator says.

With light web-browsing and some work (connecting via X11 which forces the dgpu) I get something like 3 hours on battery (15" 2.3/16/512GB).

The battery really seems really poor. Even without the dgpu, I only get something like 4 hours web browsing.

(Also, searching this forum for "battery" returns virtually no results and most of them are really old. If there's a thread already discussing this please link to it)

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Could anyone tell me what the battery is like on the 750m model when running windows through boot camp? Hear the 750m has to continuously run!?

I get readings of about 4 to 5 hours on boot camp. This is using Visual Studio the whole time. I don't know the real world usage though as I don't actually use it for 4 to 5 hours.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I got 11 hours reading books using the new iBooks. It's pretty energy efficient at light tasks for all that power it has.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
There is a thread on here somewhere (I read it, but can't find it now) about a kernel_task that runs in the background constantly, that's draining battery. I looked in my activity monitor and have a kernel_task running all the time. No idea what it is, or why it's running.

From what I read in that thread, it will require an OS update on Apple's part to fix.

The kernel is the "heart" of the OS, you can't boot up without it. It can be a resource hog at times, but it's integral the computer so...

Zodiac.mj

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2013
IGZO would make it last like Air. I left mine (2.6) for the night and after 8 hours of downloading Dropbox and stuff in the background, it was 44% with display set to 0 brightness.

Hope it will come as refresh in 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.