15'' rMBPers, Please Post Your iStat Pro Temperatures Here!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Starfyre, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

If you guys and gals have the time, please consider installing the following free tool:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

After running your machine for around 20 minutes, please get a screenshot of your dashboard or post your reported temperatures and/or battery remaining so we can get an idea what the heat and battery life are like. Don't forget to state your processor (i.e. 2.0/2.3/2.6) and what your workload is (idle,light,moderate,heavy) . If you own a NON-HASWELL RMBPs are welcome too!

Hopefully with this information, we can all get an idea how each of our temperatures are. Thank you!

2. Breedlove macrumors regular

Generally, none of my temps go above 35 degrees under moderate load.
    Haven't pushed the computer past 60 yet.
    15" - 2.3 750M

3. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

bout 95-100 while gaming / rendering.

just been to a LAN this whole weekend, not a single crash.

4. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Early 2013
    Mavericks
    Hooked up to Thunderbolt display
    Moderate load - skype, outlook, streaming music, firefox 5 tabs, no flash.

48-50C average.

5. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

Don't know if I'm the only one that's noticed this, but iStat pro doesn't seem to be recording the CPU diode temperature; for me at least.

I also have SMC fan control installed. Often, SMC fan Control will say the CPU diode temp is 45-50C, yet iStat will only display the CPU heatsink temperature, which is about 10C lower and not an accurate representation.

FanControls temperature readings match pretty well what a multitude of other tools running under windows are reportiing. So I'm more inclined to believe FanControl over iStat pro.

This could have to do with Haswell, but I still kind of don't believe temps like this could be accurate. There is no way your core CPU temp stays under 40C all the time -- just no. That's got to be the temperature at the heatsink or something.

6. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

After 20 minutes of having it closed and hooked up to a monitor, nothing is warmer than 105˚F; most are about 89-98˚F. This is just moderate web browsing, Aperture, and Word.

*Edit*Forgot to mention I have a Haswell 2.6Ghz with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

7. JorgeLomeli macrumors regular

JorgeLomeli

Heres mine:

47 Celsius @
    rMBP Late 2013 15" 2.3/ 16Gb Ram / 1Tb Pcie SSD/ 750m (but i always use Gfxcardstatus to only use the integrated card Iris Pro)

[​IMG]

8. Breedlove macrumors regular

Well either way thats what iStatPro is showing.
    I couldn't believe it myself - that a laptop could run as cool as my gaming rig at idle...

9. phsphoenix macrumors member

How in the world are you managing those temps?

10. phsphoenix macrumors member

Here are my iStat temps. Normal usage using Firefox.

Attached Files:

11. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Guys, idle/low usage temps mean almost nothing.

Please post your temps while stressing your CPU (gaming or synthetic tests such as geekbench3)

12. phsphoenix macrumors member

I'm guessing you have the 750m 15" rmbp? I'm curious how it performs in general. I play Starcraft II, and apparently I can't go any higher than medium graphics settings at 1680x1050, while my three year old 460 GTX can manage ultra settings.

----------

I've hit around 90-100C as a max. I believe that's the max the cpu will let you go before it throttles.

13. Breedlove macrumors regular

I don't know, it might be because I live in a very cold area and it's freaking 50 degrees fahrenheit in my bedroom right now with the heat on. I even have a small space heater under my desk to keep my feet warm.

14. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

that's extremely high. i think its too much if its over 90. 95-100 really seems like it will wear down the graphics processor in the long run.

I assume this is related to no proper EFI windows drivers in bootcamp? the fans simply can appropriately cool the GPU in windows?

15. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I think this would be more helpful if we could come up with a standardized test, since the point is mostly to compare the thermal performance between the three CPUs, right? That's something I'd also like to know about that even Anandtech's review won't cover (they only have the 2.3).

Maybe a specific youtube video with nothing else running? Except then we'd need to make sure it's in the same browser, and if in Chrome the dGPU would need to be disabled with gfxCardStatus or the numbers will be way off between machines. What we don't want it something that will go to full load; it should be a light/medium work load that proceeds at a set rate regardless of CPU speed.

16. aiyaaabatt, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

You are right. Best test, IMO would be for everyone to run Geekbench3 32-bit, or something similar. It is free (64bit costs money). See Link: http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/download/ (Make sure other programs are closed when running this test)

I just ran Geekbench3 (32bit). Here are my max temp results (using iStat Menu). (15'' 2.3, 16gb, 512gb, 750m):
    CPU Core 1: 84c
    CPU Core 2: 84c
    CPU Core 3: 81c
    CPU Core 4:79c
    CPU Die: 86c
    CPU Proximity: 56c

GPU Die: 62c
    GPU Proximity: 53c

Other observations:
    Idle temps: ~35c (CPU Die)

17. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

It's worth doing, but this may only end up tests peak thermals, which are going to be exactly the same (because all 3 chips will likely hit peak temps, throttle, and produce no viable results while running an all-cores 100% usage test).

We need a benchmark that doesn't max the CPU and try to complete as quickly as possible, which is why I suggested video playback (regardless of your CPU speed video is played back at its actual frame rate, so the different CPUs will sit at different usage % during the test and we'll see temperatures at the same work load over time).

18. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Well, see my above results. It did not peak thermals, or even close to it, I would say. So I think this may be a good measurement tool. Test only takes ~1 min 30 seconds to finish.

19. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

Can you post step by step instructions?
    e.g. close out all applications, shutdown machine. Log in, wait 10 minutes? Can you include the link to the video or other application that we should run.

Also include small details like whether bluetooth must be off, brightness?

20. phsphoenix macrumors member

According to Google that's around 10 C. I start getting a cold when it's 20 C if I have to sit in one place for too long, so how on earth can you survive at those low temperatures?

21. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

See Link: http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/download/

Just click the link and download geekbench3. Open the program, but before clicking "Run Benchmarks," make sure you are not running other programs (because running other programs in the background may increase temperatures).

Make sure you have a temperature monitoring program. I recommend iStat Menu: http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ (there is a free 14-day trial)

That is pretty much it. Post your results (in Celsius). It would also be helpful to post your ambient temperature if you know it.

22. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Did you notice what the fan speeds peaked to?

23. phsphoenix macrumors member

The hardest test I've thought of so far is compiling a large amount of packages from macports. I can hit 90-100C and stay there for 20-30 min if I'm compiling something big. As for peak temps, I believe that unless you hit 90-100C the CPU goes into turbo mode, so 100C might be the hard maximum that we have to live with.

24. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Fan's didn't increase. They stayed at ~2000 RPM. They only increase when temp is above 90c, which mine didn't hit during this test.

25. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

OK. I was actually thinking you ran Cinebench, but it was Geekbench.