15" MBP - Finally pulled the trigger

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macdaddy4, Jun 26, 2011.

1. macdaddy4 macrumors newbie

After waiting months to see what the HP Envy 14 Sandybridge refresh would bring... complete disappointment (poor graphics options, no HD screen, etc.), I decided to spend the cash and pulled the trigger on a new MBP 15".

I went with the high-end with quad 2.2s in order to get the 6750M GPU, plus student savings jump to $200 off on this model. I considered buying from Amazon or MacMall to avoid taxes, but it is impossible to get a hi-res screen build from Amazon and MacMall completely overcharges for your first upgrade.

The 128GB SSD upgrade was only $90 (10% off for students), but I considered keeping the 7200-rpm 500GB drive and doing an after-market switch to the optical bay and putting in a Vertex 3 SSD, but for only $90, I rather avoid that headache and plug in my 320gb western digital passport whenever I need extra space.

Overall, I paid $2350 after-taxes and got a free $100 gift card & free upgrade to Lion. It will be a beast of a machine (Quad 2.2s, 6750 GPU, Hi-Res screen, 128 GB SSD).

One question I have is since the Apple RAM comes with 2x2GB, when upgrading with third party, are people keeping one of the 2GB and putting in a 4GB for a total of 6gb? or replacing both with 4GBs?

Whats the most cost-effective way to upgrade the RAM and how can I resell the RAM that comes with the laptop?

Thanks!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would just buy an 8gb kit and upgrade if 4gb isn't enough for you. don't resell your apple stock ram, it may be necessary to repair your machine even if something else goes wrong. apple use wants the original components in the machine if you show up with a problem.

3. da3dl3us macrumors member

If I may ask, how did you convince yourself to pull the trigger on that? I'm considering paying 2k for a mac, but then my inner self kicks in saying, 2k for a laptop? Are you sure? I hate my conscience. :confused:

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This is not true.
    However, if the RAM is the problem of other hardware issues, they have the right to deny you service. It's up to you if you want to keep it or not. I'm thinking the same ...

4GB RAM sitting in my closet could be used elsewhere.

5. Kristan macrumors newbie

Same spec as mine, except I went for the 256GB SSD... And I didn't really need to tbh - everything is loaded on the MBP (and boy, does it fly) and I've still got 160GB left free.

I got the 4GB and ordered an 8GB kit from Crucial. Literally 5 min job to open up the MBP, replace the RAM and you're done, and yes, I've now got 2x2GB sticks in my drawer... along with all sorts of other memory sticks from stuff I've upgraded. Must have a clear out one day :)

They're awesome machines - best laptop I've ever owned and so damn fast. I now hate my work HP laptop.

6. jbjones85 macrumors member

GO with the 8gm upgrade from a 3rd party. I got two 4gb sticks for $75 shipped on newegg ( I think) for mine and the instalation takes about 10 minutes (assuming you don't drop a screw on the floor and spend 30 minutes looking for it).