16 GB ipad 3 or refurbished 32 GB ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mercury6, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mercury6, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

Mercury6 macrumors member

Hello,

This is my first post here and I need some advice. I am planning on buying an ipad but I'm having trouble deciding between a 32 GB refurbished ipad 2 or a 16 GB ipad 3 (wifi only). I don't want to buy the 32 GB new ipad because I only want to spend around 500$.
    I'm a med student so I'll be using it mainly for medical apps, reading pdfs and ppts (2GB) and a few light games (angry birds, temple run...). I'll keep my music and photos on my iphone. Do you think 16 GB will be enough? Or should I go for the 32 GB ipad 2?

Thanks

2. G77 macrumors regular

I would definitely recommend new iPad - its so much better for reading etc. I gave my iPad 2 to my girlfriend and retina display was huge difference for me.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

16Gb seems plenty for your use. I would go with the new one.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

5. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you want exactly what the new iPad was designed to deliver.

6. Techwriter macrumors regular

As the previous post mentions, the new iPad is great for reading text and viewing graphic images. Just plan on managing your data a bit more than you would with a 32GB device, and 16GB should be fine.

7. Mercury6 thread starter macrumors member

I really want the new one :rolleyes: I'm just scared the storage won't be enough since ipad apps are bigger. Right now I have 5 GB of apps on my iphone but I don't use half of them. All my music is on the phone too. I think I'll go for the ipad 3. I'm a little worried about the warming problems though.

8. rbasra macrumors newbie

There is no warming problem. My new iPad is ice cold even after hours of use.

9. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

well if you go overboard, you would just have to manage it more carefully. iCloud stores all your apps, so you can re-download them whenever you want.

10. mac.junkie macrumors member

mac.junkie

Make sure you install Dropbox, too. That'll help with data management and keeping the 16GB useable. Using the cloud(s), you should be fine.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

also there are other services such as dropbox [as mentioned by previous poster] that give you some amount of storage, so it would all have to do with managing it.
    Ex: Dropbox for School
    SpiderOak for Home photos
    X app for this thing, etc.

So if you ever find yourself short on space you got the cloud to go to!

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

With 16GB there's going to soon enough be the fear of running out of space and you'll wish you had gone higher. I think for an iPad, 32GB is the sweet spot.

13. Snore macrumors newbie

iCloud.

I have 16 GB of memory on my iPad and I have no trouble (with a little to no maintenance) so by far you should go for the iPad 3. If it does become a problem though you can always by a tad more memory with iCloud (correct me if I'm wrong.)

14. Techwriter macrumors regular

It sounds as if you really know what you want. If you "settle" for the iPad 2 when you want the iPad 3, you won't be as satisfied in the long run. Buy the iPad 3 and make it work with the great suggestions other posters have recommended.

15. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

If you manage the apps across both your devices it is manageable although from my experience 16GB wasn't enough if you download the larger games off the appstore - i.e. Modern Combat 3 etc (weights in at 1.05gb).. However, the iPad 3 is BY FAR A BETTER DEVICE. Infact, it's one of the best pieces of technology I've ever bought. The speed knocks spots off the 2 and the retina display is just beautiful.

Go with the new iPad but just be space savvy between that and your iPhone..

16. str8bucs macrumors regular

Any amount of reading will require the new iPad

17. skytears13 macrumors newbie

Been doing a fair bit of pdf reading and the ipad 3 is amazing for reading. When I'm viewing a full page on the screen, the words are completely legible - no zooming required at all! I don't think it would be as nice reading pdfs on the ipad 2 due to the lower resolution (probably more zooming required?)

Dropbox is amazing too...

Space wise though I'm not sure about the 16GB. Papers don't take up that much space (I think the ones I'm reading average around 1MB), but some apps take up a surprising amount of space (I downloaded this game that is 1.2GB...). But if it's light games they might take up less space?

18. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I'd go with the iPad 2, they're both pretty much identical performance-wise.

I know because I tested it out.

19. number84 macrumors 6502

Yes performance wise they are very similar but if you do lots of reading then the iPad 3 wins hands down.

20. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Try both and see what you like:

Ipad 2 pro's over the third is it's lighter, thinner and charges in less time.

Ipad 3 has a better screen, IOS6 should run better on the new processor, the camera is very good downside is a longer charge and some minor issues people are having like when a new product is released.

Safe option is an Ipad 2. If you can't wait and enjoy the latest product and the amazing retina then the third generation it is. :)

21. Igantius macrumors 65816

Although apps are bigger, there was some scaremongering when people claimed that they would be five times the size, citing iMovie as evidence. What they overlooked was what had been added to to iMovie and the assets (e.g. MP3 files) that weren't there before - even if it hadn't been retina-ready, it would have been a lot bigger.

CNET had a good article on this which is worth a look - http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-5...dy-ipad-apps-explode-in-size-not-necessarily/ Personally, from what you said, I think 16GB would be fine for you but it's always nasty thinking it isn't going to be enough!

I wouldn't worry about the warming - as someone said, they haven't had a problem. The temperature can get up to 13 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the iPad 2, but only it seems if you have brightness set to 100% (and even then, it's still okay to hold). I was reading one newspaper article that quoted one user who said that they had noticed it being waker than their iPad but when they turned the brightness down from 100% to 85%, the problem was gone. From me, 85% would be far too high (it's too bright on the iPad 2 for me and the new iPad is meant to be even brighter).

On the subject of brightness, the new iPad is meant to be a lot better for reading on lower brightness settings and this was mentioned in a MacWorld article - http://www.macworld.com/article/1166114/opinion_the_new_ipads_screen_is_underrated.html

It does tend to be games that are the biggest - I think the largest one I've downloaded is The Bard's Tale with is about 1.34GB but most have been under half a gig. The maximum file size in iOS is 2GB, there are constraints.

I have to say I'm pretty bad downloading a game on special offer, which I'm not intending to play for a while but then keeping it on anyway (and when I say 'it', I mean several) - I seem to manage storage so much better when I have less to start with!

It is thinner, but we're only talking 0.81mm (so the new iPad is still thinner from the first one) which I don''t think it's going to be an issue for many. The extra weight will be more noticeable, but I think the extra 50g won't present an issue - but it is a good idea to try them out as you say.

I suspect there won't be much different how iOS 6 runs on either, but I guess we'll see….

22. tanboom macrumors member

Is that so??? Probably, you are living in Antaractica ;)

----------

New iPad is slightly warmer though it doesnt hurt user experience unless you are too fanatic about heat issues:D

23. Mercury6 thread starter macrumors member

Most of you told me what I wanted to hear: get the new ipad :)

I think I'll have about 4-5 GB of apps on it. I don't use apps bigger than 500 MB and most of them are less than 50 MB. So I guess I'll still have about 9-10 GB left for my powerpoints and pdfs. My 16 GB iphone still has 7 GB free so I guess I can manage between the ipad and the iphone.

I'm still undecided but I'll probably go for the new ipad. I plan on keeping it for at least 2 years so why get last year's model.

24. Dane9 macrumors member

NEW IPAD!!

I have a 16GB version and was the best choice, have more than 60 apps, 50 books and 6GB free!!

Go for 16GB if you don't want to put your music library , videos etc

25. Sir David macrumors newbie

If you want to read a lot on your iPad (pdfs and ppts) I would highly recommend the new iPad with its wonderful retina display. You won't regret it!