15-inch MacBook Pro + Retina Purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZBates9513, Dec 12, 2015.

  1. ZBates9513 macrumors newbie

    ZBates9513

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2015
    #1
    Hey guys, I'm looking into purchasing the 15" MacBook Pro with the Retina display as a Christmas present with the help of my parents. However, I noticed the "Buyer's Guide" for the Retina MacBook Pro says "Don't Buy, Updates Soon". Every year I go to get this as a Christmas present, I run into this issue, and it is why I didn't get it last year! I was wondering what some of your opinions would be about purchasing this and if you think it would be a good idea to wait or to just go ahead and purchase one. Maybe the updates that are rumored aren't really drastic? Thanks for the help!

    Zach
     
  2. coorsleftfield macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    #2
    Wait another year and then you won't but because the 2017 will be out soon. :)
     
  3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

    Mike in Kansas

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2008
    Location:
    Metro Kansas City
    #3
    There's always a new one around the corner. As the average time between MBP updates is ~215 days, after 4 months you are on average closer to an update than farther. So the Buyer's Guide will recommend that you wait 4 months or so for the new one. So you can ask your parents to give you an IOU for a few months from now when the new MBP drops (according to "experts") or you can get it in 2 weeks and be happy with your purchase but aware that the new MBPs could have brought a "must have" feature that the existing ones don't have.
     
  4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #4
    The 2015 15" model has Haswell processors just like the 2014 and late 2013 models. They're plenty fast, but something better will be out next year. Do you need a new computer?

    Buy now if you need one now. If you can wait, you should wait.
     
  5. ZBates9513 thread starter macrumors newbie

    ZBates9513

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2015
    #5
    I've been using my girlfriends Toshiba that she has had since middle school and I am now a junior in college, and it's slowly dying. So yes I could use one, however it's not my main source of computer power. I have a pretty powerful desktop that I use as my primary.
     
  6. T5BRICK macrumors G3

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #6
    The 2016 models should have slightly faster CPU/GPU and better battery life. No major changes though.
     
  7. ZBates9513 thread starter macrumors newbie

    ZBates9513

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2015
    #7
    Skylake, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3?
     
  8. T5BRICK macrumors G3

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #8
    Anything is possible, but since the late 2015 iMacs have Skylake CPUs but no USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 I'm not sure what might happen.
     
  9. coorsleftfield macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    #9
    Better to buy a 2014 model at a big discount than a new model at full retail.
     
  10. ajay96 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2013
    #10
    I just got the 2015 MBP 13" Retina 2 weeks ago, and i'm satisfied. I don't really care for the new features. There will always be new features coming out, it'll never end. :p
     
  11. JJayguy23 macrumors member

    JJayguy23

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    #11
    I'm so excited for you. I have that model, and you will love it! Get a Cinema Display if you can.
     
  12. ZBates9513 thread starter macrumors newbie

    ZBates9513

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2015
    #12
    Very true! That's why I'm just so tempted to do it and get it over with.
     
  13. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2012
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #13
    Do it. Don't wait. Life is short!
     
  14. doitdada macrumors 6502a

    doitdada

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    #14
    An early 2016 redesign may give you buyers remorse. There is an event coming up in three months time. Buckle up.
     
  15. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

    Spudlicious

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2015
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, England
    #15
    Ain't that the truth.
     
  16. coorsleftfield macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    #16
    Go to B&H photo and get the $1799 deal on the 2014 15" MBP with 512GB/16GB. You'll have it now, more machine that you'll ever need, and you'll save ton over waiting for the 2016 and then paying full price for it because you know there will no no discounts on it when it first comes out.
     
  17. SheridanMac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2011
    #17
    Another
    I came very close to doing that myself before opting to spend $320 more and get a refurbished 2015 model (2.5ghz/16gb/512gb/AMD). For most tasks, I doubt I'll notice the performance bump, but I plan on keeping this computer for awhile so wanted the most updated graphics I could get, plus the ability to drive a 5K monitor (albeit using both thunderbolt ports to do so).
     
  18. ZBates9513 thread starter macrumors newbie

    ZBates9513

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2015
    #18
    That's a really good deal. Now the question is, do I go with the 15" Mid 2014 with 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (Crystalwell), 16GB Ram, 512GB Storage, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics, or the 15" Mid 2015 with 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (Crystalwell), 16GB Ram, 256GB Storage, and Integrated Intel Iris Pro Graphics.

    Both for the same price ($1,779.00)
     
  19. coorsleftfield macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    #19
    The 2015 model will give you slightly better CPU performance, another 30 min of battery life, touch force, 2X SSD performance (and better graphics if you bought one with AMD graphics)

    It comes down to how much storage you need, and if you're not running any games, or doing video work, the AMD/nvidia GPU is not needed. Of course is gaming is a factor at all I'd be getting a PC laptop.

    Given the two choices you presented, I'd pick the one with 512GB of storage, but thats me, I can't live with 256GB, and I want the better graphics. I'd probably do what SheridanMac did, and spend a little more to pick up a 512GB 2015 model. Only reason I didn't is because I got the 512GB 2014 on black friday for $1599.

    Don't think you ever said what you'd be using it for. I bought the 15 because I want to do a lot of photo editing and software development, so having a quad-core , 16GB RAM, and the 15" display was key. IF not for those things I would have gone MPB 13" because it travels better and doesn't have the huge price premium the 15s do.
     
  20. T5BRICK macrumors G3

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #20
    Between the two he posted, they both have Haswell CPUs. The 2015 model is 300MHz slower, no way it'll have better CPU performance.
     
  21. AndyK macrumors 65816

    AndyK

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #21
    Buy now. You need the machine, so get it. If you constantly wait you're just crippling yourself further on down the line. It's only worth waiting if you really don't need it now & could then buy the week of a new release.
     
  22. coorsleftfield macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    #22
    Your right , I missed this major detail. Given the two choices the 2014 is a far better machine for the same money. No brainer.
     
  23. ZBates9513 thread starter macrumors newbie

    ZBates9513

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2015
    #23
    Are there any signs or rumors on when this will be? I've only heard early 2016, was trying to research for a scheduled apple event but couldn't find anything.
     
  24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #24
    There won't be an apple event unless there is a major redesign (could happen but i doubt it). Apple are waiting for the appropriate Skylake chips from intel to be released (They only use the ones with IRIS and IRIS Pro graphics in the rMBP's) the Intel roadmap suggests this SHOULD be between feb and april sometime.
     
  25. AndyK macrumors 65816

    AndyK

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #25
    Maybe Q1-2 next year? No one knows, it's only speculation based on Intel roadmaps (as other posters have said) and various things you see in the press. Personally I don't think it's worth the wait. The rMBP 15" is in a good place, so much so I bought one 10 days ago.
     

Share This Page