macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
Ouch. I guess thats the fall refresh then. Nothing till next year
Hmm... Disappointing. I'm ready to buy now, and was hoping for more options than this. :confused:

£2,399 = 15" MBP, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm, and Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display. Value for money?

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
wow 400$ ???

and 999$ "aggresive" price for the new macbook Air?

OSX is getting more expensive by the keynote!!

Price cut across the board please!!! :(

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Hmm... Disappointing. I'm ready to buy now, and was hoping for more options that this. :confused:

£2,399 = 15" MBP, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm, and Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display. Value for money?
Yep.me too.....now what to do?

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
sandy bridge? EDIT- nevermind, that's the Nehalem successor apparently... sounds cool

anyway, i'm dying for a new MBPro as my Core2 from 2007 is on its last legs- the keyboard and trackpad occasionally don't work, and the backlight doesn't always turn on when i wake from sleep. i was ready to pull the trigger last week on a 15" i7 2.66 but luckily saw a Twitter update about the event today, and this little speed bump seems to be the only thing we're getting on the MBPro this year. would y'all agree about that, or might we get a full refresh in the next couple weeks? last year Apple was direct and said "now our holiday lineup is set!"- but there wasn't any of that with today's happenings.

should i just buy now (even with the Buyers Guide putting it at getting a refresh soon), or hold off a couple more weeks? of course we are approaching the New Year, which is another popular time for updates to come out of Cupertino...

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
17" buyers get screwed. It's a $200 upgrade for 15" buyers, $400 for 17" buyers.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmm... Disappointing. I'm ready to buy now, and was hoping for more options than this. :confused:

Absolutely not. The i5 remains the best bang for buck. £160 more for 133MHz extra for something that is only £10 more according to Intel themselves. Also GPU is still the same even though the 420M has been released by Nvidia.

I was also hoping to buy one b4 i graduated so i can employ the higher education discount but there's not much incentive here so i'll sit tight till Sandy Bridge and use the lady-friend's discount then.

Ochire

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
I don't think you'd ever notice or need the difference between a 2.66 and 2.8. That $200 is much better spend on doubling your ram from 4GB to 8GB.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
These things really need a solid update. This does not qualify as a solid update, not to mention that $200 for a 133MHz bump is bats--t insane and overpriced.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
update, not upgrade

This speed bump was expected, but sadly nothing else was done; for now. Software took hold of the keynote, which is disappointing. I'd rather have more speed, better gpu, hardware enhancements than the silly ability to have fancy slide shows and such for ilife. A event more keen to the 2008 notebook event is what I, along with others are likely looking for. At least, better gpu, lower price, cheaper ssd, etc. Apple is not dumb, they listen to customers and know what users want and where technology is. I firmly believe that although this event was un eventful for the real computers aside from sneak peak of Lion, when Sandy Bridge comes out Apple will utilize this to the extent. Can't wait!!

neutrinosllc

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
I was also waiting on purchase of a MBP for today's announcement, though I expected nothing more than a speed bump. I'll probably request the 15" 2.66 i7.

I think folks disappointed now after Air announcement completely: The future of Apple laptops is instant on, long battery life, smaller, less heat etc.

I expect next year MBPs and MBs to get significant redesigns that chase what Jobs' is after with the Air.

dog13000

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
sandy bridge? EDIT- nevermind, that's the Nehalem successor apparently... sounds cool

anyway, i'm dying for a new MBPro as my Core2 from 2007 is on its last legs- the keyboard and trackpad occasionally don't work, and the backlight doesn't always turn on when i wake from sleep. i was ready to pull the trigger last week on a 15" i7 2.66 but luckily saw a Twitter update about the event today, and this little speed bump seems to be the only thing we're getting on the MBPro this year. would y'all agree about that, or might we get a full refresh in the next couple weeks? last year Apple was direct and said "now our holiday lineup is set!"- but there wasn't any of that with today's happenings.

should i just buy now (even with the Buyers Guide putting it at getting a refresh soon), or hold off a couple more weeks? of course we are approaching the New Year, which is another popular time for updates to come out of Cupertino...
Looking at the buyers guide's history of previous updates I would sadly guess that we're done on updates, but seeing as it's been since February we still might see something in the next two weeks (next week tuesday or the week after perhaps?). I would think any later then that wouldn't give retailers enough stock of the new models for the holidays.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I want to buy two top-end MBPs for my business and am waiting for a big upgrade too, although I really expected to hear about an upgrade during January or April next year. Since I want to use them for high-end stage shows, I'm hoping for a great graphics card, larger fast hard drive (would love a reasonably-priced ssd) and USB 3.0 at least. Guess I won't have the big tax deduction this year....

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Westmere, not Nehalem.

Nehalem (45 nm) -> Westmere (32 nm) -> Sandy Bridge (32 nm)

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)
Wikipedia needs to correct the following sentence:
"Sandy Bridge is the codename for the processor microarchitecture developed by Intel as the successor to Nehalem."

Nehalem-C is now called Westmere, so that the sentence should be:
"Sandy Bridge is the codename for the processor microarchitecture developed by Intel as the successor to Westmere (formerly known as Nehalem-C)."

exigentsky

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
I don't absolutely need a new laptop now but I also wonder if it's worth waiting more. When can a refresh be expected again?

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
What will happen to the 13' MBP then?? Is there no love till next fall??
I'm pretty disappointed about the lack of updates on the 13" MBP too. My company, on my advice, is waiting to buy new MacBooks for us all. We're predominantly mobile, the 15" MBPs are great but too heavy. We want the 13" model, but it's now looking like distinctly old hardware inside and needs an update. Ditto for the bigger models too, really.

I think we'll wait for a couple more weeks to be sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.