$150: Unopened New iPod Classic or iMac G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SkippyThorson, Sep 22, 2010.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I actually don't need either :)p), but I'm in a position where I can either buy:

A) A brand new shrink-wrapped iPod Classic - 160gb, latest 7th gen
    or
    B) An iMac G4 - 800mhz, 768mb ram, 17" display, 10.4.11, Adobe Creative Suite and Office 2004

I don't actually want either for myself. I'm looking to turn a profit, because that's what I do with my local craigslist ads. People post things for cheap because no one locally wants them for whatever reason, and I sell them elsewhere, where I know I can make good on Apple products. Which has worked well in the past. I just sold a dying iPhone 3G for $110 after paying $75. It's just something to do, to make some small play money.

I know the Classic could potentially be a fairly sought after thing if it gets EOL'd (especially unopened), and people are always after iMac G4s merely because of the style and cheap intro-to-the-desktop-Mac prices, but it is a discontinued PPC... So... My question is, which can turn more profit and why? Which one is a quick sell now, and which will be worth more in the near future?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would go with the Classic for sure.

Any Mac running less than a Core 2 Duo isn't worth spending money on for me :eek:

3. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

That's what I was thinking. Signs point to the decrease of PPC popularity, but signs point to an increase in demand should the classic go EOL. Plus there's a lot more that could go wrong with the computer. Hm.

Anyone else? :)

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

All it would take is a 160GB iPod Touch when the Classic is dropped and your Classic would not hold value. If it were a 1st generation it would at least be a collectors item. The iMac is a classic design. There are people would would buy it just as a work of art. Pretty much obsolete as a computer, it's unlikely to go down in value.

5. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Interesting take on it. So what you're saying is the Classic would be beneficial as an immediate return, but the iMac for long term? Good point on the Touch. If it goes to 128gb next September the Classic would be all but shot.

The iMac is probably at the depth of it's value right now, right? About $300 on eBay for a good one.

6. 40167 macrumors regular

iPod, you won't make money on the Mac. $300 on eBay gets you an ALS G5. The iPod being new you can still make some money on, iMac being old unless you're a collector you won't care much if it's mint for $300 or has a few scratches for <$150.

I just ran a quick search on eBay and the second result down is $150 buy it now or best offer: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMAC-M649...9509434?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item19bfa5ff3a
    Then there's one ending in an hour, right now doesn't have any bids at $49.99: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-G4-1...4531429?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item5d2b119665

7. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Haha, interesting. Well, I got the iPod today. It really is brand new, and I'm tempted to open it and keep it for myself. :p I'll resist.

We'll see what happens. The iMac guy told me he'd take an even trade for the iPod, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna sell the iPod.

8. Ttruvjr macrumors newbie

Awesome!

I'm glad someone else plays the craigslist market like I do. I'd go with the iPod. There are more people willing to buy/ trade for an iPod than any computer. Plus people are always more picky about computers. Just from my personal experience. Currently I am getting 16 GB wifi iPads at 350 to 400 and turning those around.

9. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I can't resist - it's just too easy, and I'm a sucker for quick money. At this rate, I'm surprised the authorities don't get suspicious.

"This is his third transaction here in a week... We're going to take him out. There's the white box. MOVE IN." :p

As you can tell by my sig, I went for the iPod. I wish people around me were willing to let go of iPads, but the same kid has had his up at $440 for 2 months. Glad to hear I'm not the only one playing this game too!