1600 mAh batteries for iPhone - Anyone install one?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bbplayer5, Feb 10, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I just ordered one from eBay with the cable already soldered onto it. Anyone install one of these? The original battery is rated at a laughable 1150 mAh (or something like that) and this will be 1600. Was wondering how much better I can expect the phone battery life. I find during heavy use days, the phone just doesnt hold up well.

Ill post a review once I get the battery installed and work with it for a day or two.

2. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Please do. I charge every day and would like to have better battery life.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I, too, would be interested to read about your experience, both during and after installation. Are you doing this to a 3G or an original iPhone?

4. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

iPhone 3G.

Right now normal use (not heavy) im at around 85% or so at the end of my work day. With the new battery (if 1600 actually gives me the 39% increase it should) I should still be around 100% by the end of my day.

Settings:

3G on - good signal
    Push - On for Calendars contacts and email
    Location services off (would be nice if the battery is that good to have it on)
    Wifi - off (turn on as needed)

So we shall see! Hopefully I get it soon.

5. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Sounds cool. However, given the difficultly of disassembling and reassembling the iPhone, I bet it is a bitch and a half to install.

I must be lucky, but I actually get pretty decent battery life with the iPhone 3G--about the same as I got with the first gen iPhone (around two days of solid iPod use, light phone use and moderate internet browsing takes my battery to ~40-50%) with:

3G Service: On
    GPS Service: Off
    WiFi Link: Off
    Push/Pull/Fetch: Off

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What's wrong with Location Services? It does NOTHING until you use Maps or a GPS app. Simply having it on doesn't drain your battery.

7. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

According to Apple it does.

Doesnt look hard at all. Im used to taking apart apple products anyways, so this will be fun.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

When 2.0 first came out, simply having Location Services on was bad. Now-a-days, it doesn't get used unless you're using Maps or another GPS enabled application. Do you have an article where Apple states this?

9. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Wasn't there a thread or article that actually tested this and found it had no impact in battery life. When I get on a computer I'll ty to find it.

10. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Id be really happy if that was the case.

11. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

How could you have 100% left after using it all day? What would have been powering it all day?

Either way, 85% after a day of normal use seems pretty reasonable to me.

12. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

TheSpaz, you are actually correct I believe. Apple shows how to disable Location Services so that if an app uses it, it will not be enabled. I think some folks read that part as if turning Location Services off itself would increase battery life.

13. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Right but low use days are fewer and fewer lately. Im talking about the battery meter. Technically as soon as you unplug the phone its at 99.99999% it just doesnt show you that.

Right now im at 91% and 3 hours to go in my day.. its going to be below 85 id guess. A battery with 40% more power id be at 99% still.

Besides the battery is only 10 bucks lol.

14. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

OK, well, it's your phone, do what you will.

I just don't see the point for you. It sounds like you could go two days on a single charge; I can't do that and I'm not about to bust open my phone to replace the battery.

What I'm saying is your battery situation is great now, why bother with the time and effort?

But, like I said, it's your world, we're just living in it. ;)

15. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Unless you ignore the fact that it doesnt last thing long on a heavy day. I said on a low usage day its 85%. Some days im in the red.

16. synagence macrumors 6502a

Don't believe the mah figures on cheap ebay batteries .... i've seen some really poor results from cheap batteries

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it would not work like that.
    and do you want to slap a crappy 10.00 battery into your phone that may be worse then what you have right now?

18. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

The disagreements on percentages are simply due to the point of view...

Theoretically, with your current typical use, running a battery rated at 40% more power than your current battery, you will still have more juice remaining in your new battery at the end of the day than your old battery would have at the start of the day. You're looking at it from your old battery's point of view.

However, if you look at it from the new battery's perspective, you will have actually used approximately 9% of your new battery's capacity (vs 15% of your old battery's capacity). So you won't actually be at 100% after a typical day, you'll be a 90% on the meter.

More precisely, until you completely drain and fully charge the new battery to calibrate, it will still show 85% use after your typical day even though you'd still have juice when the battery meter hits 0%.

All that said, I personally wouldn't put an unknown $10 battery in my iPhone. When I bought my Canon camera I bought a cheap 3rd party battery with a higher mAh rating. I have equally switched between the two during their life spans. Over the course of a year the cannon battery is almost the same as the day I got it. The cheap battery which initially lasted longer has lost its ability to stay charged and has swelled to the point that I cannot use it in the camera - I had to pull the battery out with pliers the last time I used it. I wouldn't want a cheap battery swelling behind the glass of my iPhone. But that's just me...

19. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I'm reminded of the article where a guys cell exploded and killed him.

...turns out this guy built his own gun which accidentally went off and hit him and his phone so they thought the phone caused it, but still result could be the same.

"Modder on Macrumors decides to replace iphone battery with cheap aftermarket brand only to have the leaking battery acid melt off his testicles and die on route to hospital."

Oh the things you come up with at 4am :eek:

20. chrisli75 macrumors newbie

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A lead-acid battery in an iPhone? Now, that would be original.

22. aerospace macrumors 6502a

1.China makes knockoffs before the originals even come out...iphone nano
    2.Remember the huge lead issue of 2 years ago...lead paint in Chinese TOYS
    3.Heck even in the US they knew salmonella was in the peanut butter and sold it anyway...Obama should send those Execs to prison for 10yrs

Your surprised someone might make a lead iphone battery?

23. dilipc macrumors newbie

bbplayer, mind sharing the ebay link from where you got the battery? also, I'm awaiting the review which you said you would do on receiving it....

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago