15000rpm laptop drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bushman1, Jan 27, 2008.

1. bushman1 macrumors regular

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That's going to pump out serious heat but for a laptop that is a pretty impressive drive.

Might cause problems with the heating in a MBP though.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Putting a 15k rpm hard drive into a MBP would put you at serious risk of disk failure, I think.

And the word is 'awesome,' not "assume."

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Apple stopped supplying 7200 rpm drives in the 15" Pros because of heat issues I believe. 15,000 rpm must put out tonnes of heat...

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

ohhh!!!:D awesome, lol i was trying to figure that out for so long...
    yeah 15000 would probably fry itself in a mbp, would not recommend that at alll.

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Apple supllies a 7200rpm hard drive, heat isent bad with that.

But if you want a really quick drive, wait till the SSD's go down in price and get one of those.

8. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

its available in BTO for the 15".

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Standard 5400rpm with a BTO 7200rpm 200GB.

Attached Files:

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

They must have started again, because they definitely stopped at one point. Drive technology must have improved...

11. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

The boot times on a 2.6Hz MBP with a 15k RPM HDD and 4GB RAM.... I'd blink, and it'd be on the interwebs..

12. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

That thing won't fit. It is 0.583 inches (1.483cm) thick. MacBooks and MacBook Pros only take 0.374 inch (0.95 cm) thick drives.

At those rotational speeds it probably used 1.8 inch platters - and stacks more in to make up the capacity. As a result - thicker drive.

13. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I can only imagine the noise.

Speaking of thicker HDD casings didn't a 500gig for the notebook come out but the laptop will have to be constructed around the dimensions of the HDD case? I read that somewhere.

Instead of two platters it has three.

14. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Think there were one or two. The new perpendicular technology allowed more to be stuffed onto a platter - but even then there are limits...

SSDs are going to catch up with mechanical disks in notebooks real quick. Apple know this... hence the MBA! Witness the future! Bwahahahahah!

15. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I totally agree with the SSD. Just like all other new technology, its expensive! So I'll wait until it gets cheaper. And in the mean time the sizes will increase.

16. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

The surprising thing is that Apple aren't charging through the nose for the SSD on the MBA. It's expensive, but you aren't going to get that drive for any less. Where it gets interesting is to see how Apple adjusts pricing - everyone is jumping on the SSD bandwagon (the margins on mechanical disks stink), and all that competition is going to push the price down quite fast. In six months time Apple are not going to be able to justify the SSD price they have now.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Quick question about SSDs without wanting to derail things too much:

Are they encased in an enclosure like a drive with similar connections? Apart from the cost, could I conceivably replace the drive in my MBP with an SSD, either now or in the future? Plug and play?

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Oddly enough I was looking at the Crucial Website today thinking the same thing when I saw they were going to be selling SSD drives soon

Can the MB/MBp take 9.5mm H (i think that can) Edit: as stated above they can

19. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Yes. They are configured to look and behave like a standard drive. I'm thinking of putting one in my MacBook - assuming I don't just run off and get a MBA. Just waiting for the price/capacity to be right (128GB for £400 would be nice).

I'm waiting to see how the prices work out.

One thing to keep an eye on - like this 15K drive, some 2.5 inch SSDs have been thicker than standard. So always check the label. :D

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

^^ Excellent, thanks both very much for your replies. Obviously technology to keep an eye on from now on... as with all these things, a lot cheaper 24-48 months down the line.

21. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Agreed on SSD as a user-replacement in a year or two. I'm upping the ram on my mbp to 4gb but leaving the HDD alone. Then, once a 64 or 128 ssd is reasonably priced I'll drop that in.

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Still, think about Geekbenching it and have it pwn all those arrogant Alienware fanboys... *tears in eyes*

23. bushman1 thread starter macrumors regular

10000rpm would be fine to if I didn't care about heating. An SSD would be better but those will still be another 2 years away. Storage isn't an issue for me I can just back up at my house. Doesn't samsung sell a 120gig SSD? Is an SSD rely as fast as a 15000rpm drive? I know one compony sell a 412gig 2.5in SSD but only in bulk for servers. They are coming out with an 800gig by the end of the year.

24. bushman1 thread starter macrumors regular

by that time MBP will be much better and it would be smarter to just buy a whole computer.

25. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I doubt that it would be smarter, some people can't afford to buy new computers that often, plus there is the economical argument and if its working why bother buying a whole new machine?

I plan on keeping mine for another 3 years and would like to upgrade it with an SSD, overall system performance would improve anyway and breathe new life into the system.