16 or 32 ?? Help

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harleymhs, Mar 18, 2012.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey guys.. I want to get a new ipad.. but cant decide if I should go with a 16 or 32 .. Never had an ipad so I cant decide.. I do have a iphone with some apps some pics and 7oo songs.. and I have some gb left.. I would be sharing the ipad with my wife.. Used mostly for WEB, photos, and some APPs.. nothing crazy.. Probably wont even put our music on it.. I think 16 should be fine but I dont want to choke myself ...then have buyers remorse.. Any help would be cool! Thanks in advance!

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

For the additional $100 I would say just go with the 32GB, then at least you're safe for the most part. Apps seem like they will be bigger than usual on the retina display.

3. Plum. macrumors newbie

Bear in mind that apps made with the Retina Display in mind take up more space than they used to, so you'll start eating through it quite quickly!

Also are you planning to load some movies on there? Go for the 32.

4. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

32gb at least. I went with 64 myself.

5. Sdevante macrumors 6502

FWIW I've had a 32gb (iPad 1), 64gb (iPad 2), and now 16gb (iPad 3). All of my music and movies are on my home computer streaming with home sharing, and I don't play a lot of games so 16gb is working out quite nicely.

Just have to think about if you plan on using lots of games, or keeping lots of media on the iPad.... if you leave yours at home like I do, you might not need the 32.

Then again, extra space is nice if the $100 isn't a big deal to you.

6. waynep macrumors 6502

I never had an iPad until Friday. I thought the 32 would be good but I went ahead and got the 64GB. I only have 3GB remaining . . It's almost full. I have been ripping DVD's and putting some on it. All my music, podcasts, part of an iTunes U course, about 10 movies, and my last 12 months of photos (one of the photo sync options) . . . I am glad I went ahead for the extra space. I would go for the 32 if it's in your budget. I bet you will find uses for it. Better to have some empty than wish you had more I think.

7. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

I'd go w/ a 32gb, especially since you're going to share it w/ your wife and the storage is non upgradeable.

Apps are getting bigger and so are files sizes w/ the resolution increase. So a 32gb would be more prudent.

8. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have nothing crazy. 500 pics, 20 minutes in video, 700 songs, down loaded a dozen or so apps. Free space 19GB.

I would get the 32 if you plan on using it ;)

9. Haziza macrumors member

Haziza

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

11. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I think 32 is the right amount of storage, but if you can easily afford the extra $100 for 64 is a better value.

Of course really it all depends on what you do. If you don't care about intsensive games that take a gig and a half and don't want to store video locally (lots of streaming) then you can certainly get by on 16. And I guess your post implies you don't so yeah you may be able to get by on 16.

12. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Ok yesterday I got a AT&T white 16GB I had a gut feeling about it but I took it home anyways..played around with it and loved it..I don't store any music much maybe 400 or so the most that I really like I stream music/video..i noticed that apps are more bigger so I took it back and got a 32GB I feel comfy now..now that I have a 32Gb for some reason I want a 64Gb but I tot about it and I still have 11GB on my iPhone 32GB plus iCloud storage..so for my use 32GB is a sweet spot..if I got the 64GB I would be just paying for dead memory space that I won't problay even use..I didn't have much stored in the 16GB but it's really 13GB you get to play with because the iOS takes some of the memory..once I saw 9GB left I was like back in the box you go and let's swap it:D

Very happy with 32GB pressure is off..woo love this screen and LTE

13. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

14. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

You'll never regret getting too much storage, but you will most certainly regret getting too little.

15. imeth macrumors regular

Exactly.. Either stay cheap and get the 16 or go 64, for $200 you are getting 48 more. You rather pay $110 for 16GB or $220 for 48GB:) not a care in the world after that.

I am using a 16GB temp and I'm already depressed

16. emaja macrumors 68000

My general opinion -

16GB for light use and web plus streaming all media

32GB for general use

64GB for media hoarders who like to carry a lot with them

I think that unless you plan on storing virtually nothing on your iPad and either stream all media or just use a minimum of apps that most people would want to go with the 32GB just to have the room to not have to worry about carefully managing your apps and media.

17. FullMetalx117 macrumors regular

16gb is perfect I think. I put in all the games i want (infinity blade 2, imovie, gta 3, netflix, etc.), have 200+ songs, 2 pretty big movies (toy story 3, Up) and still have well over 8 Gbs left. We also use iCloud in my house. The 16gb is also the best value for the Consumer if you want to feel like you are not getting totally ripped off.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

19. noteple macrumors 65816

My general opinion -

16GB For those who are new to media tablets and think they will stream everything.

32GB For those who had a 16GB and exceeded their data caps and are tired of being tied to WiFi hotspots.

64GB for those who like having their media with them at all times Or are now sharing their new toy with another family member.

Whatever you choose it will not be upgradeable if you want to upsize later.

20. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Also note you don't get the stated amount of storage as some of it is used for the iOS. I got the 64GB and it said I had 57GB of storage, so where did 7GB go? Then with a 16GB you'd only have 9GB for app's, media etc., so I vote against 16, but for "only" $200 you get 48GB more vs. for $100 you get 16GB more. I rationalized/justified getting the 64GB as it's a better value by getting, in a sense, a free 16GB. :) Anyway, I loaded it up with what I want on it, and I have 10GB left for future app's and media.

21. AppChat macrumors regular

LTE too?

22. Giies macrumors member

i aid go with the 32gb, at first i ordered the 16gb from apple but then with the retina display, all apps gonna take a lot more space so i went to best buy and got the 32gb.

23. rollingstart Guest

OP, you have to do the hard numbers and decide what's best for your needs. Personally I've put every freakin' app I can think of that I actively use or remotely think I can use on my iPad (including Infinity Blade 2 and Real Racing 2), a total of 100+ apps and 11 GB of music on my 32GB and have 4.5 GB remaining. No movies, not a lot of photos but I have Hulu and can get Netflix, or just download 1-2 HD movies on it at a time with that 4.5 GB remaining, and for photos use iCloud or some other cloud based storage.

Some of us have massive storage needs, like ZBoater or Luba, in which case, more power to ya. I'm just saying -- 16 is most definitely workable. It really depends on your personal budget -- financial, or free memory.