Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
This morning I was witness of a robbery in the nearest Apple Store. I was waiting to buy a leather case for my new iPhone 6 :cool:, the store was just opened (10:03 am) when a group of 8 teenagers entered the store.
They started watching the first two desks, where the iPhones were showed. Suddenly every one grabbed two phones and run away (the mall's exit is just a few meters away). A single employee tried to run after them, but he was too slow to catch up.
I'm healthy and fast, military trained, and I was just a few meters away, but I was just unprepared for that (and I had my 4 years old son with me) so I basically did nothing.

What a stupid robbery. Those iPhones are unusable. They will probably end up as a fraud on eBay..........

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Aren't the devices attached to the display?

At my local Apple store all the devices are attached to the display.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Bet these kids are stupid enough to still hang out in this mall later. So only matter of time before they get identified in security video and caught.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Bet these kids are stupid enough to still hang out in this mall later. So only matter of time before they get identified in security video and caught.

Yep. There are a lot of security cams, and these kids weren't gypsy or something like that, so I think they'll be identified, sooner or later.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
How do you figure the phones are unusable? They're demo devices and don't have find my iPhone or an iCloud account attached to them. They can be fully reset on iTunes and sold like a lightly used device.

Those guys just made a few thousand in profit along with jail time once they're caught.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
How do you figure the phones are unusable? They're demo devices and don't have find my iPhone or an iCloud account attached to them. They can be fully reset on iTunes and sold like a lightly used device.

Those guys just made a few thousand in profit along with jail time once they're caught.

THE Apple employee told me the demo devices are all activated with an Apple account. They are unusable without a password.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
In most US malls there are enough cameras that the kids would be caught for sure, sooner rather than later. I assume that security cameras are very common in Italy?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
In most US malls there are enough cameras that the kids would be caught for sure, sooner rather than later. I assume that security cameras are very common in Italy?

They are, like in USA, so I hope they'll be caught.

----------

It's not like the Apple Store would have Find My iPhone activated.

They can't be remotely wiped, but you still need a password to reset them.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
This morning I was witness of a robbery in the nearest Apple Store. I was waiting to buy a leather case for my new iPhone 6 :cool:, the store was just opened (10:03 am) when a group of 8 teenagers entered the store.

They started watching the first two desks, where the iPhones were showed. Suddenly every one grabbed two phones and run away (the mall's exit is just a few meters away). A single employee tried to run after them, but he was too slow to catch up.

I'm healthy and fast, military trained, and I was just a few meters away, but I was just unprepared for that (and I had my 4 years old son with me) so I basically did nothing.

What a stupid robbery. Those iPhones are unusable. They will probably end up as a fraud on eBay..........

So you contemplated risking your life for a multibillion dollar company?

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

Not unusual for many of us. It's not about getting the products back for Apple. Apple has insurance, they are not directly out the merchandise. But guess who pays for the insurance? The consumer. Hopefully the criminals get caught. They cost us all money.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not unusual for many of us. It's not about getting the products back for Apple. Apple has insurance, they are not directly out the merchandise. But guess who pays for the insurance? The consumer. Hopefully the criminals get caught. They cost us all money.

So do anal-retentive members who blast through 8-9 iPhones each year until they satisfy their anal retentiveness.

As well as everyone here who deliberately damages their iPhones whenever they desire a replacement under AC+ and think nothing of it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
In my area you can easily sell a "bricked" 6 for $100, maybe slightly more.

----------

Or for doing the right thing. The first thing that comes into my mind isn't daving the "poor company". In assuming in not alone in this.

----------

Cameras are pretty worthless unless these kids are repeat offenders. And buy repeat, I mean they do it often enough that employees start to recognize them.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA

I wouldn't care about Apple. I'd care about having those brats caught. Still, I wouldn't chase them. You risk your safety, you risk getting in trouble for injuring any of them, and the laws discourage it. If you're injured while going after them, you won't get victim's compensation. And they'd probably just get a slap on the wrist if caught anyway, while you could suffer some great penalty for tackling a teenager if he is injured or if you end up having to defend yourself (especially if there are certain "racial variables" in place). Not worth it.

Last edited:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
This is known as a "smash, grab & run" crime in my state (even though in this case they didn't smash a display case).

While hard to believe, and camera's everywhere, this same robbery occurred at the Apple store close to my home. Even after the video was shown on TV, they (LAPD) still failed to capture the thieves.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Nope. I contemplated risking my life to caught a thief.

----------

So do anal-retentive members who blast through 8-9 iPhones each year until they satisfy their anal retentiveness.

As well as everyone here who deliberately damages their iPhones whenever they desire a replacement under AC+ and think nothing of it.

That's so true

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
That sucks, but those phones would have been next to useless within the hour and new units put out at the first opportunity.

Apple can take the hit, it's not worth risking your wellbeing by confronting a bunch of thieves. Especially with your kid around. You made the right call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.