15" MBP 2016 with model A030 display -- a bit too yellow?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertfrancis70, Dec 16, 2016.

1. robertfrancis70 macrumors newbie

I've got the 2016 15" with the model A030 display and I like everything about the computer except from the moment I first used it, the screen seemed a bit too yellowish to me. I took it to a local mac dealer and compared it side by side with another 15" which seemed noticeably cooler and bluer in its tint. I didn't check to see what model the display on that one was, unfortunately. (And I've since seen other 2016's, both 15 and 13's, that don't have this yellowish quality to them...) I don't think mine is defective, though; and as it happens, when we cranked up the brightness on the two devices side by side, I was happy to see that mine was a tad brighter...

I've tried calibrating my display and have come up with a setting that dials down the yellow tint, but I'm wondering if anyone has a calibration method -- aside from the "Expert Mode" in OS X's 'Display Calibrator Assistant' -- that would give me more control over particular colors.

I'm still seeing a bit too much red and I'd like to tweak the calibration color by color... Or use a profile someone else has created.

Thanks!

2. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

I'm currently discussing 2016 MBP display issues here, some of it may be of interest. I'd highly recommend you invest in a colorimeter, though, if you really want to make the best of the display. The free DisplayCAL software alongside the free ArgyllCMS CLI utils can help keep costs down - some colorimeter packages vary in price only because of the bundled software - and are well respected in their field.

EDIT: if it turns out my display model is comparable, I'll happily share a profile optimised for HD video playback, if that helps, but you'd need to calibrate your display's brightness to match, and the gamma would be ambient light-dependent.