15" rmbp or 15"cmbp? decision... decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Badrottie, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have trouble deciding which one to get. I am a digital artist with photoshop and light video editing with FCPX and iMovie. I suppose 8GB ram is enough and I understand I can't upgrade to 16GB in the future, right? That sucks. If I want to upgrade ssd and ram, I would go with cmbp. rmbp is very tempting for me but will rmbp with 8gb will do for photoshop and FCPX?

I don't know what to do. :( Money is not an issue. :apple:

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes it's 8GB will suffice but 16GB is better and will help resale. Why not a BTO rMBP with 16GB ram?

3. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Since RAM cant be upgraded later on the rMBP i will go with 16GB.
    You can upgrade SSD on the rMBP after you get it, have seen some SSD blades on the market. Think they were around 512GB but do not hold me to it about the size.
    I use the rMBP and love it, I am doing photo editing on it and love the screen.
    "only" have the 256GB SSD since i have all my work on a external HHD with USB 3.0.

4. Ploki macrumors 68020

rMBP 16GB ram.

@Schranke: OWC, 480gb

5. Macral macrumors member

Get the rMBP with 16GB RAM. For me, once I get used to the retina screen, it's hard to go back to regular screen.

6. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Thx Ploki forgot the size so i guessed.

But Go for the retina with 16GB you will love it

7. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

8. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

9. Geoffre macrumors newbie

In your OP, you said that money was not a factor. If so, isn't the clear choice a rMBP with 16 GB? Or did you mean that the price difference between the cMBP and rMBP models you are considering is negligible?

10. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

get the cMBP. Retina screen not that big of a deal. Upgrade is more important and the price of the rMBP with 16/512 is insain!!!

11. exomoons macrumors newbie

Rmpb 16Ram, 768 SSD, 2.7ghz if the statement above holds true.

12. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

You can get a matte screen on the non-retina. This alone makes it leaps better than retina.

13. Geoffre macrumors newbie

As a counterpoint, it's funny you mention this -- I've only had my rMBP a few days, but until I read your comment, it never explicitly occurred to me that it has a glossy screen. For whatever reason, it's much less noticeable than it was on my predecessor machine (either a 2008 or 2010 MBP, can't remember) and I just never thought about it. In my opinion, the glossy screen is much less problematic than it used to be. Could just be my usage scenarios, though.

14. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

I am not buying it but the agency is buying one for me they asked me if I wanted a 17" MBP or retina MBP. So I haven't decided about rMBP until now. I did not ask them about 8GB or 16GB and I did not ask how do they order it for me because that is their money to spend on. I don't feel comfortable telling them what I want or need more memory. :apple:

15. leman macrumors 604

That might be true (although I would argue to the contrary). The increased real screen estate, extremely fast SSD out of box and 0.5kg less weight do make a BIG difference though.

I don't see any reason not to go retina, especially if money isn't an issue. 16GB will be enough for the next few years at leas t (your CPU/GPU will be feeling obsolete before you 'run out of RAM') and the SSD is already approaching the limits of the SATA3 connection, so there is not much upgradeability there, aside storage space. And: as a photo/video editing professional, you will be using external storage anyway.

----------

Don't go 17", its too heavy and significantly slower than the retina model...

16. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

I wish but it is up to the agency to spend money for me or not. :apple:

17. exomoons macrumors newbie

Ahh I see, in that case we don't want to push our luck.

My main job is 3D mine modelling with the occasional of graphic/web design and 16Gb of RAM does the job well. Having more RAM is very important when I have to open multiple programs/files simultaneously and with that in mind I recommend 16gb of RAM regardless of what mbp you choose.

GL with the hunt, I do hope you'll get the Rmbp though.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Will they spend on refurb options? That would absorb the cost of the 16GB upgrade, which I think is very worth it for that kind of work.

19. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I like your sig...

Though after listening to people for 35 years I think it might just be a blessing not to be able to hear them. Remember think positive, there is always plus side to everything.

20. anarti macrumors regular

once you go retina you will look at the other screen, even new iMac etc, and you'll say to yourself "what a crap, I can see pixels" :)

Nothing looks the same after using retina for a while. It's a great experience and great laptop.

I would go for rMBP all the way!!!!!!!

21. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Non retina has a native firewire port and an extra drive bay. You can throw externals at me all day long, nothing beats an SSD for boot plus a 1TB 7200rpm drive in the same machine.

22. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

Well, then just buy one 15" rMBP with 16GB RAM for me :)

23. tharitm macrumors member

tharitm

If money is not an issue better max out everything(RAM) and get the rMBP and an external HDD! Don't forget the external Hard Disk!! FCPX and Photoshop just needs big chunks of space! :p

24. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

GET THE RETINA! not a hard decision at all. And once you do, it will make all other computer screens obsolete.

25. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Go with the classic MacBook Pro at least with those you can go past 1TB for storage, it beats always taking an external harddrive with you just to run those big programs.