15" high-res glossy or anti-glare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cams, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Cams macrumors regular

I ordered a 15" MBP with a high-res anti-glare screen two weeks ago. The leasing company now has it ready to ship, only it has a high-res glossy screen. Apple's mistake. They are offering me a free accessory to take the glossy screen, or a 2+ week wait to have it sent back and get the anti-glare screen that I ordered. I have no way of getting to an Apple store to compare. My current MacBook has a glossy screen and it bothers me only occasionally.

I know that this is a very subjective thing, but I thought I would ask for some opinions from those who have experienced both screens. Might it be worth waiting a bit longer to get the anti-glare screen? Or would glossy do just fine with a free bluetooth trackpad thrown in?

Cheers
    Cams

2. Nameci, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Antiglare will give a less honest picture because the same stuff that makes it prevent glare also makes it look blurry and harder to see. It's not worth ruining that beautiful screen fir something that doesn't even pose an issue.

4. Neil1138 macrumors regular

What nonsense is this?

5. tcador macrumors regular

Completely false.

6. Cams thread starter macrumors regular

I guess the only thing to do to be sure would be to go and check one out in person. Since I can't do that, I think I'll stick with my original decision and wait another two weeks, much as that pains me. :(

7. mape2k macrumors regular

I am looking into buying a MacBook Pro myself by the end of the month. I have been doing some extensive research on the matter and for me, the anti-glare is the way to go. Surely the glossy has advantages in the richness of the colors and the sharpness but if you want to use your MacBook for a longer time period each day in changing light situations, the glare becomes (for me) a very distracting factor. Its just a safer bet to go with the AG screen and I hope I will be more flexible in choosing my place to work with the Mac when I have an AG screen.

8. amt2002 macrumors member

Everytime I see an anti-glare I am BLOWN AWAY by the clarity and sharpness of it. Would love a 17" anti-glare!

Wait for AG and get the trackpad thrown in as compensation for your additional wait!

9. cdrgold macrumors member

I was torn between the anti-glare and the glossy, I ended up going for the hi-res glossy screen. I must say I am extremely happy with it. Yes, you can sometimes see your reflection in some lighting conditions, but i managed to get used to it. You won't be disappointed

10. iMackPro macrumors 6502

screw waiting 2 weeks. first of all, whoever said the AG makes the pictures blurry is full of *****. the whites are even more white than in the Glossy. However, i have the HD Glossy screen and i love it. It becomes so bright that even during my classes at school (where there are like 400 Flouescent lamps all over the room) i don't really have a problem with glare, its so bright that it cancels out everything else, if you brightness is turned up all the way. AND since the battery is so big and efficient, you can have your computer on 100% brightness while running safari and MS Word and still get like 4 hours, its awesome!

Bottom line is, this is the one thing about a mac in where there is no wrong answer. There is only a better answer. I think the Glossy is the way to go for the general computer user. again, just my opinion. I love how the pictures and movies "pop" in my glossy. I think you're making a mistake but not getting the Glossy in the first place, especially if they're throwing in a 70$ tack-pad! get your **** together and call them back dammit and get that dam glossy screen you fool!!!!

11. Chazn macrumors regular

Why did they give you a trackpad when you already have a large trackpad on your Macbook Pro?

I'd say go for the Glossy Screen and it's not that much of a difference between the Anti-glare anyway....actually you'll look sexier with a black glossy bezel. Can you get your extra $50 back and throw the trackpad back at them if you went for the glossy?;)

12. iMackPro macrumors 6502

yeah if you could swap out the trackpad, id rather have the keyboard. i love the bluetooth keyboard. i mean i have both of them and dock my mac but the keyboard is awesome and very responsive. i really wish it was backlit, maybe apple will enlighten us this christmas :D:apple::D

13. Cams thread starter macrumors regular

It wasn't that they offered a trackpad, they actually offered an accessory of my choice such as trackpad, keyboard or mouse. I'm thinking I should wait and request a free OS upgrade when Lion comes out?

14. iMackPro macrumors 6502

no way! lion will only be like 40 bucks. the trackpad or keyboard is deff worth much more!

15. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

AG AG AG AG AG AG!

Glossy seems fine at first. "Yeah I can just readjust, no big deal" but over time it will annoy the hell out of you. The AG screens are beautiful.

16. aoaaron macrumors 6502

AG.

I examined both and for me, glossy is a joke. It displays slightly better darker blacks... oh wait it doesn't because whenever the screen is dark, i can clearly see my reflection.

The glossy screen for me was actually a dealbreaker in even getting a MBP 13''.

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Glossy is something one can live with. AG is something one cannot live without once you know it.

18. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

I've always preferred Glossy screens. Just keep yourself away from windows and the quality of the colours is fantastic.

19. JTToft macrumors 68040

I say get the antiglare. It's a laptop, you are going to be moving it around, and the lighting is not the same everywhere. With the antiglare, you don't even have to think about lighting conditions or adjusting your brightness (and thereby drastically decreasing battery life) - you can just enjoy the content on your screen regardless of environment.

I love my antiglare screen.

20. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

I prefer the antiglare just a bit over the glossy one but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Plus I do think the glossy's design actually looks nicer...

21. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

I've had both, but keep going back to AG. It's the best if you plan to use your Mac anywhere else besides a dimly lit room. Glossy is beautiful but a compromise IMO.

22. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I would take the glossy high-res, and then buy an anti-glare screen protector. Much cheaper, and protects the screen :)

23. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Dude, I've seen them at the store side by side.

Are you blind. Look at them. The AG looks duller.

If anyone thinks they look equally good they are insane.