Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Looks like they're not just looking to rip off phone design.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24023430

British manufacturer Dyson is suing Samsung over claims that the South Korean firm "ripped off" one of its inventions.

The dispute centres over the launch of the Motion Sync vacuum cleaner which the South Korean firm showed off at the Ifa tech show in Berlin last week.

Dyson alleges that the machine infringes its patent on a steering mechanism for cylinder cleaners.

Samsung has rejected its rival's accusation.

"We will take all necessary measures, including legal actions, to protect our technological innovation against Dyson's groundless claims," said a spokeswoman.

Dyson said it had issued proceedings in the High Court in England, but has not said whether it wished to block the sale of Samsung's product or impose a licence fee.

"This looks like a cynical rip-off," said Sir James Dyson, the firm's founder.

"Samsung has many patent lawyers so I find it hard not to believe that this is a deliberate or utterly reckless infringement of our patent.

"We have been forced to issue proceedings in the English High Court, but I would much rather invest in research to develop new technology than have to sue."
'Swift motion'

Dyson first filed a patent for its steering mechanism in 2009.
James Dyson Sir James claimed Samsung was guilty of a "cynical rip off" of his firm's technology

It describes a way to allow the device to rapidly spin quickly from one direction to another on the spot, and to follow the user's path rather than just being dragged behind, in order to prevent the vacuum getting snagged on corners.

It said the system took three years to develop and has since been used in two of its models.

Samsung's marketing materials for its new vacuum cleaner specifically highlight the "revolutionary" design of its swivel body machine saying it "makes swift motion for sudden turns much easier".

The firm rejected the idea that it achieved this by copying Dyson.

"The Samsung Motion Sync is an outcome of our own extensive research and development," added a spokeswoman.

This is not the first time the two firms have clashed in the UK courts.

In February 2009 a judge ordered Samsung to pay Dyson about £600,000 after it tried to patent the British firm's existing "triple-cyclone" suction technology.

Dyson has also sued Hoover, Vax and Bosch in the past to protect its technologies, with varying success.

Shameless

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
This is why I hate samsung. They have no sense of design.

Dyson made a great design for their stuff, just as apple has, make your own!!!!

I haven't supported samsung for the last 3 years. I only own 1 Samsung product, and it is a monitor.

I Switched to LG and Apple for my preferred Electronics, and kirby for vacuums!!

Don't support companies that cheat.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
This is why I hate samsung. They have no sense of design.

Dyson made a great design for their stuff, just as apple has, make your own!!!!

I haven't supported samsung for the last 3 years. I only own 1 Samsung product, and it is a monitor.

I Switched to LG and Apple for my preferred Electronics, and kirby for vacuums!!

Don't support companies that cheat.

I don't understand why they keep doing it. Surely there would be more pride in making your own work?

Bizarre :confused:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
This is more of a legit case than Apple's. But still, rather unacceptable of Samsung. 0/10.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How many other companies have ripped off Dyson. Seems like all the vacuum's now use the cyclonic design.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Do we really care about vacuums?

BTW ... Good for Samsung. I heard they added a feature that the vacuum shuts off when you look away from it and turns back on when you look at it.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Definitely my G7 Diamond rocks and will still do so 20 years from now. Then after a quick rebuild it'll do another 25.

I love my G7, perfect for my ground floor.

For upstairs, I have a Kirby from 1957, its a 517. Was found in my great grand parents house when we finally cleaned it out a few years ago.

You wouldn't think they would refurbish it. Wrong, 380 dollars later, I had the same unit that looked brand new with most of the orginal parts, just cleaned up.

Now thats what I call reliable. over 50 years old, still beats a dyson. Cleans better to.

Last edited:

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
If Samsung are ripping off Dyson its products can only get worse.

James Dyson created a kind of 'genius inventor' mystique/marketing gimmick around himself but his products are very poor.

'Bagless vaccuum cleaners that retain their suction'. No they don't. They're utter junk compared to a £99 Numatic Henry, the best domestic vacuum you can buy at any price. I've used the same Henry machine several times a week around the house, to clean the car, even to suck up heavy building dust and light rubble. Still going strong.

My mum, for some reason, still likes Dyson cleaners even though she gone though about 6 of them (they aren't very reliable) in the time I've had a Henry. She even bought me a handheld Dyson as a Christmas gift. No idea what it's supposed to suck up - fairy dust? Doesn't pick up anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.