15" rMPB Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silent99, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Silent99, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

Silent99 macrumors member

I purchased a 15" rMBP on October 29th. 2.6ghz/256/16GB As I'm sure most of you know this was quite expensive including Apple Care.

Since I purchased it I have been having all sorts of random issues. Some of which include:

I ran AHT extended and simple and it passed both times. Finally, after keeping track of these issues I decided enough was enough and decided to call Apple.

Upon calling Apple I was immediately advised with the # of issues i was having I needed to make an appointment at the Genius bar. The rep made an appointment for me and I went later that day. He said he documented the issues and gave me a case # to give to the Genius.

The genius only ran hardware diagnostics on the machine and everything passed. He speculates that is could be software but based on the type of issues I am having it suggests a problem with the storage as well. He then gave me three options.

1. Make a new user and see if the issues continue

2. Leave it with Apple overnight for extended hardware tests

3. Call Apple Care and seek a replacement since this machine is eligible for return through Jan 7 with the holiday return policy. This option was HIGHLY recommended by the genius seeing how much I paid and how new it is.

I opted to seek a replacement through AppleCare, which I think the Genius should have helped me with this and not just sent me home to deal with it myself. So I call AppleCare and explain and I get transferred to a Sr. Advisor.

He informs me that Apple would not be able to replace the machine and insisted that my issues are software. He claims he could not find any notes from where I spoke to the other agent that made the appointment for me nor any notes from the Genius at the Apple Store. He attempts to contact the store and the Genius had already left for the day. So he wants to wait until he talks to him before proceeding to find out what he did.

I explain to him that I am very disappointing by the service I am receiving and he just doesn't seem to care. So I asked to speak with a manager and he immediately says "Apple doesn't play that game of 'let me speak to someone else'. At this point I got extremely frustrated with the way this was being handed and decided to call and talk to another Sr. Advisor. I explain the situation once again, and he said he had no knowledge of an extended return policy but wanted to check on it with sales. While he did that, I checked Apple's site and found where it said they did have one, and sales told him that was true as well.

So he wanted me to try to install a clean copy of the OS and go from there. Since the clean install I have had one issue. I tried to launch an application and it just sat there loading. I used for quit on it and tried it again, same thing. Also tried a different application, it froze too. I then opened up Activity Monitor and CPU/RAM was normal. Then I clicked on the Disk tab, as soon as I clicked it Activity monitor froze. The applications and activity monitor stayed frozen for about 5 mins and then everything started working fine.

I called the Sr. Advisor back, informed him of the issue and I was told that it could have possibly just been a fluke and that I should give it until Friday and then see about a return.

I am very frustrated with Apple after spending this kind of money and getting this kind of support and rudeness from their phone support.

What do you guys think about this situation?

2. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Can you just return and rebuy under "holiday" return policy. Whatever that is.

3. Silent99 thread starter macrumors member

I could but I'd be weeks without a laptop, possibly longer with it being the holidays since it was custom ordered. Not to mention Apple Care trying to keep me from returning/replacing.

4. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

yeah that is a pain. I'd try calling again maybe you will get someone else. Keep asking until they escalate it.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hm, looks like SSD issues, if you started a totally clean system it should work without any problems.
    AHT won't always find problems.
    Could also be RAM related, have you tried to do an extended test on RAM?

Edit: Use another program like memtest to do an extended RAM test.

6. Silent99 thread starter macrumors member

What should I use for that? Only test I have ran is AHT. Sorta new to macs.

7. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Reminds me of my past dealing with Applecare and how they treated me, makes me sick. If I were you, go back to the apple store and get help that way. If you want a replacement through applecare, tell them to help you with it since they are giving problems and have them speak with Applecare. The Sr. Advisors are about as useless as the other reps. Applecare acts like they are god and can treat there customers like pee-ons. Ok, enough ranting, Good luck!

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I Updated my last post, Memtest, should work even though it's fairly old, it's a small program to download, just try if it works on your machine.
    Download here.

9. skysoul macrumors newbie

Like Apple said its software problem. Try to pin down which 3rd party software is giving u the issues by install and test before proceed to the next 3rd party software u install.

U cant expect any computer to run perfect with ALL 3rd party software.

cheers mate dun be frustrated, u have a amazing mac enjoy it.

10. Silent99 thread starter macrumors member

The only 3rd party software I have is microsoft office. Which I doubt has anything to do with it, but if it does what good is this machine if I can't run something as simple as the office suite. Software or not it's still Apple's problem.

Why would anyone buy a machine that only worked properly with Apple developed software?

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you started completely clean microsoft should not give you problems, it won't install any startup or Launch/ Agents/Deamons.

Does Memtest run?

12. Silent99 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, it's running now.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd run AHT, like you've already done, but enable the extended test and looping. Let it run overnight. That should uncover any issues that may not come up with a single pass of the standard test.

14. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ok, if this does not give any problems you could try installing a clean OS on an external disk, then boot from that disk, if it won't get you into the same problems it's almost sure to be the SSD.

For instance, you could try to install on a USB stick (8 GB Minimum) and boot from it.

15. Silent99 thread starter macrumors member

That's true. I'd just have to use it awhile to see, since the issues are random and can't really be replicated.

16. Silent99, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

Silent99 thread starter macrumors member

Passed memtest, did get very warm though. Not sure if that's normal.

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Don't worry about it, it's a fairly heavy task.

18. BlueRaider macrumors regular

I have the EXACT same machine as you. I ordered mine around the same time (within a week I think) and I've had the exact same issues as you. Another problem I've encountered recently I think has to do with the powernap feature. I woke my rMBP and noticed it was very sluggish. I checked activity monitor and 16GB of RAM were being used AND my SSD was showing 60GB of free space via free space tab, I knew I had around 160GB free mere hours before. I rebooted and the problem was resolved.

As to the sluggishness upon waking the laptop, I experience that every time I attempt to wake mine and it drives me crazy. The screen stays black for 15-20 seconds and then the cursor doesn't show up for another 15-20 seconds. After the cursor shows up it still takes a good 20 seconds to be able to move it. My last MBP was an early 2011 15" High-End with a Crucial M4 and it did not exhibit ANY of these problems. I don't know why Apple couldn't have just used off the shelf MSATA drives in the rMBP instead of the proprietary drives included in all the rMBP's.

Another issue I've had involves Bootcamp and the SMC. If I play Black Ops in OS X and then reboot into Windows and play Black Ops I'm forced to reset the SMC.

19. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I had similar issues with my 2.6/8GB/512GB model. The logic board was replaced and it's all fine now. Working better and faster than it ever had. Truly amazing. I made a genius appointment (picked it up 2 days later!)

20. skysoul macrumors newbie

If MS office is the only 3rd party software u installed. its more likely to be the hardware issues. Which some of them here suggest is the logic board replacement.

21. Silent99 thread starter macrumors member

If that be the case I'd prefer apple replace the machine since its new and still within the return policy. Doesn't seem fair for me to have to take a replacement part on something month and a half old.

22. saytheenay macrumors member

This may be off base, but if your problems started after installing Office 2011, did you do the update packs (before running any Office apps) and updates from within the app after that?

Go here and download all 3 updates. Install them one after the other (oldest first without starting any Office applications). Then, open Word, go to Help > Check for Updates and install any additional updates until it says there aren't any more. The last update pack, 14.2.5, is the retina-enabled update.

It may very well be hardware issues, or it may be that you are running 3rd party software that hasn't been updated.

If that still doesn't work, try a SMC reset and PRAM reset--both have worked wonders for me when everything else fails. If none of that works, its very likely a hardware issue.

23. skysoul macrumors newbie

Well, I guess we r the unlucky ones. I had my logic board replacement after 3 months. Better fail now then after the 1 year apple care. Cost 1500 without warranty *ouch*.

24. Silent99 thread starter macrumors member

Here is another video of issues I experienced tonight with the machine not waking up. After opening the lid on multiple occasions, the machine would not power on, nor with any key strokes. Finally after pressing the power button and waiting 30-45 seconds it powered on, did this at least twice.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvEDVSl5Zo8

You think these are software issues or should I be seeking a replacement? I have already reloaded the OS. My first mac and I'm not very impressed seeing as this cost almost $3,000 and the lack of support from Apple.

25. tivoboy macrumors 68030

well, with that sort of service

Well, with that sort of service I would too be annoyed.

having received such service, I would probably be inclined to do the following.

return the machine. buy another one (not a BTO of course) and start using that one, try to build it up from scratch if you can at all, or migrate only the user account and not all the apps. I know, it's a pain.

Order your new BTO (if your card or whatever can handle the two purchases) and get that process started.

Use the new machine, get it all sorted out, and make a backup. When the new BTO arrives, restore from your new backup and return the 2nd one you purchased prior to the 14 day NQA return policy, or the holiday policy, but be on top of that. (technically, if you order online and take delivery, and then call within 14 days, and then SHIP within ANOTHER 14 days, you are compliant)

It's not the best CUSTOMER policy, but then again it doesn't appear that the company representatives you are dealing with are acting appropriately either.

disclaimer: I'm not ENCOURAGING any of this, but I'd probably be annoyed enough at this point (your point) to most likely take this route if I HAD to have a machine and the company wasn't willing to step up with what should be normal customer service.

just an FYI, the machine should rock! After two failed attempts, I've got one now that works quite reliably and the screen it tight!