15" Retina MacBook Pro Actually Got More Expensive...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

As many did, I just assumed the 750M would be a $200 BTO upgrade. Apparently not! Now, you need to spend $2600 for discrete graphics (the 750M). This won't matter to 70% of people since the Iris Pro graphics will be more than enough but you got a better bang-for-your-buck graphics-wise with the last generation. Early benchmarks are speculating the 650M in the last generation is 30-40% faster than Iris Pro graphics.

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Now actually this is a surprise, a performance decrease for discreet graphics and a price rise! I think that Apple is turning away from its Pro users and heading more mainstream which is sad because it was those professionals who helped them to become what they are now...

3. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Yeah and still calling their devices "pro". Its actually embarrassing that I either have to spend $2500 for a dGPU or deal with integrated graphics.

4. iPersian macrumors regular

in denmark the dGPU version will cost me at least 3600 dollars!

What Apple is doing is theft!
    have no idea now. i might consider a dell or samsung :-(

5. sholzer macrumors regular

*shrug* if you NEED a dGPU, you probably also want the upgraded storage and memory. Yea it sucks that the base model option of having the dGPU isnt there anymore, but the high end model is cheaper and way better bang for buck than last generation. With this gen, for 2600 you get 5200 + 750m and 2gb ram, last gen you got HD4000 + 650m with 1GB ram for 2800

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's actually a pretty big difference. I didn't look through every benchmark for the Iris Pro but I chose Bioshock Infinite since that game can run maxed on my 650M at 1080p.

[​IMG]

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed, but your logic will get lost in the mass hysteria.

8. iPersian macrumors regular

the high end model is not cheaper in Europe unfortunately. thats part of the problem in addition to the lack BTO dGPU in the base model.

9. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

If I had to choose though, I would go with the newer model, even if I have to pay more... Its the battery life that is key. I don't know where Apple is going but it better include more Pro things. They haven't concentrated on them in a while and bringing out one Mac Pro isn't going to keep customers loyal. What they need is a thicker (Johnny Ive, don't kill me) MacBook Pro which really pushes the boundaries and comes with dual GPUs and other amazing options which some people need as desktop replacements. If they can pack such amazing technology into a Mac Pro, then they should be able to power it down (only slightly) and stick it in a cMBP shell (maybe without a SuperDrive) and then call that ProBook or something cool... Maybe even offer it in Space Grey (now that, would be amazing!)...

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Exactly. Beat me to it.

11. iPersian macrumors regular

again read my last comment. this is the case only in us in eu it costs 3600 $.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Personally for the higher end model, I wish they had gone for the regular HD 5000 graphics with the discrete GPU. The ones with crappier integrated graphics has faster processor clocks.

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You guys do realize the extra hour of battery life seems to be calculated from Maverick's improvements.

14. famalka macrumors newbie

I wish people would stop saying this. It isn't true. Comparing clock speeds between different generations is pretty much worthless.

15. sholzer macrumors regular

Yes, thank you.

Also the fact that the high end model isn't cheaper isn't that big of a deal. You are also getting PCIe SSD which are much faster than last gen, thunderbolt 2 and 802.11ac, both which may not be a big deal now, but is part of future proofing your equipment.

16. yinz macrumors 6502a

Don't fret, Apple does spec bumps here and there. If enough of you Pro's voice your discontent, they may add the graphics cards to BTO.

They added another option to the entry level iMac last year after a few weeks.

Just saying...

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Sorry, $2,600 to get a discrete GPU is insane. I don't care that you get 16GB of RAM and a faster SSD, I would be happy with a slower SSD and 8GB of RAM if I could get a discrete GPU for around $2,200...

18. sholzer macrumors regular

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

20. soldierblue macrumors 6502

I feel vindicated not waiting and just buying a refurb'd 2012 model several months ago. The discreet GPU was a must for me.

21. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Exactly. A lot of complainers seem to be unable to read a spec sheet or know what it means.

22. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Don't forget the US prices shown are without local sales tax, EU prices are with.
    Still, for the last gen machine you would've paid $3860 (€2800). So more bang for the euro too.

23. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I agree. I'd be fine with a 750M, 256 GB SSD, and 8 GB ram for 2199, like last year's model. I don't really need the extras.

24. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Not if you're smart and get their 2.8GHz 15" rMB in the refurb section, then you'll still be ahead of the game. Super sale for super power!

----------

well regardless - they will make it worth your while to wait till after x-mas rush, they'll bump up all the base specs and you'll save even more cash and have less regret :D

25. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What "Pro user" applications require discreet graphics? Seems more a gamer feature.