Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevoTheMacDude

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2021
You can automatically arrange windows on the left or right side of the screen.
You can turn off the start up sound.
You can make the menu bar larger.
You can always show the proxy icon in Finder windows.
Are these questions, or are you stating you know how to do this? Can you explain steps to execute these?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I think you need Monterey, but you can achive the same with Automator: https://savjee.be/2020/07/heic-to-jpg-quick-action-with-automator/

Many thanks for the link. I have just set this up using Automator on my Mac. I'd not have been able to do it without the info you provided. Thank you! 🙂
Thanks a lot from me too!
If you want it to appear in Quick Actions, no need to go through Export and following rules.
Just save the Quick Action
and it will appear automatically where it should, in Quick Actions , closer to reach and with less items than Services, at least for me. Mojave as well 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: ReneeReader

MacFin

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
Command + R will rotate any image or video you have selected on Finder 90 degrees at the time. This is a brilliant shortcut for rotating multiple images at a time if they somehow appear in the wrong orientation. As a photographer, I use this shortcut constantly!

MacFin

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
You can also use Spotlight search as a calculator, currency converter, height and weight calculator, temperature converter, speed converter etc.
I use Spotlight for all of these things. However, there seems to be a bug on Monterey since now you have to sometimes insert empty space between some calculations to make it all work. You can actually try this. For example, 3x3 works just fine, but if you put 3x12 it won't. Only once you put it "3x 12" you will get the sum which is a bit frustrating since we never had to insert a space there.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
The ScreenShot app (Shift+⌘+5) lets you take screenshots and videos.

Same input to stop it...I tried it and I could not stop the recording
till I did Shift+⌘+5 again . No audio though

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
For those of you that like to use keyboard shortcuts, CheatSheet is a neat little utility that shows all available shortcuts for the program you are using. I sometimes forget about it but it can be really useful.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Hold "Option" while clicking on the green window button.
It would be nice if there were a way to maximize the screen without all of the weirdness that comes from "full screen" mode. I'd just like to able to have windows take up the whole usable space, but be able to CMD-tilde between screens, or drag something onto a maximized window (which AFAIK you can't do with full screen).
Dave

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It would be nice if there were a way to maximize the screen without all of the weirdness that comes from "full screen" mode. I'd just like to able to have windows take up the whole usable space, but be able to CMD-tilde between screens, or drag something onto a maximized window (which AFAIK you can't do with full screen).
Dave
There are probably ways to do that involving double clicking on the window titlebar, but I just a third-party window manager that gives me more control over windows that Mac OS does out of the box. I do wish they would enhance that aspect of the OS.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Just a reminder:
Ctrl+A= select all
Ctrl+C= copy
Ctrl+V=paste
Ctrl+X=cut
Ctrl+Z= undo previous command

Shouldn’t that be Cmd + instead of Ctrl?

Cmd+shift+Z = redo previous command

Also Cmd + shift + left/right keys = cycle through Safari Tabs.

Mac Keyboard Shortcuts:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008

SpeQ

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
This is amazing, Automator really needs to be put more in the spotlight. Unfortunately, I tried to make a similar workflow to open images in an app called ExifCleaner but it didn't work. The actual quick action is not showing up in service menu or quick actions although I did install it.

That's a good idea to automate removing EXIF. I need to do that, but I would not download an app. Here's how I do it:

1. open your image in Preview
  2. select all
  3. copy
  4. command - n
  5. save (watch file size - may need to switch from jpeg to png back to jpeg to get file size down)

That will give you a duplicate of your original without the camera/device EXIF.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
That's a good idea to automate removing EXIF. I need to do that, but I would not download an app. Here's how I do it:

1. open your image in Preview
  2. select all
  3. copy
  4. command - n
  5. save (watch file size - may need to switch from jpeg to png back to jpeg to get file size down)

That will give you a duplicate of your original without the camera/device EXIF.

thats a nice work around, but I believe ExifCleaner is open source so no worries about privacy but I still fail to make it a service or quick actions item

SpeQ

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
thats a nice work around, but I believe ExifCleaner is open source so no worries about privacy but I still fail to make it a service or quick actions item
You're right, I don't think that can be automated using Automator. I just tried, but I have little experience with it.

It seems like something that could be easily done, I just don't know how to do it. Automator will open the image in Preview, but from there I don't see how to enter: ⌘a, ⌘c, ⌘n, ⌘s

I finally figured it out, @MacBH928 :

Workflow receives current "image files" in "Finder.app"

add the "Open images in Preview" action,

then click the record button

then double click the image file

then enter ⌘a ⌘c ⌘n ⌘s

then hit stop recording button.

The first two lines will be mouse clicks, delete those by highlighting and then hitting the delete key.

Save file.

It won't run and an error will be thrown up unless you go into "system preferences > security & privacy > accessibility" and add and/or check the box for Automator.app and Finder.app.

This video shows 3 different ways of doing the same thing:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 9.16.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 9.16.00 PM.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
You're right, I don't think that can be automated using Automator. I just tried, but I have little experience with it.

It seems like something that could be easily done, I just don't know how to do it. Automator will open the image in Preview, but from there I don't see how to enter: ⌘a, ⌘c, ⌘n, ⌘s

I finally figured it out, @MacBH928 :

Workflow receives current "image files" in "Finder.app"

add the "Open images in Preview" action,

then click the record button

then double click the image file

then enter ⌘a ⌘c ⌘n ⌘s

then hit stop recording button.

The first two lines will be mouse clicks, delete those by highlighting and then hitting the delete key.

Save file.

It won't run and an error will be thrown up unless you go into "system preferences > security & privacy > accessibility" and add and/or check the box for Automator.app and Finder.app.

This video shows 3 different ways of doing the same thing:

I am pretty sure Automator can do it but needs programming knowledge, Automator is a powerful tool do not be fooled by the friendly interface, its not a novice software.

Like you, I have no idea how to do it , i have no programming knowledge nor scripting

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
I totally missed the memo on the command shift 4 trick. I'm over here cropping my screen shots in preview. ?‍♀️

SpeQ

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
shift option k = 
option $ gives you ¢
option 0 gives you º as in 20º celsius/fahrenheit
Go to “system preferences > keyboard > Input Sources” and put a checkmark in the box before “Show Input menu in menu bar”. This will put an icon on your menu bar, that when clicked on, will open a small keyboard in a window. If you hold down option, it will show you what all the keys do when you hold down option. If you hold down option+shift, it will show you what all the keys do when you hold down option+shift. Etc… It will also show you emoji.

I am pretty sure Automator can do it but needs programming knowledge, Automator is a powerful tool do not be fooled by the friendly interface, its not a novice software.

Like you, I have no idea how to do it , i have no programming knowledge nor scripting
To be clear, I did it with Automator and I have no programming knowledge nor scripting either.

Figuring out how to do it took a while, and figuring out how to solve the error message took a while, but actually doing it took seconds.

Automator is a powerful tool indeed, but these commands are everyday commands used by novices. If you don't feel comfortable with it, I get it. I don't feel comfortable downloading apps.

It's a rewarding feeling to learn something new and accomplish a helpful task. Programming is not reserved for the gods, they are mere mortals too, who once knew nothing.

Reactions: ReneeReader

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
someone said above as well. make MB larger, settings/accessibility/display/select default or larger, requires new login.
Startup menu, I presume you mean login menu? Settings/users and groups/login options
I thought by startup menu he meant the apple animation and sound at boot tbh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.