Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
I ordered a 15" MBP with a high-res anti-glare screen two weeks ago. The leasing company now has it ready to ship, only it has a high-res glossy screen. Apple's mistake. They are offering me a free accessory to take the glossy screen, or a 2+ week wait to have it sent back and get the anti-glare screen that I ordered. I have no way of getting to an Apple store to compare. My current MacBook has a glossy screen and it bothers me only occasionally.

I know that this is a very subjective thing, but I thought I would ask for some opinions from those who have experienced both screens. Might it be worth waiting a bit longer to get the anti-glare screen? Or would glossy do just fine with a free bluetooth trackpad thrown in?

Cheers
Cams

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Antiglare will give a less honest picture because the same stuff that makes it prevent glare also makes it look blurry and harder to see. It's not worth ruining that beautiful screen fir something that doesn't even pose an issue.

Neil1138

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Antiglare will give a less honest picture because the same stuff that makes it prevent glare also makes it look blurry and harder to see. It's not worth ruining that beautiful screen fir something that doesn't even pose an issue.

What nonsense is this?

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC

Completely false.

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
I guess the only thing to do to be sure would be to go and check one out in person. Since I can't do that, I think I'll stick with my original decision and wait another two weeks, much as that pains me. :(

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
I am looking into buying a MacBook Pro myself by the end of the month. I have been doing some extensive research on the matter and for me, the anti-glare is the way to go. Surely the glossy has advantages in the richness of the colors and the sharpness but if you want to use your MacBook for a longer time period each day in changing light situations, the glare becomes (for me) a very distracting factor. Its just a safer bet to go with the AG screen and I hope I will be more flexible in choosing my place to work with the Mac when I have an AG screen.

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Everytime I see an anti-glare I am BLOWN AWAY by the clarity and sharpness of it. Would love a 17" anti-glare!

Wait for AG and get the trackpad thrown in as compensation for your additional wait!

cdrgold

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I was torn between the anti-glare and the glossy, I ended up going for the hi-res glossy screen. I must say I am extremely happy with it. Yes, you can sometimes see your reflection in some lighting conditions, but i managed to get used to it. You won't be disappointed

iMackPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
screw waiting 2 weeks. first of all, whoever said the AG makes the pictures blurry is full of *****. the whites are even more white than in the Glossy. However, i have the HD Glossy screen and i love it. It becomes so bright that even during my classes at school (where there are like 400 Flouescent lamps all over the room) i don't really have a problem with glare, its so bright that it cancels out everything else, if you brightness is turned up all the way. AND since the battery is so big and efficient, you can have your computer on 100% brightness while running safari and MS Word and still get like 4 hours, its awesome!

Bottom line is, this is the one thing about a mac in where there is no wrong answer. There is only a better answer. I think the Glossy is the way to go for the general computer user. again, just my opinion. I love how the pictures and movies "pop" in my glossy. I think you're making a mistake but not getting the Glossy in the first place, especially if they're throwing in a 70$ tack-pad! get your **** together and call them back dammit and get that dam glossy screen you fool!!!!

Chazn

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Why did they give you a trackpad when you already have a large trackpad on your Macbook Pro?

I'd say go for the Glossy Screen and it's not that much of a difference between the Anti-glare anyway....actually you'll look sexier with a black glossy bezel. Can you get your extra $50 back and throw the trackpad back at them if you went for the glossy?;)

iMackPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
yeah if you could swap out the trackpad, id rather have the keyboard. i love the bluetooth keyboard. i mean i have both of them and dock my mac but the keyboard is awesome and very responsive. i really wish it was backlit, maybe apple will enlighten us this christmas :D:apple::D

Cams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Isle of Arran, UK
It wasn't that they offered a trackpad, they actually offered an accessory of my choice such as trackpad, keyboard or mouse. I'm thinking I should wait and request a free OS upgrade when Lion comes out?

iMackPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
It wasn't that they offered a trackpad, they actually offered an accessory of my choice such as trackpad, keyboard or mouse. I'm thinking I should wait and request a free OS upgrade when Lion comes out?

no way! lion will only be like 40 bucks. the trackpad or keyboard is deff worth much more!

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
AG AG AG AG AG AG!

Glossy seems fine at first. "Yeah I can just readjust, no big deal" but over time it will annoy the hell out of you. The AG screens are beautiful.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
AG.

I examined both and for me, glossy is a joke. It displays slightly better darker blacks... oh wait it doesn't because whenever the screen is dark, i can clearly see my reflection.

The glossy screen for me was actually a dealbreaker in even getting a MBP 13''.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Glossy is something one can live with. AG is something one cannot live without once you know it.

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I've always preferred Glossy screens. Just keep yourself away from windows and the quality of the colours is fantastic.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I say get the antiglare. It's a laptop, you are going to be moving it around, and the lighting is not the same everywhere. With the antiglare, you don't even have to think about lighting conditions or adjusting your brightness (and thereby drastically decreasing battery life) - you can just enjoy the content on your screen regardless of environment.

I love my antiglare screen.

acron1

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
I prefer the antiglare just a bit over the glossy one but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Plus I do think the glossy's design actually looks nicer...

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I've had both, but keep going back to AG. It's the best if you plan to use your Mac anywhere else besides a dimly lit room. Glossy is beautiful but a compromise IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.