16-Inch MacBook Pro Production Reportedly Underway as Launch Timing Remains Uncertain

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's widely rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro is likely still coming based on recent supply chain checks by IDC analyst Jitesh Ubrani and Forbes contributor Brooke Crothers, but release timing remains unclear. Crothers is a former contributor to CNET, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal in Asia.

16-inch MacBook Pro concept

"We were expecting an announcement in October," Ubrani said in an email, according to Crothers. October came and went without an announcement, but Ubrani added that his research firm is "starting to see early signs" of the notebook within Apple's supply chain. "However, the timing of this is still uncertain," he said.

Crothers said he has heard similar, writing that "a source in Asia who talks to the Apple supply chain told me over the weekend that the 16-inch [MacBook Pro] is in production but the release date is unclear."

This information lines up with a recent DigiTimes report that claimed Apple will begin receiving volume shipments of the 16-inch MacBook Pro this quarter, possibly to sidestep a 15 percent import tariff on notebooks slated to take effect December 15. If accurate, mass production is likely underway.

Rumors suggest the 16-inch MacBook Pro will feature slimmer bezels around the display, a more reliable scissor switch keyboard, a standalone Touch ID sensor, and possibly a much-requested physical Esc key. Pricing is unknown, but would likely be higher than the $2,799 high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Article Link: 16-Inch MacBook Pro Production Reportedly Underway as Launch Timing Remains Uncertain

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Has Apple ever announced and released a product this late in the year before? Especially a pro product? It’s 5 weeks to Xmas now!

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

sugargliderdude

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2019
“Starting at $3,999!”

“But the 15-inch MBP starts at $2,399?”

“That extra inch doe...”
i doubt there going to continue having a 15-inch MacBook pro when the 16 inch comes out, and i think it will be $2800 start price. Kind of depends on how much they have changed inside.
- - Post merged: - -

With all the Macbook Pro 15's that have $300 off right now they are just cleaning out what is left of the old inventory before a launch soon.
exactly, there going to discontinue the 15 inch macbook pro's

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
i doubt there going to continue having a 15-inch MacBook pro when the 16 inch comes out, and i think it will be $2800 start price. Kind of depends on how much they have changed inside.

exactly, there going to discontinue the 15 inch macbook pro's
This is why I can’t see an off season release if the whole line will change.

Reactions: sugargliderdude

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
It will be released on the day they announce availability for the Mac Pro and the XDR.

I am calling my shot---tomorrow at 9:00 AM CST.

Has Apple ever announced and released a product this late in the year before? Especially a pro product? It’s 5 weeks to Xmas now!
When they announce availability for the Mac Pro and XDR.

srusty05

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
My biggest worry is it will be using nearly 1 year old components. We are not likely going to see updated Intel chips. We could see navi, which was needed. It is just really weird timing for Apple. We are just a few months away from a refreshed lineup. Even if we don't see a design change it will at least be using updated internals. If it is actually in production they can't sit on it long because they are already using old components that will be updated shortly. I just doubt seeing a Macbook Pro launch late November/December when all of the component manufacturers are later in their product cycle.