Noticeable ghosting on 15'' MBP 2016 display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CliftonHighgrov, Dec 20, 2016.

1. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

I'm noticing ghosting to a distracting extent, especially when watching HD films. I've tried 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 resolutions, and the effect is the same. Anyone else experiencing this?

It's certainly come to my attention more compared to my non-Retina 2011 15'' MBP. With that device, ghosting is a complete non-issue for me. Is this just to be expected when using a Retina display?

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I would have thought the user experience should be better not worse

So unless someone can advise trying something in the settings I would say NO its not normal.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The display technology has changed in the last model. Ghosting can be a consequence. As a side note, my early-2013 MBP 15" had a LG display which suffered from ghosting, then I asked AASP to replace the screen, which was promptly exchanged to a Samsung display. However, the Samsung display suffered from yellowing, and the two following exchanges suffered equally from other patterns of yellowing.

Retina displays where never perfect... however, sometimes you have the option to choose between better color accuracy (although with ghosting) or no ghosting (although suffering from a yellowish pattern).

4. Rafterman macrumors 68000

My late 2013 had the LG screen and when I got it, I was all paranoid about it because of all the talk in forums like these about the "good" Samsungs and the "bad" LG's. But, two years later, not a single ghost or other flaw in the LG screen.

5. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

I did a search and came up with what you seem to be talking about. The people here seem to be describing a slightly warmer white point on the Samsungs, compared to the LGs. Is that what you're referring to?

If it is, I'd probably largely negate it without greatly impacting the gamut when I profiled the display (unless the native white point is <D65, which I doubt), so I'd happily go with the Samsung to avoid the ghosting.

EDIT: my current display gets less than 100% P3 gamut (I think 99.3%) after creating a decent profile involving 2500+ patches and D65 white point. I'd like to improve on that, tbh.

6. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

So, the device is being replaced. ETA for replacement, 13th–20th January, though expediting is a possibility.

Before I packed it up, I took a photo of another display issue. This has happened on every boot since I scaled the display to 1920x1200:
    IMG_0101.JPG
    What you're seeing is the display having gone black during boot, all except the progress bar, the accompanying text and a small halo of the desktop picture around it (the content of the text is another issue, one that existed before this issue presented itself).

Fingers crossed for device number 2…

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

It wasn't just a calibration issue. My Samsung screens suffered from uneven yellowing. Ok, only people with OCD like me would constantly note that, but I could show it to the AASP technician and he agreed with me. After two display replacements, I gave up keep trying.

8. fs454 macrumors 65816

All three Retina Display MBPs I've owned have had flawless displays. Late 2013 15", and two 2016 tb 15"s, one as a replacement for non-video related issue.

I do video editing and color work (though not often on the MBP itself unless on the road), and a lot of gaming on 2016 now with Battlefield and Overwatch - and I've always thought the displays were incredible, and I don't have an issue with ghosting. I think the 2016 has the best display I've seen on anything this far - it sucks that there are some with issues.

9. jk76 macrumors member

I ordered 2012 rMBP right away when it was available. In couple of weeks, it developed extreme ghosting, to the point images could be seen minutes afterwards. Apple promptly offered a replacement. After replacement, things have been fine (or at least fine enough) for me. Only problem with replacement was that they actually ordered five(!) replacement display assemblies (if I recall right) before they got one that was good. Most of failed ones had trouble with webcam, and one had a broken hinge on arrival. Go figure.

10. PineAppleMac macrumors member

PineAppleMac

I noticed the same thing, but is it really a hardware problem? It only occurs while in 1920x1200 resolution, so seems to me like a software bug.