Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McStealth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Hi guys,

when do you think will the 15" Retina MBP be updated (Spec-bump)?
It's about 6 months since the introduction and I'm not sure whether I should wait for a minor update before buying one.

Ideas? Rumors?

Cheers.

I

iFanboy

But won't perform better than a model with a dedicated graphics card right?

I had a top spec rMBP for almost a month before returning it.

I found that MOST of the time (for browsing, word document creation etc...) the integrated Intel 4000 GPU was being used.

If I browsed youtube or went anywhere near a game or other app with more than average graphics the nVidia Kepler dedicated graphics card kicked in.

So Haswell's DOUBLE performance for it's integrated graphics chip is certain to make a difference of some kind.

Hope this helps :)

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
Would you guys buy a new Haswell rMBP at the same price if it only had an integrated GPU?

I am waiting for the Haswell upgrade but it better have a decent dedi-GPU for the money I'm paying.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Would you guys buy a new Haswell rMBP at the same price if it only had an integrated GPU?

I am waiting for the Haswell upgrade but it better have a decent dedi-GPU for the money I'm paying.

I doubt it will be integrated only, in addition, I suspect the price will fall significantly next release.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Take a look at the Air. I rest my case.

Take a look at the Air again. It took 2 years after release for it to get a price drop.

That and the Air was legitimately considered a poor value at the time it was released. The Retina MacBook Pro 15" is not considered a poor value at this time. There is no reason for Apple to drop its price so soon.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008

I found that MOST of the time (for browsing, word document creation etc...) the integrated Intel 4000 GPU was being used.

If I browsed youtube or went anywhere near a game or other app with more than average graphics the nVidia Kepler dedicated graphics card kicked in.

So Haswell's DOUBLE performance for it's integrated graphics chip is certain to make a difference of some kind.

Absolutely - you want to run on the discrete card as much as you can, since it's much more power efficient to do that and leave the discrete card powered down.

That said, the discrete card in this is great for when you need it (i.e. games).

IMO, it's a great machine. You want to know if it's getting replaced really soon, so you'd feel like you really overpaid if a new model came out in a month or two. I can tell you that won't happen - I don't know when the next refresh is coming, but it's a perfectly capable machine that will delight you.

That screen! OMG! I can't stop marvelling at it, and I've had mine for 3 weeks. Fantastically resistant to glare, unbelievably sharp and crisp. If you're doing anything text-based (programming, terminal, writing) you'll never stop boggling at it!

McStealth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Alright, thanks everyone. I thought there might be an update at the start of 2013, but your arguments sound plausible :)

So let's go get one! :D

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Take a look at the Air again. It took 2 years after release for it to get a price drop.

That and the Air was legitimately considered a poor value at the time it was released. The Retina MacBook Pro 15" is not considered a poor value at this time. There is no reason for Apple to drop its price so soon.

It was actually just under a year and a half. Things were very different 4 years ago (pace of updates, manufacturing techniques). I simply don't think it is out of the question

Probably wrong, but I wouldn't say there is no reason especially if Apple stops the cMBP.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Well the current 13" rMBP only has the integrated GPU.

I would expect Apple to released a 15" model that's a bit cheaper than the current starting model with just integrated graphics, much like they did for the base model back in 2009 with the integrated 9400M.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Apple may drop the price of the rMBP in the next refresh, if if chooses to discontinue the cMBP and if Windows laptops are catching up at a significant lower price point.

However, don't expect anything radical in any case. Perhaps a US$ 100 drop on all models. If prices are to drop more than that, it will happen in the long run, subtly and not suddenly.

----------

Why did you return it?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
It was actually just under a year and a half. Things were very different 4 years ago (pace of updates, manufacturing techniques). I simply don't think it is out of the question

Probably wrong, but I wouldn't say there is no reason especially if Apple stops the cMBP.

Well, there is no reason even if Apple were to drop the cMBP.

They don't have to drop the price if there are people willing to pay is what I'm saying.

The 13" rMBP is more likely to receive a price drop when the cMBP is discontinued.

Apple may drop the price of the rMBP in the next refresh, if if chooses to discontinue the cMBP and if Windows laptops are catching up at a significant lower price point.

However, don't expect anything radical in any case. Perhaps a US$ 100 drop on all models. If prices are to drop more than that, it will happen in the long run, subtly and not suddenly.

But which Windows laptop is catching up to the Retina MacBook Pro at a significant lower price point? I don't see anything on the Windows side announced for the next 6 months that has a screen that's even 75% the pixel count of the 15" rMBP. Just as a note, 1920 x 1080 is just 40% of 2880 x 1800.

Even if Apple drops the cMBP, they still have no reason to drop prices on the Retina 15" if people are willing to pay.

I'm sure we had this same discussion about the 13" rMBP... and you know how that one played out.

Apple is not really interested in pleasing everyone. They just want to sell expensive laptops and make a killing.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Well, there is no reason even if Apple were to drop the cMBP.

They don't have to drop the price if there are people willing to pay is what I'm saying.

The 13" rMBP is more likely to receive a price drop when the cMBP is discontinued.

Both are just as likely.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

I think this comment is pretty much spot on. However, I might rephrase it this way:

The cMBP will be discontinued when the rMBP can be price dropped into its price point with Apple's usual margins.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I think this comment is pretty much spot on. However, I might rephrase it this way:

The cMBP will be discontinued when the rMBP can be price dropped into its price point with Apple's usual margins.

I think Apple can discontinue the cMBP just fine even if they can't afford to lower the price point of the rMBP.

It's clear with their current prices that they can price their computers that way not because it costs that much to manufacture, but because people are willing to swallow the high price tags.

I already own a 15" rMBP, so I honestly couldn't care less.

So do I. But I find it extremely unlikely that Apple will drop the price of the 15" rMBP, since:

1) It's generally considered a good value, and a lot of people bought it.

2) Dropping the price of the 15" rMBP even slightly will cannibalize the 13" rMBP, unless Apple significantly drops the price of the 13" rMBP. But if the 13" rMBP drops more than $200, it'll cannibalize MacBook Air. So then Apple will have to drop the price of the MacBook Air as well. And then it's a chain reaction. You're basically asking Apple to restructure their entire pricing tiers.

3) If the unibody MacBooks stick around for a while, then dropping the price of the 15" Retina will also cannibalize them. Same logic as above will apply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.