15" rMBP - Update/pricedrop tomorrow?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmwebs, Oct 22, 2012.

  1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #1
    Just wondering if there is a likelihood that we will see either: A) A price drop on the 15" rMBP or B) A minor update to the 15" rMBP at tomorrows event?

    Failing that, what are the chances of the 13" rMBP including a desecrate dedicated GPU (i.e like the GeForce GT 650M that comes with the 15" model)

    The reason I ask is that I'm going to be buying a 15" model, simply to replace both a Macbook Air and a Mac Pro desktop machine. My thinking being that I can still run two or three external displays from the rMBP, and use it as a laptop as well. I just didnt know if I should go ahead and buy, or wait till tomorrow incase its updated.
     
  2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #2
    Honestly, I doubt there would be a price drop. It is still a new product and in a class of its own. If they lower the price, it may be too close to that of the 13". The only time they lower prices is when the new models hit
     
  3. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

    Mac-Tech

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #3
    I hope they make the "silent tweak" after the event for the 15' RMPB's!
    I wish there was away of knowing when they will do this??
    I hope the front page of this forum will let us know!!
    So glad I didn't buy it earlier something told me to wait wait...lol
     
  4. joshhedge macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2012
    #4
    Well if they do I'll be pissed. It hasn't even been six months since they were released. I cannot imagine Apple ****ing us over, that badly.
     
  5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

    Interstella5555

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #5
    Why not, it's happened before. That said, I'd be very surprised if they did a price drop already, Id imagine the cMBP line will be phased out before that happens.
     
  6. stuaz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #6
    They won't drop the price, but there may be a slight internal change, but it wont be spec updates - most likely a manufacturing change - hell Apple may not even say anything!
     
  7. vpro macrumors 65816

    vpro

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2012
    #7
    Got my Cash in Hand.......

    ready to hand over my cash for the new 13" retina, to play with before i throw it back in their face like i did with the maxed out 15" retina macbook toy. hah, i love it.
     
  8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #8
    I could see a silent CPU bump to use the newer Ivy Bridge processors. It's nothing big, just a 100mhz increase across the board (so the CPU options would be 2.4/2.7/2.8).

    ----------

    The leaked photos from China, which so far look very credible, clearly show only a single chip under the heatsink/fan system in the 13". The 15" has two chips attached to the cooling system (CPU + GPU), so it looks like the 13" will just have integrated graphics.

    Since it has two fans for just the CPU, while the 13" now only has one fan for its CPU, I think we might see pretty decent CPU options, possibly quad core.
     
  9. theSeb macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #9
    A. price drop - 0% chance

    I wouldn't be surprised to see an improved cooling system, because the current one in the rMBP is simply not up to the task. It sucks for us early adopters, but such is life.
     
  10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #10
    Not just yet, but when both the 13" and 15" rMBPs are out and are free of their various birthing problems Apple will probably lower the price while preparing to phase out the cMBPs. Just like they did with the MBA: It was expensive and underpowered when it first came out in 2008, but Apple made drastic improvements and price cuts to make it a worthy replacement for the white MacBook.
     
  11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #11
    The early 2013 models will hit soon enough probably dropping them by $100
     
  12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #12
    I don't get this - initially when the rMBP came out, everyone was praising it for having a much superior cooling system to older MBPs. Why is it all of a sudden not up to the task?

    I do think there's a good chance Apple will put in the updated ivy bridge CPUs.
     
  13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

    bobr1952

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Location:
    Melbourne, FL
    #13
    Runs cooler than my 2008 iMac so I'm not complaining. :)
     
  14. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

    Mac-Tech

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #14
    Apple won't mention the update to the 15' RMBP even though they are making the heat distribution alot better....Looking forward to that!! Not sure about the price drop..if there is...WOW there are going to be alot of pissed off early buyers lol But what can you do..that's how business is...!
     
  15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #15
    What, the cMBPs?
     
  16. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Location:
    FL
    #16
    I highly doubt any tweak to the 15" mbpr would coincide with any event of a different product. They may have already made tweaks. These kind of internal tweaks are not publicized so I would expect nothing to be said when one happens.
     
  17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #17
    usually when the new models of laptops come out, the old ones drop by $100. The 2013 laptops with the haswell chips will get here in Q1....and probably be a big battery improvement
     
  18. ljx718 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    #18
    cooling is great on my rmbp. doing basic things, it runs in the mid to high 30's C with it being on intergrated gpu. runs very very cool.
     
  19. lord patton macrumors 65816

    lord patton

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago
    #19
    I expect either a price drop or (more likely) a small-spec bump on the 15 rMBP.

    I also expect a price-drop on the BTO options across the board.
     
  20. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #20
    I guess the BTO options will drop, would make sense.

    What kind of spec bump could we see though. I guess a minor CPU bump may be an option, but cant see any form of RAM or SSD bumps coming.
     
  21. joshhedge macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2012
    #21
    Could it be that Apple has got early access to Haswell for their 13inch rPro!?!
     
  22. lord patton macrumors 65816

    lord patton

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago
    #22
    I agree, CPU bump is about all the can do, "bump-wise".

    I'm assuming that either in 2013 or 2014 the classic MBP will be retired, and the portable Mac lineup will be Air and (retina) Pro. The retinas will be priced where the current cMBPs are. That means there's $400 to drop in the next 6-18 months.

    A price-drop now, say $200, would be a pretty clear sign that 2013 is the end for the cMBP.
     
  23. theSeb macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #23
    Because people weren't measuring what they should been measuring. Stay tuned for a long post on this subject from me.
     
  24. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #24
    Not that early.
     
  25. nontroppo macrumors 6502

    nontroppo

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    #25
    Will be interested in your findings. I don't play games, but I can say that for heavy workloads involving lots of computational analysis and graphics, I never find the rMBP overheating, it performs just as well as my 2012 Mac Pro, which amazes me.
     

Share This Page