15inch MBP Backpack... big enough for books.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chonald, Apr 24, 2010.

1. chonald macrumors newbie

Hello,

I will be purchasing a 15inch Macbook Pro this summer. It will be used for my Software Engineering major.

I will be looking for a nice backpack to use with this laptop, and I am wondering if you guys could recommend one for me. Looks don't matter all that much. What matters the most for me is a backpack that can comfortably fit the laptop with enough room for school books and notebooks. Possibly 3 books at a time with a few notebooks?

Let me know if anyone has any ideas or can point me in a better direction.

Thank you,
    Cole

2. chonald thread starter macrumors newbie

I just did a quick search. The backpack that caught my eye was the Tom Bihn Brain Bag with one of the Brain Cells.

Does anyone have experience with these bags? People on the forums make it sound like these bags of very high quality and make the laptop safe for travel.

Is the Brain Bag big enough for school books as well?

3. Jwalker9 macrumors member

this just arrived yesterday for me

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/medium-messenger-bag-cl55108

I love it! i have used a northface backpack for the past 8 years or so, but it didnt have a laptop compartment, so i carried my previous mbp in a separate bag, which was real annoying. this is plenty big to hold books, cables, accessories, and an iphone in the front with a hole for your headphones. i highly recommend it.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I do, here are my thoughts on both:
    Smart Alec
    Brain Cell

My current favorite is the BBP Industries Backpack.

5. ipponrg macrumors 6502a

I personally got the Timbuk2 H.A.L. I place my new MBP15 in it with a few books book here and there. Some people might not like the main compartment though

6. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

North Face Recon. Theres a dedicated compartment for the laptop itself, and plenty of room and pockets for all your other stuff.

7. clarkmichelle macrumors newbie

I know how important it is to buy a laptop that sits well on your shoulders and doesn’t stress your back, especially if you are carrying a bunch of heavy books to school. Why don’t you take a look at this laptop backpack from Briggs & Riley? It’s one of the roomiest bags I have seen and has lots of space for all your text and notebooks. Besides, you’ll also find separate pockets for stationery, tech gear, and peripherals.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

North Face Surge.

Bigger than the Recon and also has the dedicated laptop compartment. Love it.

I bought it a few weeks ago from SunnySports.com. It's on sale over there for $81 (retails at $115). Cheapest price I could find, fast shipping, and the bag is perfect:

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/NFCPSRN.html

9. E Male macrumors member

+1

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

http://www.spireusa.com

You will never have to buy another backpack. The backpack also includes its own removable sleeve for added protection.

11. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I have a timbuk2(.com) bag that has lasted me nearly 8 years.

12. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

13. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I just bought the Tom Bihn Super Ego - it's a fantastic bag for carrying the 15" MBP and more.

14. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Check out the STM evolution on the Radtech website

15. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

it's a backpack/suitcase/messenger bag/mobile lap office

Higher Ground Trillium Laptop Backpack :cool:

a bit pricey. prices range from $100-$150 but i think it's way worth it
    holds a ton of peripherals too =]

you can even detach the laptop section for a lightweight sleeve too

http://www.hggear.com/trillium.html

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You should definitely check out Crumpler! The bags are of very high quality and a weatherproof.

I've had one for 5 years and it shows nearly no sign of usage!

17. lumpy macrumors newbie

without a doubt check out the patagonia bag on apple's online store. It fits up to a 17" mbp (what I use it for) and it's super comfortable, expandable, and useful.

18. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

+1 - I really like the Crumpler "SeedyBar" backpack I got recently. Fits my MBP in a Waterfield sleeve and all I need to carry (PSU, little flashlight, pouch of cords, spots for 2 rockstar cans) and room for a sweater or a couple of notebooks. Don't know how this would work for someone with a lot of books, I stuck a mobo box I had laying around in it for scale...

Not really a "computer" backpack though (no real sleeve) - for me that was a plus because I was going to use the Waterfield one, other may feel differently...

Attached Files:

19. jb27 macrumors newbie

Brain bag and brain cell

Currently using the Tom Bihn Brain Bag and Vertical Brain Cell for my i7 15" MBP. Love it. These guys make great stuff and their customer service is top notch!

20. Leslie Tan macrumors member

for your case i would say have a look at these one

google BOOQ bags for:

BooQ Mamba
    BooQ Taipan

21. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I have a Jansport Exchange, and I use it every day. It is huge, but it has straps on the side to cinch it down of you don't need all the space. It is a little loose for my 15" MBP, but it is adequate. There are plenty of pockets for books, pencils, calculators, etc. The main reason I picked this backpack is the gel padded straps and large capacity. It isn't quite as comfortable as an older Jansport backpack I had (which was the most comfortable backpack ever) since there is some tubing that digs into my shoulders, but it is close. Even loaded with my MBP and lots of books the straps are never uncomfortable.

I don't know if it's still in production, I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere. You might be able to find a similar one from Jansport, just make sure it has Air Lift straps (not air core, that's not the same thing).

Edit: another thought... If you are just starting college, you might find that you won't need to carry as many books as in high school. I usually go back to my room between classes so I don't have to carry a lot of stuff. The only time I fill my backpack is when I'm getting a package from the post office or when I'm travelling. So you can probably get by with a moderate size backpack instead of a huge one. I would consider the Jansport Exchange "huge" at >2100 in^3. Jansport's website lists size in in^3 for most of their backpacks.

22. jkester macrumors member

I just got a Hard Graft 2Unfold in grey. It's awesome. It wouldn't have room for too many books in addition to the rest of the stuff, but it could handle some and it looks great. A bit expensive though.

23. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Came here to recommend this brand. Bought one in 2005 for my Powerbook G4 and the backpack/sleeve still look brand new even after everyday use. Extremely good quality and also looks good and protects your laptop without looking like a "laptop backpack."

Plenty of room for books/notepads and laptop.

BTW, if you email customer service at SpireUSA and tell them you "really like their product but can't decide between theirs and some other brand, mainly because of Spire's somewhat steeop price" they might send you a coupon. I was told that back in 2005 and emailed them and they gave me 15% off of my purchase.

24. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

have that one but the surge looks good too