160 gig refurbished or 120 gig classic?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbaruch76, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jbaruch76 macrumors newbie

they are both $250 at the apple store. my only question is are the two software versions or whatever the same? like do they both have all the same features? i didn't notice any added features to the new classic.

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You cant go wrong with either, they're both pretty much the same. Just decide whether the extra millimeters are worth the extra 40 GB.

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I'm really considering the new 120. It has a very new model 1-platter hdd. The case is noticeably thinner than the 160.

4. jbaruch76 thread starter macrumors newbie

what does this new model hd do? is it faster? i really keep goign back and forth on which one to get, i can definitely fill up the 160 gig, and i'm not sure if i would care about the extra .1" Are there any problems w/ getting a refurbished ipod if it is straight from apple?

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think the new 120 hdd will respond to changes faster (like looking for another track) and maybe even last longer with a single platter (not having to switch platters to find data). No probs with refurbs. I love my refurb MB.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. You have to decide if the extra storage capacity of the 160 classic, or the sleeker appearance of the newer 120 classic are where your preferences lie. Both are very good machines. Re refurb, it has been rigorously tested by Apple and comes with a standard warranty.

Cheers

7. jampat macrumors 6502a

Not having to switch platters to find data? That doesn't make any sense, Each platter has a set of heads on it. One platter vs two platters should have no impact on longevity or search time. It is possible that the new one is faster because of different firmware or software, or improvements in HD technology, but one platter vs two platter should be immaterial for anything other than physical (and logical) size.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The new iPods that Apple has released are incompatible with many older speaker docks and car stereos. Some of them will be able to control the iPod but none of them will be able to charge it because Apple has removed the connection pin from the 30-pin connector which charges the device via Firewire.

Disappointing to say the least. The old 160GB classic has the pin and will function with all the older docks etc.

9. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Really? So did Apple silently release a new dock, or how far back does this go? Will they work with the latest dock?

Regarding the OP, get the 160, it's not much bigger and you'll regret it less when you fill it up beyond 120 GB!

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

If that's true, I would have no trouble believing it. Apple reaps licensing money on every single 3rd party device that connects to the ipod's port. The more accessories they can get you to buy, the more money they make. That's exactly why when the 6 gen Classic came out a year ago they changed the ipod video out cable connection from a standard cable to a proprietary cable. The standard cable was cheap and delivered exactly the same quality of video output that the new cable delivers, but the new cable is proprietary which means Apple now makes extra money on everyone that wants to output video from their ipod.

Don't kid yourselves, Apple is in business to do mainly one thing - make money for themselves. If Apple can screw over the consumer in hidden ways that most people won't understand is really a money making scheme rather than just due a real technical issue, then they will do it. Don't get me wrong, I think Apple's products are in general much better than the competition's, but don't kid yourselves, just like any other company Apple is willing to do whatever it takes to get the most money out of you.

11. Kilokahn macrumors newbie

I stood in line for 2 hours at the Crocker Park Grand Opening for an iPod 120gb and so far I am not impressed. I had a 160gb go defective on me within the first week of ownership, so I returned it, not before buying a bunch of gadgets for it. Namely this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AV-Video-USB-Ca...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Now I didn't get the chance to try it on the 160gb but I did on the 120gb and it works for like 20 seconds then it stops transmitting and sends the video back to the iPod. Then when I try to send the video back to the TV, it asks me to plug the cord back in. Now of course this isn't the end of the world, but I thought it'd be pretty sweet to watch this on my mobile TV when we're going on a long trip (when my wife is driving of course).

Any ideas besides breaking down to get a geniune Apple version for my 120gb Classic?

Thanks!

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Firewire or bust. Go with the iPod Color model! :D Or the 80 gig fifth gen.

13. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

OK, Thanks and I'm Sorry.:)

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It is true.....

[​IMG]

15. Kilokahn macrumors newbie

Does that mean my 120gb can be used to record audio? Where do I find such a cord to allow me to input this? Can it record line-level audio as well so I can record my airchecks (I work in radio)?

Thanks!

16. 2chewy macrumors newbie

That's a cool chart. Where did you get it?
    I would like to see an updated version.

17. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Don't know if this is of interest, but just to throw it into the discussion... I had / have both the 160GB and th 120GB model, and I don't notice a difference in performance.

18. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Firewire charging still works on the Classic 120GB, iLounge and others have confirmed this.

Having said that I still prefer the 160GB. The Classic is mostly about the storage. Apple took a step back with the decision to discontinue it.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There is no practical difference in speed (loading music is limited by USB speed; for playing you need maybe 20-30 Kilobyte per second and any harddrive can deliver tens of Megabytes per second). Getting refurbished is no problem whatsoever. They are like new (right now 160 GB refurbished iPods most likely _are_ brand new), and if anything is wrong, you have the same warranty as with a new one.