15" Retina MacBook Pro dropped, display broken...Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baseballboy23ak, Dec 1, 2012.

1. baseballboy23ak macrumors member

hey all,

A friend of mine wanted to know what to do if he dropped his computer and his screen is now black from the apple logo at the top left on. I attached a picture below. How much will it cost to replace the assembly/screen? Is there anyone with experience in this that can help me? Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

3. baseballboy23ak thread starter macrumors member

alright thanks...any idea how much apple would do it for?

4. zackkmac, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Probably a lot more due to the part being ordered directly through them and the additional cost of labor. I would expect at least twice that amount if not more.

If Apple does it, the repair is guaranteed to be successful. However the warranty may then be voided due to the accidental damage. If it were me, I would do the repair myself. But it just depends on one's experience level. There are no warranty-voiding stickers to remove or anything, and it's just a couple steps. If done successfully the computer will be fixed and the warranty will be intact.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I think the best way to find out would be to call Apple.

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

Last time I swapped the display (due to image retention), they quoted me $680 for the display + $30 labor. It was free in the end because image retention was under warranty, but I'd guess they'll charge you around that much to replace the display.

And I would suggest going through Apple, since they will give you warranty on the display that they swap out. If you do it yourself and you mess up or if the new display has other issues (image retention, dead pixels), then it's all on you. Pay the extra to have peace of mind. Really.

7. baseballboy23ak thread starter macrumors member

as long as he does not drop it again, it won't get worse right?

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

^ This. My first two screens had dead pixels and the second one had very bad image retention on top of it. There seems to be quality control issues with these screens so don't make the mistake of going through a third-party unless you are sure they will offer good warranty terms, and ready to have to deal with that hassle.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Isn't it illegal to call Apple ?

Maybe not eh?

:)

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

OFF TOPIC:

You people who had bad image retention. Did you notice this when using it,
    or did you discover it when doing the test?

----------

Am I missing something here folks? :D

11. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Apple would charge you around $700 for the display exchange (including labor).

12. bill-p macrumors 65816

It was clearly noticeable in normal use as soon as I switched into Mission Control.

13. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

For the first month I didn't notice a thing. Second month it started to be noticeable on a regular basis. Third month it was unbearable. So I took it in, and according to Apple's genius it passed their test and was within spec. Didn't pass my spec though, so I insisted on a Samsung replacement, and got it.

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

STILL OFF TOPIC...sorry

The reason i'm asking is that I have both the 13" and 15" retina MBP and I think both of them are LG. I've not seen anything. I used to have a notebook with an IPS screen with very bad IR, so I know waht it looks like.

The fact that you say this develops over time is odd. But I would be rather freaked out for sure if I started seeing it (even once, as I would assume it would just get worse).

I don't know.

But certainly i'm not going to go looking for it. That would be, without a doubt, a mistake.

15. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Just go to AppleStore and tell them to perform the Check board test. You can also do it by yourself for 10 minutes or so and check if you have IR.
    http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

16. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

beside the damage to the lcd screen itself, does the aluminum surface of the lcd housing got dented too? if not then just go to the apple store and buy another laptop, swap out the screen yourself and return it and say its defective right out of the box. it's a dishonest act, but you're the one that's getting burned, and even if you had apple care it still wouldn't save you.

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

Uh, don't do this. Yikes.

18. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

That's a good idea, but really nasty.

19. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

I like the way you think.

20. mac jones macrumors 68040

Crime is apparently contagious.

One person grabs something, another sees this and thinks "Heck he's doing it, must be ok then duh"

Pretty soon you have a mob.

Then when one of the perps is collared (love this TV talk ), he say's: "Heck everyone one was doing it! I was just going along".

Book'm Danno.

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Nothing more than an attempt to ad a bit of levity to an otherwise unfortunate situation :)

22. mac jones macrumors 68040

Please next time put a full laughing face and not a smiley. Smily makes me think your insane. :D

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Parsing words is fun...

24. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I check mine for 5 minutes and it was very, very light the shadow, went away in less than 30 seconds. Am I good with me LG screen?

25. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

No, it would get worst with time. You should do it for 10 minutes or so, then it would stay there longer. If it doesn't bother you in your daily work, don't look for it intentionally. If you want to be on the safe side, go to Apple and exchange the display since all the replacements are Samsung, and who knows what would happen in a year or so (they plan to disconnect from Samsung).