Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I’m guessing none of you have any experience with titanium, because if you did you’d realize that it scuffs and scratches if you breathe on it.

Get ready for Scratchgate.
I have a Ti bike and of course the Ultra — no scratches at all. IMHO stainless steel is more prone to scratches. Anyway I‘m ok if it scratches.

Appltsla

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
Going naked. Have amex platinum for insurance, and scratches are fine as I normally just trade it in. They don't care about scratches for trade in.

Reactions: Hele

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Better drop test

14 Pro out performs, but the 15 Pro frame seems to handle short drops with less cosmetic damage. Sort of what I figured…Apple could have made a stronger phone or gotten weight savings, but not both. You have gone from a really strong steel shell, to a thin titanium shell with aluminum support.
Wouldn't it make sense to actually check the buttons still work, the autofocus and image stabilisation still works, the connector still plugs in, the haptics still, umm, hap?

Seems sad, wasteful, to see two phones seriously damaged without getting as much information as you could.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
Been caseless for almost every phone! It’s the only way to go. I use a screen protector though. I also use the Apple MagSafe wallet and it pairs nicely as some protection when I set it down.

Reactions: StuartMoore

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
The Apple clear case is okay, but the buttons are very hard to press.

I ended up dumping the clear case and went with a Mujjo leather case. The buttons on that were much easier to press, but I did not like the feel of the case at all. It irritated my fingers. As such I return that and picked up a TORRAS Slim Fit case https://www.amazon.com/TORRAS-Designed-Ultra-Thin-Lightweight-OriginFit/dp/B0CBJH6V9Y

It’s a semi-soft plastic so it probably won’t offer a lot of protection and it doesn’t have a lot of grip, but it should protect the sides from getting all scratched up and my hands from getting hot and sweating like was happening with a caseless phone.

Reactions: rmcomer

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Do people with applecare+ use the phone for 2 years, then before the applecare coverage runs out, they deliberately smash and destroy the phone to get a new replacement for $100?

• Haha
Reactions: Davidnguyen_89

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
Do people with applecare+ use the phone for 2 years, then before the applecare coverage runs out, they deliberately smash and destroy the phone to get a new replacement for $100?
if they have alot of money whose stopping them? i wouldnt buy applecare. if it breaks or nicks its because by accident or clumsiness. usually its by accident and slip through my hands or so. im pretty careful with my phones.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
if they have alot of money whose stopping them? i wouldnt buy applecare. if it breaks or nicks its because by accident or clumsiness. usually its by accident and slip through my hands or so. im pretty careful with my phones.
I upgraded from an iphone 12 mini which i dropped like a million times. The case is all banged up and the screen has small scratches but no spiderwebs

I'm amazed at the durability of it. it's like an indestrutible tank!

But the thing is, i do drop my phone quite frequently. So thats why i chose to get applecare+ this time with my 15pro.

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
should i get clear case from amazon or apple. which is more expensive. i like the esr or spigen what other brands are good? with magsafe

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I found an amazing case. I always use clear cases and they are soft and the edges are usually thick. The one in the link below is my newest one and it is much better than any I've ever had before. It is rigid and the edges lay FLAT against the phone and you can barely tell that a case is even on the phone. it is amazing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CDR991YF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that if you are looking for a lot of protection, this is not the case for you; however, if you want to get as close to "naked" as possible but want protection from scratches and a little drop protection, this is a good choice.

Last edited:

Spinrite

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Winnipeg
I strip my 15PM naked completely. Silky smooth on my hands and love 😍🥰 the camera bumps on the back, very sexy to me. 😎 My wife curses me everyday now 😳 I’m not allowed to come home now without flowers. This new model update has costed me more money then I wished to spend.

Reactions: Hele

losta

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
NY Metro area
Case always. I don't want my iPhone getting scratched or dented. I've ordered several and returned most. I like to have a few options. I bought the fine woven apple case and am returning that too, seems fragile. The only one I like so far is a torras clear case, though I have a few more coming today.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I tried a bunch of different cases, but kept having issues with them. I finally found one I like.

I like it because the back is clear, but it’s a rubber/silicon case. Also it isn’t MagSafe, but has a really strong magnet so it sticks to MagSafe chargers and stands.

It probably won’t survive a major drop, but I’ve never dropped my phone. The worst I’ve done is knock it off a chair onto the carpet.

jkingrph

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
I just got my Titanium pro max today. I had also gotten a new XXL Bullhide belt holster and a Nomad Horween leather folio case. Before I left the Verizon store the tech put the phone in the case, and commented he had not seen a nicer case. Folio means it has a lined flap that folds over the screen when the phone is not in use. When in the holster with it's flap closed there are 3 layers of leather on the outside protecting the phone. I took my old 11pro out to see about a trade in and the tech helping me said it looked like it had just came out of the factory box, pristine. I have been carrying it daily in a similar setup of holster and case since the 11's came out.

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022
I'd like to have a case but every time I used it on my iPhone (except the silver one) it scratched my frame. Sometimes even within the first day of use.

Dust is not a problem as I never used case longer than a few days (and I clean my phone regularly with microfiber cloth) but I think it's the way you take case out of the phone. It just scratches the PVB coating.

Once I figure out how to wear cases without scratching my phone I will start using them again. Now I am going caseless and I have no problem with scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.