15" macbook or 17" macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deathbyfish, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Deathbyfish macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am currently in the process of buying a macbook pro. Fortunately, my dad lives in Hong Kong can get me one tax free and bring it over. I currently have a macbook which I love but it just isn't cutting it for me. I need something a lot more powerful, hence the move to a macbook pro.
    I have 2 options:

1) I could get the new 15" 2.2ghz all standard except for the hi-res antiglare screen which is £1150. This would be new from the apple store.

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

2) or, on the apple refurbished store, I have found an early 2011 17" 2.2ghz macbook pro which is all standard spec. It is £1230.

17-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res glossy widescreen display, 1920-by-1200 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

So comparing them, the processors are the same, the 17" has 250gb more memory, they have the same graphics cards, same amount of ram, both have high res screens, and then the 15" has anti-glare. But I could live without antiglare. Is the extra £80 justifiable for a larger screen and hard drive?

Also, has anyone bought a refurbished macbook pro before? what was the condition like? I'm a bit nervous about buying one.

Thank you for your time.

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the 17" is to big get the 15

its not the fact tht its huge or heavy, it takes up alot of surface area. you will know when ur carrying it around, puttint in backpacks etc

3. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

i guess it all really rolls down to your preference. Seeing as to how the 17inch model comes with more Harddisk space and a much higher resolution. Screen real estate is very important to me as is having lots of storage. But as the above poster had mentioned, if the large foot print of the 17" turns you away, then yea go for the 15.

4. GuitarG20, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

size is what's the major differentiator for you. it's a matter of reference... i don't think my 17" is too big, but some think it's too big. If I were you, OP, I wouldn't assume that 17" is too big because people say so. I would go to the Apple Store and take a look (even if you're not buying from there) and see which size/screen suits you the best.

Here's the major difference between the two... The 15" has half as much DDR5 vRAM. So if you need to do a lot of intense graphics processing, then you need to consider the 17" just for the additional vRAM.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

again, that depends on who you are and what you like.

7. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I think my 2011 MBA 11" is a bit too large and my early 2011 MBP 17" is a bit too small.

I wanted the MBA to be my ultra-mobile take-everywhere-even-if-I'm-not-sure-I-will-need-a-computer computer and my MBP 17" to be my desktop-replacement-but-move-around-when-I-need-to computer.

8. harcosparky, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

harcosparky macrumors 68020

Yeah the Apple 17" Macbook Pro is too big.
    It is sooooo big that it fits inside a 15" backpack/case.
    If Apple made it's 17" Macbook Pro as big as other manufacturers make their 17" notebooks it would have a 20" display.

Apple 15" MBP - 9.8" X 14.35"
    Apple 17" MBP - 10.51 X 15.47"

That's a huge .71" X 1.12" difference.

Thank god I can handle that extra 1.12" width ..... I love my 17" MBP, it fits in my 15" Laptop Case and 15" Backpack along with my camera gear.

9. aaron580 macrumors member

All up to you. I have had my 17" since 2008 and I LOVE having a huge screen. I wanted a new 17" but opted for a 15" high rez instead just because I got a deal on it. All up to personal preference. Try them both and see which one you like better.

10. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

You know what sorry,
    It is big for us "Macbook air only users" (only machine) the 17" seems huge! But if you like it you should get it! I would check it first at a store though. Each to his own.
    OP asked what I would do... I would get the 15"
    Also I would not let the fact that one is a refurb be a deciding factor- search almost everyone is amazed at there quality/newness

11. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Personal choice, I went wit the 15 because I needed something that was powerful yet portable. I have trouble fitting my 15" on some of the desks in lecture halls so the 17" would have been to big for me. I feel that the 15" is the sweet spot, but its all up to you.

12. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i bought the high end 15" instead an 17" .. i love it :)

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

which is a significant difference. i want a portable computer

not a ortable DESKTOP

14. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Yeah, exactly. A 17" laptop is basically a desktop replacement. Some people swear by their 17" MacBook Pros, but I think it's more of a prestige thing than a practical one. Having the most expensive thing is important to some people. As someone with a 15" MBP, I don't think I could go with either a 13" or a 17". The 15" has power while still being very portable. You give up one or the other when you go the other way.

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Thank you- I couldn't find those specs

Umm... haha. An inch difference isn't much at all, when you're talking about things so relatively big. People mistake my 17" for a 15" all the time, and truthfully, it's the same size as my HP 16" was, and thinner too!

I swear by mine just for the real estate when doing digital drawings, and other things that require me to have a big screen in a classroom type setting.

16. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Here is a photo of my macs together, the only time you notice the size differnec is when they are all together otherwise I am fine with all off my mac sizes. I travel 6 months of the year by plane, car, buses trained etc and have no problem caring my 17" it is my favoured travelling companion. The 17" is still smaller lighter and thinner then some windows machines. The HD screen is gorgeous and it is fast.

Attached Files:

17. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Why would you think it is a cost based prestige thing?

Along your logic I could say " people who cannot afford a 17" will tell you the 15" is more portable "

I'd rather edit images and show clients portfolios on a 17" than on a 15".

Prior to owning a 17" I carried 15" Powerbooks and Macbook Pro's.

I have made no sacrifice in portability whatsoever.

I carry my 17" MBP in the same laptop case I carried my 15" in, and it also fits in the same camera/notebook backpack as my 15". So to that end the 17" is just as portable as the 15".

I can tell you from a practical stance .... if you edit photographs or video on a laptop for extended periods of time, the bigger screen is the way to go.

If I was to buy laptop as a desktop replacement it would have to have a 27" display.

BOTTOM LINE:

The OP should make a NEEDS based decision. He/She has to define their computer NEEDS and buy the best unit to satisfy those needs he he/she can afford.

18. Philthy84 macrumors member

The 17in MBP is really not too bad but I do own a Alienware M17x as my desktop replacement in my room. Now that 17in notebook is a huge black beast LOL. That's why I just bought a 15" MacBook Pro to still have some good power but more portable for my needs at work, school, and travel. I would have gotten a MacBook Pro 13" but I didn't think it would provide me the graphic output I would want for Diablo 3 when it is released.

19. randomrazr macrumors 65816

why do u have all these? lol

20. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I like the flexibility also it makes it easier when I order BTO machines as they on the most part all have a different refresh cycle. I upgrade every 6months to a year. I dislike sitting in front of the iMac, also I can work form my lap whilst engaging with family.

21. hotgrease macrumors regular

Yeah, I hate when people rob me of two inches...

I just don't like how on some 17" MBPs, the display wobbles a bit when I type on it. I assume it's a product of the size of the display. For that reason I would get the 15"

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Often when the question arises of 15" vs 17" many claim the 17" is way too big. I seriously doubt the naysayers have ever owned a 17".

There's a significant difference between playing with one in an Apple store vs owning one. I have both the 15" & 17" models. My personal preference is the 17" and I carry it quite frequently. The size difference is quite small, and if we take into consideration that the 17" display offers much more viewing area than the 15, it's very impressive. Especially for multitasking with several windows open.

It's all up to personal preference, just don't be put off by all the "experts" that say a 17" is too big.

23. steveca macrumors 6502

the 17" is bigger, that is a fact... but it is not so big that you can not take it away with you as long as your case permits...

I would personally get the 15" for the antiglare display. I prefer that WAY WAY more than the size. But if you really dont care about the antiglare than get the 17 incher

24. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The 17" is not that bad to carry around, I carried a 17" Multibody MacBook Pro for a whole year, but now I am on a 13" 2011 MBP and loving the portability. Would I go 17" again? Probably not? Was it nice having all that screen real estate with me on the go? Of course it was.

What are your needs? If you need portability that still packs a punch, go for the 15"...if you are looking to have this be your only computer, and do not want to keep an external monitor at home, go for the 17"

That was one of the features I loved about having my 17", that was the only thing I needed to keep on my desk at home, no external monitors needed.

Remember that all of the MacBooks are still smaller than any Windows machines so far, and far far lighter, so you can't go wrong with any of those that you choose.

25. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Please don't "guess" and post erroneous info.

The 17" _does_ come in Anti-Glare. My 17" 2011 IS Anti-Glare.