15" MacBook Pro Retina Ghosting to Yellowish Screen!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doftin, Apr 23, 2013.

1. doftin macrumors newbie

Hi Guys.
    I have a Retina Macbook Pro 15' (Mid 2012) version which i bought on August 1st 2012. I have used my computer for couple months without any issue till ghosting and white spotting problems were accured. Finally, i visited Apple Store and they replaced my screen without any question. I had a LG one and they swapped it with Samsung version. In our conversation with Apple genius, i mentioned that i have read lots of artictles with replaced screens like yellowish tint and other stuff and he replied do not worry about it. So today i got my repaired computer and boom, my retina display is gone and yellowish bothering screen came! I am professional graphic designer with master dagree and colors is part of my life. I have 27' Imac and 2011 13' Macbook air also. The only reason i bought this retina display because of better colors and resolution! I paid almots 3.000$ for faulty computer and when they fixed it, it became more useless for me! I also attached the picture of screens. So what must i do right now? What are my options?

Thank you for your comments and help!

[​IMG]

2. Bear macrumors G3

Your only real option is to go to Apple and complain (politely) about the screen and ask for the MBP to be repaired.

3. Exana macrumors regular

Can you run open Terminal and copy-paste :
    ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

It's damn yellowish ! :eek:

4. Pianoblack3 macrumors regular

Sometimes it takes a little bit of escalation to get the point across ;) Say you want the manager, and you're not happy with the fact you've invested this amount of money on a 'premium' product which, much to your understanding, has not met the expectations of the customer and you now have a faulty product. Not acceptable from Apple, make sure you express your opinion, always. Obviously not at the wrong people though, as the Apple Genius' can't do much more than direct you to a higher level member of staff.

5. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

So they took away your retina display for a standard display in your retina MBP? Isn't that illegal?

6. Bear macrumors G3

Where did you read that? And yes there would probably be some sort of legal issue if that was what they did. But it isn't.

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Kind of unclear.

8. pedrofan macrumors 6502

9. doftin thread starter macrumors newbie

They replaced it with retina display again but my screen is became yellowish. I tried to calibrate it but it doesn't make any changes.

10. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well I would take it back to Apple and be polite and ask them to replace with a retina screen. By the way, I am a graphic designer as well with a high school education....

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

But you have no dagree ;)

@OP

Just go back to the Apple store, explain that you had the screen repaired and that the new screen is faulty. You can add that it is now very different from your other Apple screens and you are unable to work on it.

Don't be a "smart ass", don't try to educate them about all the yellowing problems with Samsung screens etc.

PS: One should note that all three screens on the picture you posted have very different white levels. The one in the back seems slightly red, the left front is more blue-ish and the one on the right of course looks a bit too yellow. For me it's hard to say which one is closest to natural colors.

12. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

That screen is waaaaaaay to yellow to be normal. You have a legitimate gripe, get it switched out ASAP.

13. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

What is the recommended way of doing the calibration on a Samsung rMBP screen?

14. ozbilge10 macrumors member

ozbilge10

I have the same issue. but don't worry, all samsung screens are yellowish, not just on rMBP, on every samsung product. LG screen is brighter than samsung screen, but it has ghosting. there is nothing to do :(

15. pedrofan macrumors 6502

There is a thing that people should know about exchanging the display, and it is that you are not changing the logic board and the Hard Drive.

This means that the color scheme remains calibrated for the LG screen, not for the Samsung. This may be the reason why you are getting strange calibrations after exchanging the display. Your color scheme is not upgraded.

So, the right way to calibrate the display should be buying an expensive display calibrator tool (hardware) or you can just follow the Calibration tool that comes integrated in OSX.

Here you have a tutorial, but you can find a lot in google:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1151706/calibrateyourmonitor.html

I have mine swapped, and it looks gorgeous after calibration.

16. fskywalker, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Good point! Can you share your calibration settings? I notice it will give you at the end a summary of them (I went through the menus without changing anything)

Thanks

17. doftin thread starter macrumors newbie

Today I visited Apple store and they got my computer to change screen again. I told them I will not get my computer back till it is fixed and genius told me that they can't guarantee it. We will see what will happen next. I will update you. Thank you for all comments and suggestions.

18. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Not true at all! My Samsung screen is milky white, and just as bright as LG! And, it's from the July 2012 build batch :D

19. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

You said in your first post

"So today i got my repaired computer and boom, my retina display is gone and yellowish bothering screen"

So they removed a retina display in your retina macbook pro and gave you a standard display? Are you sure that is what they did, because that is very illegal. I doubt they would do that.

20. Bear macrumors G3

Wasn't my post that you are quoting. And I guess because I was reading what appeared to be bad English in the OP, I automatically read "is gone and yellowish" as "has gone yellow". Maybe I shouldn't have interpreted that as I did, but the OP later confirmed that it is still Retina.

21. doftin thread starter macrumors newbie

It might be my poor English sorry guys. They always replaced screen with retina display. Today, I visited Applestore again and they changed my retina screen again however the new replacement still has yellowish tint. We compared my computer with their floor models and they took my computer back. I think they will send it back to factory. I don't know what will happen next?

22. pedrofan, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013

pedrofan macrumors 6502

Since I bought my retina Macbook pro back in January I've gotten a lot of troubles with it. Two broken logic boards, two LG screens with image retention, GPU throttling issues.. etc, etc, etc..

But finally after a lot of time spent in the technical service, I have a Samsung screen and a good logic board... but wait a minute, it looks so yellowish!!

I think that the problem is that when they exchanged the LG screen for the Samsung screen, OSX remained calibrated for the original LG screen as they didn't change the hard drive.

I really don't want to go to a Genius bar again in my life, so I tried to make the trick with OSX's integrated Image Calibration tool.

Just go to  / System Preferences / Displays / Color / Calibrate / Click Expert Mode and continue / Go through all steps / Set gamma 2,2 / And at the end just set the white point to a level that a white safari's background looks white.

My white point is set to 8000 ºK, and now it looks just OK. Which is yours?

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the boot screen will never been calibrated. As long as the colors are fine afterwards you should be fine.

Anyways if after your boot in and your calibrated profile still looks bad, something's wrong with your calibrator. I've calibrated dozens of displays and printers, never had an issue.

24. ozbilge10 macrumors member

ozbilge10

:eek: I wish i had your screen:mad:

25. pedrofan macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

At 6500ºk it is not neutral, it is yellow