15" or 17" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rithem, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

My macbook just broke from spilling water on it on the plane ride to Korea so I'm in the market for a new macbook. I'm just curious if I should get the 15 or 17 inch though. I want it as a desktop replacement since I gave my desktop to my dad but I'm not sure if I want the 17 inch because it might be too big to carry around at college.

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If you want the extra viewing area, go for the 17" if you have the cash available. However if you are looking to be always carrying it around with you, then go for a mid range 15", or possibly even the high end 13".

It mainly depends whether you're wanting it for portability or as a true desktop replacement which will be quite hefty.

Cheers,

Joel

3. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I think the 15" will be just fine...maybe later on you get the display and done!!!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. Memphis177 macrumors newbie

I have used a 17" HP Laptop and am now using a 15" MBP. 17" was a bit too big for me (also used for college) 15 is ideal imo.

6. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I have the 17 inch UMBP Jan/09 model, and it is not too heavy to carry around. With a bigger case, I regularly carry an Ipod touch, camera, ereader and assorted chargers. Your mieleage may vary.

Tom

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I use to have a fat 17in Dell Laptop for traveling if that helps lol. I think the 17in Macbook Pro would be fine because of the large screen and large resolution.

8. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

With the uMBP's I find that a hard decision to make. With college though I would go with the 15".

9. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I went from a 2.2 SR 15'' MBP to an AG 17'' UMBP. To be honest most of the time when I look at it I feel that it is not the tank that people make it out to be. There are many 15'' PC laptops that have a similar weight to the 17 MBP too. The screen really is a true step up from the 15''.

However I am considering going from messenger bag to backpack. Not really because the 17'' is all that heavier, its just that my shoulder got sore carrying around the 15'' in its Moshi Codex case (great protective case, but a little heavy due to the density of the foam).

I actually like the added with as it makes the laptop easier for me to use in my lap (and it is TONS cooler than the SR MBPs. I'm sure the 15'' UMBP's are cooler too, but also keep in mind the 17'' has more space to disperse the heat. My fans are at 2,000rpm pretty much all of the time. and they are silent (yeh Mag-Levs))

10. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

Thanks for the quick responses. I have a backpack with a laptop holder inside that I'll just carry around it in. I'll just go see if the 17" fits in my backpack first and if it does I'll probably end up getting that. I'm just a big fan of large screens/resolutions.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you are going to be carrying around at college, get the 15 and a desktop monitor. Good combinations, screen real estate and portable when you need it.

12. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

I would do that except I don't have enough money for a desktop monitor.

13. nigameash macrumors 6502

get the 2.8ghz 15" ;) it ll give you the extra power + a decent screen size and you ll be able to carry it around ;)

14. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I think a lot of people understate the difference between the 15'' and the 17'' screens. Granted, the extra res isn't as necessary if you aren't doing anything with it (I'm an Arc major, so it is very nice), but it is a big step up.

Also outside of the apple store, away from the 13 and 15 inch MBP's the 17'' looks much more reasonable (and anti-glare goodness)

15. Trexznl macrumors member

The price difference of the highest specced 15" and the 17" would leave you with a plentiful amount of cash to purchase an external monitor. :rolleyes:

16. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

Yeah that anti-glare is mighty tempting for me.

Oh... interesting.... I'd rather buy a new skateboard with that money then haha. I dunno. I using my student discount anyways so that's an extra 100$ off I believe.

I'll see what I want when I get back to the states in a week or two. I'm in Korea right now, where there isn't much of an Apple presence so I can't see if the 17" will even fit in my backpack.

17. Trexznl macrumors member

Well, might you decide to go for the 15", I'd get the 2.66GHz version if I were you. There are lots of people saying that the difference between the 256MB and the 512MB 9600M GT is negligible, also I don't believe the 0.14 GHz difference will be relevant.

That way you would save a whopping $500, which should yield you with enough cash to purchase a skateboard and an external monitor. :D

18. Rithem thread starter macrumors 6502

Rithem

I'd understand the .14 GHz would be negligible but 256 mbs of Vram isn't a difference? I don't understand that part mostly.

edit: I just read that the new updated macbooks are probably coming out at the end of the year.... I want to wait but I'm not sure how productive I'll be in my classes with a broken e and backspace key :(

ARG!

19. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Macbooks Pros were just updated and will not be updated again until spring next year. So the best time to buy a Macbook Pro is now. As to the Macbooks, Apple may update them or replace them with the rumored iTablet.

20. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I am prob going to go from 15 to 17 when I start my post-grad in Sept, from everyone I have spoken to with an ACTUAL 17 they all seem to have little or no regrets

21. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I had the same issue but with the 13 or 15 inch MBP. I think you should reconsider your choice of either the 13 or 15. I have the 13 inch and its fine in terms of size for me for portability and 3D work. IMO i would go into the store to see which one you'd like the most, most of the reviews seem to suggest the 13 inch is the best because in terms of price the 15 inch is a little bit too expensive.

22. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I actually got the 13 inch and regretted it at first (i no longer do now) and i always laugh to myself when thinking about the guy at KRCS (apple leeds store) suggesting i bought an apple monitor even though i specifically stated i was using the laptop only at University. I think he actually thought i should spend £635 on a monitor....and presumably carry it around or something. Anyway, i'd go for the 15 inch

23. theJamie macrumors member

Go with the 17!!!

I am going to college in the fall and decided to go with the 17". I have always had 15" laptops but now with this 17" the weight difference isn't noticeable and I love the screen size.

I will be majoring in music and journalism so I preferred the higher standard HDD and the resolution for photos and layouts. Go with the matte/ antiglare screen IMO because the quality is spectacular and you don't have to worth about glare.

Before I bought my uMBP various people told me to go with just a 13" or a fully loaded 15" because that would be enough. But I am glad I didn't listen to any of them.

Go with your gut feeling. You won't be sorry. BTW a lot of 15"-16" cases will fit the 17" so don't worry about protection.

24. pprior macrumors 65816

I recently got the 17" mbp and it's nice, but if I were a college student and was lugging it around, I'd go for the 15" personally unless you really need the extra resolution. A nice external monitor at your own desk and you've got the best of both worlds.

25. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i think you should either go 13" or 17"

i would say 17", i have a 17" and it's not too big to carry.
    especially comparing it to the 15", i'd rather have the extra room and screen size than the comfort of carrying 2" less.

the 13" is cool because it is so small, and it's really powerful.
    but if it's a desktop replacement or something, go 17"
    if you're just getting it to carry around as a storage unit and stuff like that then get the 13"

i know you didn't ask about the 13" but still.