Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

aaronf15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
11
2
I bought a brand new 16" MacBook Pro 1 TB on Tuesday, When I am typing it seems to freeze for a split second then carry on. So yesterday I went back to the apple store I bought it from and they decided to give me a replacement. And now on the replacement I am facing the same issue. I have tried doing a SMC and PRAM reset but still no difference, and also when I got the replacement I set up the computer as a new machine and manually transferred all my files over, so there was no time machine backup etc.

I booked a genius bar appointment again for today, they advised me to reinstall Big Sur and try the computer with a fresh install. I still get the exact same issue with a proper fresh install....



When I first got them they were running macOS Catalina and I updated them to Big Sur - 11.4 .

Can the 16" run Big sur? My 2019 iMac runs it fine and that only has an i5.



Any suggestions would very much be appreciated!
 

immortal21god

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2021
8
1
It's a really common issue with the 16 inch. There are many more issues to come such as fans going at full speed when using an external monitor or thermal throttling. Personally, I would suggest giving the 16 inch back to the Apple Store and getting yourself a new M1 MBA or MBP.
 
  • Like
Reactions: northernlight

mrt.plt

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
101
61
Montreal, Canada
Does it only do it in certain apps? Mine does it in Safari at times, especially when I am typing an address.
I doubt a new MacBook Pro would require an SMC&PRAM reset nor a reinstall of Big Sur, especially considering you set it up as a new Mac.
PS: It is also possible that something like Spotlight indexing is running in the background, slowing the whole computer down.
 

aaronf15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
11
2
It's a really common issue with the 16 inch. There are many more issues to come such as fans going at full speed when using an external monitor or thermal throttling. Personally, I would suggest giving the 16 inch back to the Apple Store and getting yourself a new M1 MBA or MBP.
The reason I have a 16" is because I do video editing, Would the M1 be capable of that? But the fact I have went through two 16"' MacBook Pros with the same issue seems kind of odd to me?
 
  • Like
Reactions: northernlight

aaronf15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
11
2
Does it only do it in certain apps? Mine does it in Safari at times, especially when I am typing an address.
I doubt a new MacBook Pro would require an SMC&PRAM reset nor a reinstall of Big Sur, especially considering you set it up as a new Mac.
PS: It is also possible that something like Spotlight indexing is running in the background, slowing the whole computer down.
For me its happening in all apps, some are worse than others but its still very noticeable in all.
 
  • Like
Reactions: northernlight

immortal21god

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2021
8
1
The reason I have a 16" is because I do video editing, Would the M1 be capable of that? But the fact I have went through two 16"' MacBook Pros with the same issue seems kind of odd to me?
I'm not sure myself about the M1. I suggest you look at the reviews first before deciding anything. However, you could wait for the new M1X or M2 which might release in September or October - given that you're not in a hurry BUT the value of the 16" will drop down significantly if you care.
 

aaronf15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
11
2
I'm not sure myself about the M1. I suggest you look at the reviews first before deciding anything. However, you could wait for the new M1X or M2 which might release in September or October - given that you're not in a hurry BUT the value of the 16" will drop down significantly if you care.
Yeah, sadly my 2018 15" has given up so I kind of need a replacement now. I have a new one today and its exactly the same which is really frustrating.
 

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
1,048
702
Yeah, sadly my 2018 15" has given up so I kind of need a replacement now. I have a new one today and its exactly the same which is really frustrating.
I also just got a new 16" MBP (base model). And yes, typing is sluggish: Safari, PyCharm, Mail. It is very annoying. Right now my computer is still doing things in the setup, and I had hoped once that's done it would be fine. But seems not the case. Hey, this computer should be fast enough to allow ordinary text typing!
 
  • Like
Reactions: northernlight

Pastuh

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
20
4
I never experienced this issue with my 16" MacBook Pro, but I did read of a few on this forum that did the following to stop the problem on their 16" MBP:

System Preferences > General > Use font smoothing when available > OFF.

Changing that took care of ~80% of lags on my new 16" MacBookPro. The other 20% was fixed by disabling graphic card switching. Before turning off the font smoothing I couldn't browse on Chrome or edit text while coding. Now I don't see any lags.
 

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
1,048
702
I never experienced this issue with my 16" MacBook Pro, but I did read of a few on this forum that did the following to stop the problem on their 16" MBP:

System Preferences > General > Use font smoothing when available > OFF.

Changing that took care of ~80% of lags on my new 16" MacBookPro. The other 20% was fixed by disabling graphic card switching. Before turning off the font smoothing I couldn't browse on Chrome or edit text while coding. Now I don't see any lags.
I don't see that option, I even searched for 'font.' Perhaps not in Big Sur? Anyway, wouldn't that make text look worse?
 

Kung gu

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2018
1,379
2,430
The reason I have a 16" is because I do video editing, Would the M1 be capable of that? But the fact I have went through two 16"' MacBook Pros with the same issue seems kind of odd to me?
The M1 can handle video editing and sometimes is better than 16" intel MBP.

The M1 is MUCH more smoother than intel 16".
 

Yebubbleman

macrumors 601
May 20, 2010
4,581
1,354
Los Angeles, CA
I bought a brand new 16" MacBook Pro 1 TB on Tuesday, When I am typing it seems to freeze for a split second then carry on. So yesterday I went back to the apple store I bought it from and they decided to give me a replacement. And now on the replacement I am facing the same issue. I have tried doing a SMC and PRAM reset but still no difference, and also when I got the replacement I set up the computer as a new machine and manually transferred all my files over, so there was no time machine backup etc.

I booked a genius bar appointment again for today, they advised me to reinstall Big Sur and try the computer with a fresh install. I still get the exact same issue with a proper fresh install....



When I first got them they were running macOS Catalina and I updated them to Big Sur - 11.4 .

Can the 16" run Big sur? My 2019 iMac runs it fine and that only has an i5.



Any suggestions would very much be appreciated!
That doesn't seem right. And yes, the 16" MacBook Pros can all run Big Sur (and I'd imagine they do so better than Catalina).
 
  • Like
Reactions: aaronf15

aaronf15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
11
2
I also just got a new 16" MBP (base model). And yes, typing is sluggish: Safari, PyCharm, Mail. It is very annoying. Right now my computer is still doing things in the setup, and I had hoped once that's done it would be fine. But seems not the case. Hey, this computer should be fast enough to allow ordinary text typing!
I know and especially how much they cost!
 

aaronf15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
11
2
I never experienced this issue with my 16" MacBook Pro, but I did read of a few on this forum that did the following to stop the problem on their 16" MBP:

System Preferences > General > Use font smoothing when available > OFF.

Changing that took care of ~80% of lags on my new 16" MacBookPro. The other 20% was fixed by disabling graphic card switching. Before turning off the font smoothing I couldn't browse on Chrome or edit text while coding. Now I don't see any lags.
Could you please guide me where this is because I can't find this in general..
 

Kung gu

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2018
1,379
2,430
Could you please guide me where this is because I can't find this in general..
they took it out in Big Sur. IMO, Big Sur was designed for M1 in mind.
If you want no lag use the AMD graphics all the time.
 

aaronf15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
11
2
they took it out in Big Sur. IMO, Big Sur was designed for M1 in mind.
If you want no lag use the AMD graphics all the time.Bu

But surely the keyboard lag will just get a fix with a software update?
 

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
1,048
702
But surely the keyboard lag will just get a fix with a software update?
Yes, it’s clearly a type of software bug. Everything else on my computer is very snappy.

I also have a 2015 12” MacBook. That is a slow computer, but typing is much smoother than on my brand new 16” MPB!
 

aaronf15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
11
2
Yes, it’s clearly a type of software bug. Everything else on my computer is very snappy.

I also have a 2015 12” MacBook. That is a slow computer, but typing is much smoother than on my brand new 16” MPB!
That reassures me that its not just me! I have a 15" MacBook pro 2018 and that is so slow and that types smoothly too! Its so frustrating when you spend that kind of money but I'm hoping the next update will fix it.
 

Heys

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2021
1
1
I've also seen sluggishness in the Safari address bar (2020 13" MBP, last of the 13" Intels). It's a subtle delay, but still noticeable. My workaround right now: rather than abandon Safari, I've been running Safari Technology Preview (you don't have to be a registered developer to do so) and it's responsive and as snappy as it should be for UI keyboard response. Hopefully whatever STP is doing that good old fashioned Safari is not will migrate into the wide release Safari soon. If nothing else, a quick screen recording session tabbing between the two apps and punching identical content into each address bar will let you document for Apple that it's not a product of your imagination or a small pothole in the space time continuum.
 
  • Like
Reactions: northernlight

Kung gu

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2018
1,379
2,430
1623628106708.png

Turn off Automatic Graphics switching to use AMD graphics all the time. note this will decrease battery life because AMD GPU uses more power
 

pshufd

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
7,438
12,930
New Hampshire
Is it better with Firefox? I'm using a 2015 MacBook Pro with Monterey and typing works as expected. I don't use Safari.

The 16 is much faster than my old system.
 

make_mac_fast_again

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2021
20
5
First, I would recommend checking if you are being thermally throttled.

Run:
Code:
sudo watch -d -t -n1 thermal levels

If CPU >100 then you are being thermally throttled.

Run
Code:
sudo powermetrics --samplers smc |grep -i "CPU die temperature"

What is your CPU temperature? If it is <90, its your VRM.

Best non-invasive fix is to disable TurboBoost.

Also, what is your ambient room temperature?

Unless you do the VRM thermal mod you are going to really struggle to do video editing on external displays.

Also try cleaning your fans.
 

Pastuh

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
20
4
Could you please guide me where this is because I can't find this in general..

 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.