15" vs 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubble27, Jul 26, 2008.

1. bubble27 macrumors regular

Hey all

I want the specs of the 17inch and thats why i'd go for it but then i dont really want the size of it. Carrying the extra weight is not an issue just the space rather.

Is the 17inch as mobile as the 15inch??

I'd defo go for a 17" if they made them quad core or perhaps with a better gpu cause i do game quite alot.

Otherwise if the upgrade has no better gpu i was thinking about going for the 15inch and just getting an xbox !

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Lots of threads on this already, and it always comes down to personal preference

If possible, visit an Apple Store and compare them side by side yourself
    Nobody's experience on the board will be the same as yours so it will just be their opinion

Both are great machines and you can't go wrong with either one
    Just decide on what is most important to you and pull the trigger

Enjoy whatever choice you make

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The only mobility problem you may have is finding carrying cases. Most any case will fit the 15" MBP. The 17" may stretch it a bit. Apple sells stuff that works with them, but not everybody buys accessories from Apple.

I really don't think 17" is worth the extra coin when compared to the base model, but many think it is. I have no trouble seeing anything on the 15". However, I'm usually plugged up to a 20" monitor for normal stuff. I just use the LCD screen when, well, mobile.

You really can't go wrong with either one. The bigger one just costs more.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

After a lot of use with the 17" and then you hold a 15" the difference is substantial. Of course this is not to say the 17" isn't as portable as the 15"; it feels just a portable, however in reality it is bigger and a lot of tables and stuff doesn't accommodate well for the 17".

As for specs you can get the same specs on the 15", with the exception of the screen resolution.

I don't know about quad core or anything, but most of the time the 17" and a 15" of identical specs the 17" feels faster.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

General rule of thumb... if it is your only computer and you aren't going to use an external monitor, then get the 17"... if you have a desktop, or you are going to use a monitor, then get the 15"

I have the 17" MBP and I have no misgivings about portability
    I have used it on airplanes, etc.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes rule of thumb, but not for all cases :)D)

And regarding airplanes, the 17" is a tight fit on the tray tables (if you're flying coach).

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That's why I said a general rule of thumb and not an absolute ;)

It does take up the whole tray table, for sure... and I was on an RJ at that, but it was certainly manageable (and got me a conversation with the girl next to me on her 15")

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. Abhorred macrumors member

I'm facing the same dilemma. I'll be getting a large-ish LCD for when I'm at home, but having had two screens for so long, I'm now very used to having two primary windows going at any one time - be it web page coding in one window and its results in another, reference documents and an essay, multiple music applications, or whatever. The point is that, as my girlfriend has recently started calling me, I'm a Screensize Queen (note: I am male).

Now, for at least the next academic year - hopefully my last before grad school - I'll primarily be keeping the laptop at home for work, and porting it around maybe once or twice a week on average; more when I'm getting ready for a live laptop-inclusive performance (I'm a computer music guy). At home, I'll also have an external keyboard and mouse to minimize wear on the built in components.

So, as I look to get a MBP, I'm caught between the added portability of the 15" versus the awesomeness of the 17" display. Since I'll be using the laptop's display to dual-screen, more screen real estate is useful even with an external display. My concern is mostly the added weight and size of the 17", and whether I can deal with it during those times I'm out and about with it. Using both in store, the 17" seemed to make more sense in terms of maintaining my current workflow, but it sure felt heavier and bulkier than the 15". Neither have spent time in my backpack, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel with either in terms of moving it around.

If anyone wants to add their 2 cents on my situation, feel free. I just didn't want to start my own thread on a subject that's already so well covered. Help me, internet.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And we thank you for joining in and not starting yet another thread on this subject! :) It is far more profitable to all concerned this way.

If you are on the go a LOT, then the 15" may make sense for you. The 17" is significantly heavier (in my opinion), but I don't transport mine enough to make me not want the larger screen.

When I made my decision I finally decided that I would rather regret buying more than less :eek: Simple as that.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want the feel of two screens you can adapt your workflow with Spaces; of course you won't have the real separate desktops like in Linux, but it will do well for you.

Most of my friends with MBPs do just fine with a 15" models; I would have gotten the 15" myself had I not been dazzled with the extreme niceness of the 17".

11. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I had a 15" TiBook then went to a MBP 17" and love it.
    My bro had a 15" AlBook then went to a MBP 17" Hires and loves it.
    My boss has two MBP 17" and said he never going back to 15".

12. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

It's all a matter of personal choice really. I haven't had the pleasure of owning a 17" MBP, but I do have a 17" Dell and though surely they are not a comparison, my MBP is much more easy to carry as well as it taking up less space.

On this note, I did see a 17" MBP being used on a plane and though I loved the sheer size and beauty of the thing, I wouldn't get it as it seems to be a hassle to carry around.

Go for the 15" unless you absolutely want the 17" incher.

13. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

I use both on a daily basis. One is the company-owned work 17", and the other is my personal 15".

For work, the 17" is great. I love the extra real estate, even though I also hook it up to an external monitor at my desk. For home, the 15" is better, as it sits around the living room and is easier to pick up and use for casual web browsing, email and the like.

14. Abhorred macrumors member

I don't expect to move the system more than once or twice a week in the coming year - and I live near school, to where the system would most often be moved. I'm not a heavy traveler, so I'm not terribly concerned with space on planes and trains, but I'd like to be able to use it wherever possible.

Really, I'm honestly not sure that I could sacrifice my beloved screen space for reasons of portability, but am also having trouble coming to terms with the prospect of porting around a bulky, 7 pound box. The 15" seems far more reasonable in that regard, but from my in-store tests, I doubt I'd be able to do a lot of simultaneous multi-window work without an awful lot of horizontal scrolling at any given time. Not fun.

I definitely did feel the weight you mentioned when I was lifting them up in the store, though; it's just 1.4 pounds different, but it sure feels like a decent bit more than that. I'm not a weak guy, but toss in a few textbooks and binders, and the weight adds up.

My practical side is saying "Get the 15," but my functional, screen space needing side is saying the opposite. I want to reconcile them, but they don't get along. Perhaps some alcohol would help smooth things out, but then they'd both just start crying over having to spend this much money in the first place.

The problem is that in my field, screen space can be really, really important. Large musical scores and big, complex synth patches make for a tight fit on a standard 15" screen, particularly in the latter during live performances when I don't have a lot of time to scroll around to find stuff. I'm just torn between my personal needs for both portability and, er, visibility. It's a vicious circle - and the longer I think about, the more viciouser it gets.

This is unfair; no one should have this much power. And unless you brought enough for the whole class, you shouldn't have talked about it at all.

I'm telling teacher - you'll see, I totally will. ;)

15. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Hehe. I got totally lucky at work. Our IT department didn't buy or support Macs. But there was an IT guy (web dude) who had the Mac, ostensibly so he could check the website with multiple browsers. He quit, and the IT department looked at the MBP like it was a brick. I asked if I could use it instead of my Dell, and they said "we don't support Macs, but you can use it if you can support yourself".

Our new IT director has started to allow a certain amount of flexibility, the guy who took my old position when I transferred departments was able to order a new MBP. So there is some hope for corporate America!

16. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Well weight isnt the issue....so what do i gain with the 17inch really?
    Hmmm im pulling 15" + external monitor

Im thinking of doing that too! But does the comp run as fast on the external?
    Isnt too heavy for the processor to always run it like that?

Do you have another keyboard btw?
    Duno if i'll get use to it :s

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

I bought the 15" because I felt that the 17 was going to get uncomfortable on my lap after about an hour (DVD's); I use a very light lap pad also that adds a bit of weight.

But I'd like to try one. (Maybe i've toughened up a bit) :D

Highly unlikely.

18. JayR*the*DJ macrumors newbie

I went with the 15". since i already have a 23" cinema display, paying the premium for the 17" wasn't worth it to me.

if i didn't have the cinema display already, i would have went 17".

imo, the price difference between 15" and 17" wasn't worth it according to my bank account.

19. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I think the 15 inch is a good compromise between weight / portability and yet still a good size screen. If it was any bigger it'd get too cumbersome after a while, unless you're looking for a desktop replacement. But yeah, what other users said - see for yourself in-store. That's the best (and the most enjoyable) way to make up your mind!

20. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I like my 15" and 30" ACD combo. The 17" is quite a bit heftier overall when it comes down to it (those couple of extra pounds do make a difference when traveling) and I don't really think I'd want to view 1920x1200 on a 17" screen anyway.

The specs of the high-end 15" are identical to the high-end 17", with the exception of a high-res screen option (useful to some) and a third USB port (big deal).

21. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I love the 15" screen. This is coming from someone who is used to working frequently at a desktop with dual LCD monitors.

I never feel claustrophobic working on my 15" MBP. The screen size is good enough for me, the resolution is decent, and if anything if the screen gets cluttered, just use Spaces.

22. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Yeah. Except if you're a heavy graphics user. The MBPs have always been known to carry an overclocked GPU in the 17", or an underclocked one in the 15"... Not sure which. The 17" actually has 50% more USB ports than the 15" does, you know...:p

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You gain more aluminium to carry, a bigger screen, and 4 speakers with woofers.

It's the GPU and no it does not tax it.

Don't know about the other guy, but I do. I have it simply because I like a clicky keyboard with mechanical switches/buckling springs.

I don't use my external + MBP set up much, but sometimes it's more enjoyable to be seeing things on a physically bigger screen.

24. Abhorred macrumors member

I would like to personally curse all of you for making my decision that much more difficult. Curse you! Curse you all and your logical opinions!

I'm still quite concerned with the difficulty faced in moving the 17" around, but the added speakers would be a real benefit when I'm doing rehearsals without access to external speakers while still needing basic audio playback.

Compound that with my insatiable desire for screen space, and I find myself in quite the pretty little pickle. Portability or power? Ease of getting it places, or lacking the functions to make my work easier once it's there?

Argh, this just gets worse. *headdesk*

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the 15" :D