Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
MacRumors Fantasy Hockey Pool!

http://y.ahoo.it/HkF86p6N

-------------------------------------

Pre-season is just a few weeks away and I'm starting to get extremely excited! I already ordered an iPhone skin to cheer on my team! (Go Leafs Go!)

Predictions for this year?

Anyone going to the Winter Classic on January 1st? I'm still trying to get tickets!

My predictions: (No particular order)

Eastern Conference
Metropolitan: Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, Washington
Atlantic: Boston, Toronto, Detroit

Wild cards: New York Islanders, Montreal

Western Conference
Central: Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota
Pacific: Anaheim, Vancouver, Los Angeles

Wild cards: San Jose, Winnipeg (Doubtful, but I'd love to see them in the playoffs)

Last edited:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Anyone going to the Winter Classic on January 1st? I'm still trying to get tickets!

I passed on buying them. I had the opportunity to, but they were endzone seats in the last 20 rows at $149.99 - note, this is sticker price. I decided to skip the ticket and save that $150 towards a Wings Winter Classic jersey. Might tailgate. Definitely will drink/eat all day with friends.

---

Predictions top 3 per division and two conference wild cards for playoffs (no particular order):

Pacific: Anaheim, LA Kings, San Jose
Central: Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville

Wild cards: Vancouver, Dallas

Atlantic: Boston, Detroit, Montreal
Metropolitan: Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders

Wild cards: Toronto, Columbus

Toss up between Dallas/Minnesota and Columbus/Philly for a wild card slot.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Go Bruins!

Bettman should be fired solely for these new division names.

Seriously, "Metropolitan"?

And only 2 of the 7 teams in the Atlantic are even remotely close to the Atlantic...

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I passed on buying them. I had the opportunity to, but they were endzone seats in the last 20 rows at $149.99 - note, this is sticker price. I decided to skip the ticket and save that $150 towards a Wings Winter Classic jersey. Might tailgate. Definitely will drink/eat all day with friends.

Tickets are going to get even more expensive the closer it gets to the actual game. (At least I have a feeling they will) If I do go, I'd like to get decent tickets where you could actually see. Trying to find a hotel is another problem...

Go Bruins!

Bettman should be fired solely for these new division names.

Seriously, "Metropolitan"?

And only 2 of the 7 teams in the Atlantic are even remotely close to the Atlantic...

He seriously needs to go... I do enjoy hearing the boo's as he's giving the Stanley Cup presentation speech. I would miss that if he was gone... :D

-------------
-------------

My predictions: (No particular order)

Eastern Conference
Metropolitan: Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, Washington
Atlantic: Boston, Toronto, Detroit

Wild cards: New York Islanders, Montreal

Western Conference
Central: Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota
Pacific: Anaheim, Vancouver, Los Angeles

Wild cards: San Jose, Winnipeg (Doubtful, but I'd love to see them in the playoffs)

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Jets fans deserve a playoff appearance this year. If you get one, I'll be cheering!

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Kinda sorta/not NHL news -

U.S. Olympic jerseys revealed.

nike_usa_jersey_2-up_large_large.jpg

U.S. jerseys are crap. Those fake stars? The fake laces? The logo looks funny too. I say the blue is barely bearable. The white is just trash. Thanks Nike.

Russia's revealed yesterday.

alex-ovechkin-russian-olympic-jersey1.jpg

Clearly Russia's is much better - even with the fake laces.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
The U.S. jersey reminds me of a MLS jersey... It looks awful.

I'm really interested in seeing what Canada is going to do... I hope they stay true to their roots and use a similar jersey to what they've been using in the past. I don't want to see many changes to an already stunning jersey.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Those jerseys are beyond awful. Typical NIKE ****ing everything up yet again.

Hopefully Canada's jersey's aren't that bad... I'll probably end up rooting for them (not because of the jerseys though ;))

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
The 2013-14 NHL Season Thread

I'm just hoping for a semi successful season for the Oilers.

They have the young talent to be the next Chicago Blackhawks. They just need to work on maturing and becoming responsible on the ice. Hockey is a two way game.

They have a great new coach, and I expect a non-embarrassing season from them. This will be the year those question mark players need to show up and prove they deserve a spot on that team.

I can see the Oilers becoming the team to beat in a few seasons from now.

Last edited:

krazykleo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Everywhere and nowhere
I wonder how my lovely Canucks will perform with Lou back in net. I was heartbroken when stupid Gillis traded Schneider :(. Hopefully the two 1st round draft picks come through!!! Otherwise hockey is hockey to me and I am looking forward to it!! :D

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Would anyone be interested in joining a MacRumors fantasy hockey league? (Would be through Yahoo). If we get enough people interested, I'll create one.

Seniordan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Canada
They have the young talent to be the next Chicago Blackhawks. They just need to work on maturing and becoming responsible on the ice. Hockey is a two way game.

They have a great new coach, and I expect a non-embarrassing season from them. This will be the year those question mark players need to show up and prove they deserve a spot on that team.

I can see the Oilers becoming the team to beat in a few seasons from now.

Yeah I think they are definitely on the right track, they made some good pick ups in the off season that should help a lot. But I can definitely see them being one of the top teams in the near future.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I wonder how my lovely Canucks will perform with Lou back in net. I was heartbroken when stupid Gillis traded Schneider :(. Hopefully the two 1st round draft picks come through!!! Otherwise hockey is hockey to me and I am looking forward to it!! :D

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Vancouver is going to be the same problem as last year - and it's not going to be between the pipes. Declining Sedins, poor offensive depth, and a solid but overpaid defensive core. Maybe some of those forwards drafted will work out.

Would anyone be interested in joining a MacRumors fantasy hockey league? (Would be through Yahoo). If we get enough people interested, I'll create one.

I'd be interested.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I'll create one then. Already 3 people interested (including myself), and I'm sure we could get 3-5 more people. I'll create the league once registration opens.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I know most of you don't care but my Bruins extended Pete Chiarelli for 4 years today. Best GM in the league.:D

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I know most of you don't care but my Bruins extended Pete Chiarelli for 4 years today. Best GM in the league.:D

He is definitely the best GM in the league right now. Or at least tied with Shero for guys running top tier teams and still able to make those key additions for cup runs.

Let's do a Macrumors fantasy pool!

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Already in the works! :D

How do you like the new jerseys for Dallas? I'm not really a fan. They do look much better than the previous set of jerseys, but I just feel they could have done a lot better.

I like them. They're definitely an improvement over the old ones.

I'm curious on AustinIllini's perspective as a Stars fan on the Boston-Dallas blockbuster from earlier this summer.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
They look okay. Jerseys nowadays are modified to look better on tv, hence the horrible colours or real life impressions that often times we don't like.

dallas-stars-new-jerseys-benn-modano.jpg

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I like them. They're definitely an improvement over the old ones.

I'm curious on AustinIllini's perspective as a Stars fan on the Boston-Dallas blockbuster from earlier this summer.

I think both teams won the deal. Stars gained a lot putting their best player back to his natural position and getting a young star and Boston gained a heck of a player.

They look okay. Jerseys nowadays are modified to look better on tv, hence the horrible colours or real life impressions that often times we don't like.

This. Green tends to look black on ice, hence the goofy green they use. I like the new look a lot, but it's not as classic as I was hoping for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.