15" OLED Panel from LG Headed for Apple Notebook This Summer?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 22, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

SmartHouse reports that LG is preparing to release a 15" display panel based on OLED technology, with the first appearance of the panel to be in a "brand new Apple notebook" in June.
    Notably, Apple and LG recently signed a five-year agreement for display panels, signifying a strengthened relationship between the two companies.

SmartHouse has previously been a source for Apple rumors regarding both OLED display panels and tablet Macs, claims which have either not yet panned out or been met with some skepticism due to their sweeping nature.

Article Link: 15" OLED Panel from LG Headed for Apple Notebook This Summer?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

OLED? Duh, it's going to be something "completely new" -- ie. tablet or something we haven't even dreamed of! :)

3. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

I'm still crossing my fingers for a flexible display. With OLED, that makes this possibility much more likely. Check out this quick guide to OLED.

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

It's about time Apple got off its collective butt and shoved something other than a crappy TN panel in their laptops.

5. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

A crystal clear Mac. That would be awesome. Great looks, Great sceen! What else?

7. Pugpuppydude macrumors regular

:) This would be one freakin awesome computer! I'm sure the price will reserve it for the pros, but still, OLED is finally coming! Maybe

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

15"? Can't be a tablet then, can it?

BTO option on the Macbook Pro? Hopefully at least 1650 x 1050.

9. gcliv macrumors member

AMEN!!!!!!!

10. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

The awesome thing about OLED Panels is that it makes both of these concepts possible:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

While I like that Apple is embracing new technology and coming out with great new products. The last thing I want to hear right now is their prices going up even more.

12. D A macrumors regular

13. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Make a 13 and the air will be very very light/small!

14. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Price

I can envision it however the cost will still be a concern. Currently they are out of this world (price).

15. thisrocks macrumors regular

thisrocks

couldn't put it any better.

16. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

If the form factor that these OLED displays would be implemented into stays the same, then they might just be offered as a high-end option, much like a SSD.

But because of that price jump I see it being more beneficial to Apple to include these in a completely new form factor. Although it would be desirable to have these in a notebook my guess would be that many consumers would opt-out of this option. If you included this in a new form factor, however, I could see the sales being higher. New technology is always costly. A lot of people are willing to pay a premium just to get their hands on it. If you can't afford or are unwilling to pay a premium, you'll just have to wait for the second version.

17. dogcowx macrumors member

Engineering "cool" over "long life"?

I know Toshiba and Panasonic have managed to allegedly extend the life of OLED displays beyond traditional LCD, but I have not heard of similar achievements from LG. Let's hope there's some patent-licensing going on here.

I would prefer to not pay a premium for an cool OLED display used in a new and exiting way only to find that it has a substandard life expectancy compared to the older tech.

18. kolax macrumors G3

19. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Yep- that's all apple products need- a price hike.

OLED + SSD + Nahelem = about three years salary.

20. ipoppy macrumors 6502

I see that much more implemented into June/July iPhones rather than any tablets or laptops.

21. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

I understand everyone's reluctance about price hikes in regards to new technology. I'm in the same boat and I probably wouldn't be able to dish out whatever the cost of an Apple OLED device would be, either. But would you really rather have Apple stifle its innovation because you can't afford it?

22. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

As long as there are options for people who don't want OLED and pay the premium then that's fine.

23. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Do OLED screens flicker? I think they do because in a video I saw of the optimus maximus the keys were filckering.

24. adamgalas macrumors newbie

brighter screen for the touch?

Here's hoping the touch will soon get an OLED screen. The current brightness is woefully underpowered in any kind of sunlight.

25. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

They can innovate all they want... as long as they don't make or release any product more expensive than the white plastic old school macbook I can actually afford to buy at the moment. Which means, it really makes me mad that they sell those goldurned Mac Pro whachathingies with all their silly technology - I don't see the point of it. Now that I think about it, I never did see the point of anything Apple ever did...

:D:D:D ;)