16 iPhones stolen under my sight !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Max(IT), Dec 27, 2014.

1. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

This morning I was witness of a robbery in the nearest Apple Store. I was waiting to buy a leather case for my new iPhone 6 :cool:, the store was just opened (10:03 am) when a group of 8 teenagers entered the store.
    They started watching the first two desks, where the iPhones were showed. Suddenly every one grabbed two phones and run away (the mall's exit is just a few meters away). A single employee tried to run after them, but he was too slow to catch up.
    I'm healthy and fast, military trained, and I was just a few meters away, but I was just unprepared for that (and I had my 4 years old son with me) so I basically did nothing.

What a stupid robbery. Those iPhones are unusable. They will probably end up as a fraud on eBay..........

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Aren't the devices attached to the display?

At my local Apple store all the devices are attached to the display.

3. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

There was the typical anti thief device attached, but if you pull strong enough it breaks.... And they did.

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Bet these kids are stupid enough to still hang out in this mall later. So only matter of time before they get identified in security video and caught.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Congrats to them on pulling 16 bricks... Dumb

6. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

Yep. There are a lot of security cams, and these kids weren't gypsy or something like that, so I think they'll be identified, sooner or later.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Oh I didn't know that you could break it off. Never thought about it really.

8. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

I feel sorry for the buyer that will be Scummed....

----------

They easily did. The alarm activated, but it was useless.....

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

How do you figure the phones are unusable? They're demo devices and don't have find my iPhone or an iCloud account attached to them. They can be fully reset on iTunes and sold like a lightly used device.

Those guys just made a few thousand in profit along with jail time once they're caught.

10. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

THE Apple employee told me the demo devices are all activated with an Apple account. They are unusable without a password.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I assume activation-locked too. However, people sell activation-locked iPhones on ebay all the time so they'll make off with some $$$ with 16 phones.

12. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

Spare parts?

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, this is true.

14. newellj macrumors 601

In most US malls there are enough cameras that the kids would be caught for sure, sooner rather than later. I assume that security cameras are very common in Italy?

15. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's not like the Apple Store would have Find My iPhone activated.

16. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

They are, like in USA, so I hope they'll be caught.

----------

They can't be remotely wiped, but you still need a password to reset them.

17. 617aircav Suspended

So you contemplated risking your life for a multibillion dollar company?

18. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Not unusual for many of us. It's not about getting the products back for Apple. Apple has insurance, they are not directly out the merchandise. But guess who pays for the insurance? The consumer. Hopefully the criminals get caught. They cost us all money.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So do anal-retentive members who blast through 8-9 iPhones each year until they satisfy their anal retentiveness.

As well as everyone here who deliberately damages their iPhones whenever they desire a replacement under AC+ and think nothing of it.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In my area you can easily sell a "bricked" 6 for $100, maybe slightly more.

----------

Or for doing the right thing. The first thing that comes into my mind isn't daving the "poor company". In assuming in not alone in this.

----------

Cameras are pretty worthless unless these kids are repeat offenders. And buy repeat, I mean they do it often enough that employees start to recognize them.

21. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

22. AlecZ, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

AlecZ macrumors 65816

AlecZ

I wouldn't care about Apple. I'd care about having those brats caught. Still, I wouldn't chase them. You risk your safety, you risk getting in trouble for injuring any of them, and the laws discourage it. If you're injured while going after them, you won't get victim's compensation. And they'd probably just get a slap on the wrist if caught anyway, while you could suffer some great penalty for tackling a teenager if he is injured or if you end up having to defend yourself (especially if there are certain "racial variables" in place). Not worth it.

23. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

This is known as a "smash, grab & run" crime in my state (even though in this case they didn't smash a display case).

While hard to believe, and camera's everywhere, this same robbery occurred at the Apple store close to my home. Even after the video was shown on TV, they (LAPD) still failed to capture the thieves.

24. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

Nope. I contemplated risking my life to caught a thief.

----------

That's so true

25. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

That sucks, but those phones would have been next to useless within the hour and new units put out at the first opportunity.

Apple can take the hit, it's not worth risking your wellbeing by confronting a bunch of thieves. Especially with your kid around. You made the right call.