15" MBP: Hi-Res v. Normal Res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jzj687, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jzj687 macrumors regular

Hi!

Quick question

If I am simply using my MBP for all the normal stuff + watching .avi/.mkv files (i.e. various normal and 720p/1080p video files), will I see a big enough difference in the quality of the picture to warrant choosing the Hi-Res screen over the normal res screen? Is it worth it?

2. bill-p macrumors 68000

720p, no.
    1080p, yes. Definitely yes.

For the normal stuffs, the normal res has bigger letters and bigger elements. But if you have good eyesight, definitely shoot for the higher res as it shows more on screen, and you can zoom in where applicable.

Myself, I personally can't go higher than 1440 x 900 as texts become miniscule and it's harder for me to read on-screen elements.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

With the Hi res screen you gain a lot more of usability. But if you don't have particular needs (photo/movie editing for example), the stock resolution will do just fine.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The high res screen on my 17" was a must for precision stuff, but as posted, if you don't do intensive video or photographic work then the stock screen is fine.

If you are going into the realms of 1080dpi, then you will certainly notice the difference.

See if you can organise a side by side comparison in the right lighting conditions....That should help you decide.

5. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!
    Think the Apple store will let me run a 1080p file off a USB drive on their laptops in store so I can compare? lol

6. bill-p macrumors 68000

Alternatively, you can just go to Youtube on those computers.

If you wish to do a side-by-side comparison, I believe you should talk directly to a rep and ask for assistance specifically even if you already know how to do it.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sure they will...Pretty helpful folks here in the UK anyway.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always highly subjective. No one can tell you if it's worth it to you or not. It's worth it to me but that is completely irrelevant unless you're offering to buy me one.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, that will be fine. It helps if you go when it's not so busy.

10. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

The 15" HR option gives you a noticeable amount of additional working space in the OS and apps. It also reduces the size of screen elements/icons/widgets, so I've heard some people say they prefer the lower resolution. On a small display like 15", I don't think you'll notice much difference in the video quality, both displays are still scaling HD video (since it's 1920x1080).

I was shopping MBP 15s, and the HR was never an option for me (unlike AG or glossy, it was a must (the AG vs. glossy is a whole different conversation :) )

I wound up with HR + AG. I like as much screen real estate as possible (though it will spend 90% of its time on an external monitor).

You might want to look into an Air too, if you're just using the machine for general computing chores, it has great resolution (same as the standard 15 but in 13" of display size), it's very light, super portable. Just a thought.

Enjoy, shopping is half the fun :)

11. slapple macrumors 6502

Actually the normal resolution will handle 720p. 720p is 1280x720, which will fit inside the normal resolution of 1440x900.

I have good eyesight (just got new glasses a few months ago), but text on the hi-res looks pretty small to me. Unfortunately not all programs support zooming. Even those that support zooming don't zoom everything - menu bars still look tiny, etc.

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The hi res screen is nice, but there seems to be a misconception that the Standard screen is awful. I would have gotten the hi res screen but I was unable to change my order. With that being said, the standard screen is still fantastic for everything I do. I edit video quite often and I haven't really found myself scraping for more screen real estate.

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

At first, I was beginning to regret going for a store bought MBP that wasn't BTO since I wanted a HR screen. But when I had a mishap with my 15" and I exchanged it, I went for the 17" model that has a HR standard, the difference was noticeable. It's really great.

14. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

+1 for HighRes...it rocks!

I just bought a 2010 with a highres screen and love it. I don't think I can go back to a regular screen again.

Some people have complained about the gray border around the screen but it doesn't bother me at all. I've had a MBP for years and the older models used to have the border...no big deal.

Plus, the screen is soooo pretty!

15. pscraig macrumors member

Get the Hi-res screen, it's beautiful. The standard screen is fine but when you see the hi-res you will understand. Get the glossy version unless you need antiglare for a reason. I find the glossy version produces deeper colors and has no silver bezel-it's dark glass just like the standard screen.

You gain quite a bit of useful work space on the desktop.

16. mankymanning macrumors regular

Well when I got my original MBP over 3 years ago there was no high res option and after a year I sold it and went for the 17" precisely because I was so fed up with the crappy 1440x900 resolution. It is just too low these days IMO, you can't get enough on screen at once.

Definitely go for the hi res on the 15". As an aside I now find the 1920x1200 on the 17" a little too small so that high res 15" is what I have now and appears to be the only resolution I am comfortable with.

Oh and I went for AG when available in all cases but I use it a lot for work, in offices, on a train etc where the lighting isn't always under my control, I used to convince myself I would get fed up with reflections. However I have now added a 27" iMac to my collection and love the glossy screen on that...guess I am saying it isn't that important...

17. No Regrets macrumors regular

18. slapple macrumors 6502

The pixel pitch of the 17" is 0.1907, which is smaller than the pixel pitch of the hi-res 15", which is 0.1974. That means things on the 17" will look a little smaller. But the difference between the 17" and hi-res 15" is not as drastic as the difference between the hi-res 15" and normal-res 15" (pixel pitch of 0.2303).

19. No Regrets macrumors regular

Thank you Slapple for your excellent and consise reply! This helps me put it all into a perspective that I can better understand. I think for "my eyes" I'll be better off with the normal resolution of the 15".

20. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

21. slapple macrumors 6502

I have the hi-res 15" and find the text to be pretty small. So in terms of text size, the normal-res 15" would definitely be better. But then I've seen some people say that the glossy normal-res screen causes eye-strain due to the reflections. So maybe it won't be better and you'd still get eye strain? I don't know.

22. glhiii macrumors regular

Returned the HR

I wanted the AG, so got the HR. Found the text was too small (size of menus can't be changed on Macs) and the screen gave me headaches, so I returned it for the glossy, lower resolution. The screen now is fine -- but I prefer my old Santa Rosa MBP with a lower resolution screen and AG screen (I have the newer MPB hooked up to an external monitor and use it mostly as a desktop). With 6 gb of ram and a 500 gb xt drive, the Santa Rosa is extremely fast -- and it has the nicer (for me) older keyboard. Too bad the newer MBP's don't come with lower res AG screens.

23. chillfrilla macrumors member

i thought that too but after a few days u get use to it so its all good now

24. bill-p macrumors 68000

What I meant was no difference with 720p (since it's less than the max resolution of either screen), but definitely noticeable difference with 1080p.

720p would be different depending on whether the app you run has image enhancement. Most don't, because it's very costly to do so on HD videos.

Actually, I think good eyesight means... no glasses at all. I don't wear glasses, but the hi-res is indeed too small. I would take bigger texts and menus any day because my coding work requires multiple hours of staring at texts.

It's weird, but I can't even connect to an external monitor that has too high a resolution. 1920 x 1200 at around 24" is the most I can tolerate. 27" is ideal to me.

25. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Reflections on the glossy version are really intense. Not really sure what apple was thinking.